1/8 Scale Unlimited

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenBeller

Plan to build and 1/8 sacle Oh Boy Oberto from a carbon fiber RC Boat Company. Can anyone advise best motor to use. I was planning on making it a 10S boat. Any experiece with this or suggestins would be appppreciated.

ken

Plan to build and 1/8 sacle Oh Boy Oberto from a carbon fiber RC Boat Company. Can anyone advise best motor to use. I was planning on making it a 10S boat. Any experiece with this or suggestins would be appreciated.

ken
I'll be using the Neu 1527 1.5Y with 8mm shaft in my 10S 1/8 scale. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not going to race it, I would suggest a Castle 2028. If you are going to race it, then most of the clubs have a gentlemen's agreement to run the Neu 1527 1.5Y.

The 2028 is a great motor for it but the 1527 1.5y will better suit a 1/8th scale hull. Size and weight is much more forgiving for the 1/8th scale enviroment. I too will run a 1527 1.5y in my 1/8th scale u-31 circus. Doesnt hurt to weigh a little less. The 1527 is the legal power plant for fe scale in IMPBA.

Just thought I add that Jeff Ross's graphics kit was killer for the pay n pak If you were wondering the quality. He uses nice vinyls. I think the 2028 will end up an FE gas counterpart on 8 or 10slipo. Something we may need to talk about in d12, and the other districs, so the fe guys can run at gas heavy events.

Hugh

Last edited:
Brian Buaas has been running my old Dave Frank Executone to NAMBA two lap records and Electric Nationals class wins. It was equipped with a Scorpion HK 4035 800, a Castle ICE 200 lite ESC with added water cooling, and two Gens Ace 5300 4S packs in series. The Scorpion isn't cheap, but it's durable as is the Castle ICE ESC. The cost should be in the $550 to $600 area depending on the street prices. We melted a lot of less expensive components before settling on these. We're pulling around 150 amps, but could pull more with these components, if needed.

Brian added to the battery with 2 more 4S 5000 mah packs giving an 8S 2P setup and did pull more current at the nationals, toasting one Scorpion. He propped down and still easily won with a spare motor. I just finished converting the boat to Neu power with the 1527 1.5Y. It should be faster still with currents in the 200 amp range. The increases in Scorpion pricing make the Neu motors competitive.

Lohring Miller

Neu motors have always been the best "we" have and truly when you look at what the nitro guys pay for a good .67 both motors are a great deal IMHO the scorpion can and will pull over 200 amps in the right setup. The higher pole outrunners make masive torque but the craftsmanship and materials used in a neu are top notch!! Either are good choices but more importantly in FE is making sure you have a stable power supply and finding the right prop! Please post the build when you begin.

I think Offshore Electrics has the 'best' price at the moment http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=neu-1527&cat=117

I did spend some time chatting with Lucien Miller at Innovative Designs in regard to the Scorpion 4035/800's and he is modifying one of the turbax fan motors for me. I was able to 'persuade' him into stocking some 4035/800's with 8mm shafts for us boaters in the future.

Mike

Back