.12 Riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
years ago I tried hard to promote this class. Is a lot bigger now than when I started. For a while I even had a 12riggers.com website. It is a fun class.
Would be nice to see this class grow everybody start posting pics an videoRunning 2015 an up the record this coming year WHO will break 100 FIRST

Mike walker and I were just discussing this class the other night, he has a nasty little jae with a .12 novarossi in it that I would like to see in a heat race but there is very little interest in the riggers it seems in the d14 area , not sure why because these are some pretty cool race boats , and fast !!! I have two jae 12's and would love to race them, I hope the interest in this class comes back.
I let Dennis run my .12 rigger in the open class this year in Madison and he won. I would like to race mine more. The good news is that I saw more .12's and raced my .12 more this year than ever. Kevin Sheren and Mark Sholund have helped a lot to get people running them this year.

While we are talking about .12 Riggers, here are a few videos from the Kentley Porter's Camp and his Team Camp with Scott Liddycoat running Novarossi .12 Engines!!!! Enjoy.

Porter/Liddycoat

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one,, not done yet but I got one.,. lol.. I have had it for about 5 years and just cannot get it done..lol

peashooter........... pweaw........pweaw........... lol

Cute as a BUG!

(from my own plans)

Grim

peashooter........... pweaw........pweaw........... lol

Cute as a BUG!

(from my own plans)

Grim
Too Funny
default_laugh.png
default_tongue.png
default_biggrin.png
I like this Peashooter

Ken,

I have one also. Peashooter 12

I will take some photos and send them to you.

I very good friend of mine sent me one five years ago.

I am finishing it up with my other 12 Hydro. You can post

my photos if you would like to.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I don't know how they're doing in your neck of the woods but the class is picking up steam in IMPBA D-2 and some in D-4 and 14.
Yes indeed. at our Saginaw classic in D2 (MI) we had a good size class August 2014. Great Class. fast is affordable!

Jim

Thanks for sharing the videos.
You're welcome. Since we are on this .12 topic, it would also be interesting to hear the comparisons between those running flex cable and those rinning wire setup. Thanks.

I have a .12 JAE with a novarossi. I had it going 63 mph in heat race trim with the wire drive. Unfortunately, after breaking the second wire drive and losing two good props :-( I switched back to a .150 cable and now I am at 61 mph, which is actually still so fast I need to find a larger turn fin for the boat. The .12 boats are a lot of fun, but can be very difficult. We have spent years trying to figure them out. Countless unsuccessful launches. We had lots of help from Mark Sholand and Glen Quarles and others and finally got them running pretty good. Light weight is crucial. A props4u Lynx cut 40 x 53 works very well. Also, I found it really likes a hot glow plug. I use a novarossi #5 turbo plug.

It is very obvious to me that I have been away for some time. I have never had my 12 rigger in the 60mph range. even though I know the prototype did about 50, I honestly do not think I had mine past the 45 mark. Looks like I need to read up on some of the tweaks and tunes everyone has made. When I went overseas, there wasn't a marine .12 engine, but it appears there is now.

I really liked the wire set-up, but reliablity was not there for us. Greg and I eventually broke the 0.063" wires at the collet or sometimes at the stub shaft. We went back to flex cables to try and finish and win races. We are using ball bearings in our struts and light oil rather than grease in the tubes.

A number of years ago Rod Geraghy and I independently tested the drag in S bend shaft logs vs a gradual bend approach. I used a motor and a motor/generator to meaure watts in vs watts out in both situations. We both found the S bend to be lower drag, but in my case, I don't think I loaded the system with enough axial thrust. Don't know what Rod did in that regard. Greg and I have however abandoned S bends in all our boats. We have found the gradual bend gives higher speed. (We actually burned up the wood inside our radio box at the S bend in Greg's 21 hydro due to the heat generated there).

Regarding the 12's. In real estate there are 3 important things: location, location and location. In 12 hydros, there are also 3 important things: weight, weight and weight. Until we got our weight down to 2 lbs, we had problems. We are running 65% nitro, 9% oil (20% castor), 0.006" head clearance, Orlic carbs, and Buaas carbon pipes (Greg aTexan and me a Raptor) at about 6.5", hot turbo plugs, air cooling, slightly pitched up and barr cut 438 props from Zipp. That gets us into the 60s for speed. This is not real fast compared to what I hear others are doing down south. Maybe they will weigh in here and tell us all how to get to 80?

Back