.12 mono questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT1

1. What engine is best for its price?

2. What type of hardware to use?

3. what type of prop to use?

4. Any suggesstions?

JT1 said:
1. What engine is best for its price?
2. What type of hardware to use?

3. what type of prop to use?

4. Any suggesstions?

72471[/snapback]

Oh boy, here we go again! :lol:

Best for its price? Right now maybe the OS TR, it seems to work pretty well from what I've seen, I just bought one.

Hardware. Whatever fits in your budget. I've been using Octura or a combination thereof. You will be needing their flex cable collet at least. The OS flywheel seems to be the one of choice for that duty.

Prop? Whatever the boat likes. That will depend on the motor and the rest of your setup.

What hull do you have or which one do you have in mind? Surface or sub-surface drive? This all figures in. I hAve one of my monos set up so that I can quickly swap struts and flex cables so that I can use either a 1/8" or 3/16" prop shaft so I have a larger choice of props to pick from.

What hull are you using? Ron what hulls do you have for .12 mono. I've looked for one but have had no luck really.

What are you hiding over there? (kidding)

I've recently seen one of the Ofna / Picco engines run and it was pretty impressive too. One point on hardware, I would NOT BBY racing hardware.

I put it on one boat trying to save some money and I regret it. FineDesignRC has some good looking stuff. Never used it though.

posted by anthony,

One point on hardware, I would NOT BBY racing hardware.
Just out of curiosity, what went wrong? I'm looking for hardware for my father/daughter project boat, Dumas Lil Rascal thats coming together nicely. I know that there are better boats out there, but it's the one we're building so we'll have to deal with it and hope that it turns out pretty good with decent speed.

I've got 2 mono hulls right now, one that was an experiment by an area hull builder and the other a Wild Thing .12 from Grimmie. A lot of electric boats can be converted with a little extra work, radio box and engine rails.

Most 12 cell and up boat hardware will work on a .12 mono.

Anthony, yes I'm hiding something. I can't say any more right now.

Ron Olson said:
I've got 2 mono hulls right now, one that was an experiment by an area hull builder and the other a Wild Thing .12 from Grimmie. A lot of electric boats can be converted with a little extra work, radio box and engine rails.Most 12 cell and up boat hardware will work on a .12 mono.

Anthony, yes I'm hiding something. I can't say any more right now.

72568[/snapback]

How did you get that Wild Thing? I've hit him up few times and he says they aren't ready yet and to check back soon. I'm not a very patient person,... to me soon means in a few minutes!

dannyual767 said:
posted by anthony,
One point on hardware, I would NOT BBY racing hardware.
Just out of curiosity, what went wrong? I'm looking for hardware for my father/daughter project boat, Dumas Lil Rascal thats coming together nicely. I know that there are better boats out there, but it's the one we're building so we'll have to deal with it and hope that it turns out pretty good with decent speed.

72567[/snapback]

I bought a hardware kit and had a few problem to start. First the strut tube was not perpendicular to the bracket. It leaned forward. He replaced that free of charge though. The rudder is VERY sloppy. The end of the blade can move side to side about 1/4 inch. The contol arm on the rudder is a about 1/4 in thread and it's a corse thread so it has a TON of slop in it too. I don't want to bash BBYRACING as a vendor at all. We need all we can get. I'm sure he has some better products. I just didn't happen to buy them. For about $20 more on the hardware kit you can get 2x the quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was last Winters building project. Whether or not he is still building them I don't know.

Ron Olson said:
That was last Winters building project. Whether or not he is still building them I don't know.
72575[/snapback]

Is yours wood? I think he's making molds to make a glass one.

Yup, mine is the wood one. There's 2 pix of it on his site that he took just before he shipped it to me.

Ron Olson said:
Yup, mine is the wood one. There's 2 pix of it on his site that he took just before he shipped it to me.
72594[/snapback]

Ron and Anthony

True Ron has a wood one.. the new ones will be glass and are very trick. You can see a picture of the boat at www.grimracer.com in the boats page.

The new wild thing 12 will now be called the Wild Thing 26. The 26 stands for....bup..bada..bup bada...baaaaaaaa....its length.. quite original dont you think.

Grim

Thanks for saying something Mike! I was about to burst trying to hold it in! Phil let me in on it a few weeks ago. He told me that I had to keep it quiet until you let it loose. I've had other asking me on other sites about a good .12 mono hull so now I can let them know also. I love mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimracer said:
Ron Olson said:
72594[/snapback]

Ron and Anthony

True Ron has a wood one.. the new ones will be glass and are very trick. You can see a picture of the boat at www.grimracer.com in the boats page.

The new wild thing 12 will now be called the Wild Thing 26. The 26 stands for....bup..bada..bup bada...baaaaaaaa....its length.. quite original dont you think.

Grim

72597[/snapback]

Hey..... ive got a .26 engine.... think it will fit B)

Sure Tom! Figuring that the Wild Thing .21 is 29" long, you know that someone would want to shoehorn a bigger motor into it. I've heard of .45's stuffed into the .21 version so why not! Ya know that somebody is gonna do it.

ive got 2 .12 monos

one i got from Herb Stewart b/c him and my dad were really good friends so he basically Gave it to us hardware and hull

the other is a seaducer-type boat that my dad created while he was bored over the winter

it is a surface drive and will have octura strut and rudder

i have a trinity/picco .12 pullstart but the rod warped and now i cant find a replacement part for it

Trinity's website doesnt even have it

any suggesstions here guys?

JT, I've got one! The rest of the motor was fine except I broke the crank at the threads. I picked up another complete motor for $40.00 so I have parts. One of the LHS's had a Trinity/Picco .15 and if they still have it I can scrounge some parts off that too.

PM me and we'll talk.

thanx for the offer Ron but i went out today and bought a new motor

the megatech .16 motor ? supposedly a drop-in for the 2.5 t maxx

it is wicked looking! ill get some pics up ASAP but have to buy prop and other things first

o yeah i also bought the rod from trinity

Back