18 TZ Vegas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlKemnitz

This is my other mod Vegas - Der Red Max (trim scheme from my model rocketry youth!)

RedMax1.jpg

RedMax2.jpg

RedMAx3.jpg

RedMax4.jpg

OS 18TZ (no mods)

Cooper .18 Quiet Pipe

Associated Header

Stock Rudder/Strut

Grim UL-1 Turn Fin

Octura Y535 prop

Sponson Mod

30% Nitro

Thanks for looking!

Cool boat . I'm looking at putting in a tz in my mv. Is there a lot of fab work to get it sitting in there. it looks straight forward? . also what flywheel,header and pipe are you using . I want to order everthing at once. thanks

Cool boat . I'm looking at putting in a tz in my mv. Is there a lot of fab work to get it sitting in there. it looks straight forward? . also what flywheel,header and pipe are you using . I want to order everthing at once. thanks
Not really any fab work. Motor drops right into the stock mounts. I used a Cooper .18 Quiet pipe (www.cooperpipes.com), but people also run a Macs 2.5 pipe. The Cooper is definitely very quiet, but a little pricey. If you run the Cooper pipe, the radio box needs to be moved over a little.

Here's a link for the header: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCKP4&P=7

Flywheel is this one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCB06&P=7

Coupler: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfh5mm15

Fuel tank is the Sullivan 6 oz slant.

For cooling, I just cut some alum tubing, bent them into U shapes, placed them between the fins, and connected with fuel line. This way, I can adjust how much cooling the engine gets.

Hope that helps.

HI karl . I just ordered my tz engine today but wondered if the flywheel that you use is to close to the hull for a belt start setup? also whitch tz engine should i get the tz with the turbo slide carb or the roto carb ??

HI karl . I just ordered my tz engine today but wondered if the flywheel that you use is to close to the hull for a belt start setup? also whitch tz engine should i get the tz with the turbo slide carb or the roto carb ??
I bought the version with the rotary carb, mainly because that's what I was familiar with.

The flywheel is pretty close, but I was able to use a belt starter initially. I have removed my belt now and just use the pull start. Initially though, the belt helped alot. Now that its good and broken in, she starts right up on one or two pulls.

If you find yours is too close, you could just add enough thin washers to get the clearance you need, and adjust the stuffing tube up to match. Thats what I had to do on my .32 mod - that flywheel is big.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my os.21tm but was wondering if i could find a water cooled head to fit.thanks for link to header i've been looking for one.

hay karl i finaly got my tz today ,it cool. i am putting the associated header on and it rubs with the pull start. did you cut the bottom of the header flange off to fit?

Make sure you really take your time breaking it in. Keep her nice and rich at first. Slooooowly leaning it out. I probably went through about ten tanks of fuel with mine.

thanks for the tip . what plug did you use for break in ? did you break it in in the water or in the boat on the bench. since it's a buggy engine dose it have to have load on the engine.

thanks for the tip . what plug did you use for break in ? did you break it in in the water or in the boat on the bench. since it's a buggy engine dose it have to have load on the engine.
I used the O'Donnell 77T Turbo plug (and still do - 30% nitro). Check Tower Hobbies - they have great prices on them. I broke it in completely on the water, but have heard people breaking them in on the bench. I prefer to break them in under the conditions that they will be operating under; same % nitro, on the water, etc.

Have fun!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAY5&P=7

Last edited by a moderator:
Your going to want to run a bigger prop on that, it will swing a 40 mil prop with ease. Also, the TZ loves to run hot, no need for water coolling, I would get rid of it all.

Your going to want to run a bigger prop on that, it will swing a 40 mil prop with ease. Also, the TZ loves to run hot, no need for water coolling, I would get rid of it all.
I've tried a bigger prop, but it seems to bog the engine down. I raised the strut up to the point of cavitation as well.

No water cooling at all? She gets pretty hot as is with the cooling. I was worried I might be running her too lean?

I just ordered a tz from tower and in going to add a os cvr cooling head os said 220 is max for the engine on temp and i run 50 to 60 % fuel so i have to have a way to cool her.its easy just mach the head to the button and make the cvr cooling head holes a bit biger to match the tz head boltsP1020091.jpgThis one Mike did.

I just ordered a tz from tower and in going to add a os cvr cooling head os said 220 is max for the engine on temp and i run 50 to 60 % fuel so i have to have a way to cool her.its easy just mach the head to the button and make the cvr cooling head holes a bit biger to match the tz head boltsView attachment 17021This one Mike did.
There is a lot more to it than that. First off, that is NOT a CVRM head on that engine in your pic. Second, the CVRM head button has a channel in its mounting flange that goes over the top of the cylinder in the CVRM. The cylinder in a TZ does NOT stick up above the case. Third, the TZ head button has a volume of about .20 CC, the CVRM has a volume of about .26 CC. So, if you made it fit, you would lose compression over the stock TZ head. So there is a lot more to it than just "making the CVR cooling head holes a bit bigger..."

Sean

I just ordered a tz from tower and in going to add a os cvr cooling head os said 220 is max for the engine on temp and i run 50 to 60 % fuel so i have to have a way to cool her.its easy just mach the head to the button and make the cvr cooling head holes a bit biger to match the tz head boltsView attachment 17021This one Mike did.
There is a lot more too it than that. First off, that is NOT a CVRM head on that engine in your pic. Second, the CVRM head button has a channel in its mounting flange that goes over the top of the cylinder in the CVRM. The cylinder in a TZ does NOT stick up above the case. Third, the TZ head button has a volume of about .20 CC, the CVRM has a volume of about .26 CC. So, if you made it fit, you would lose compression over the stock TZ head. So there is a lot more to it than just "making the CVR cooling head holes a bit bigger..."

Sean
tell it like it is sean... you know these motors inside and out way to well......the last thing I remember wright,A-Zracing subpost to making head bottons and water coolong bottons for the TZ.. I dont think they done them yet?I know they do have the headers for the TZ to fit into the proboats...

Thanx for the correction I rote cvrm head but that is an auq 18 water cooling head with the tz button it is a little more work but not to much and it dose work I have seen that engine run I will know more when the engine gets here.

Latest posts

Back