1 / 8 Scale Shovel Nose Hydro - Zenoah motor

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall Fella

Hello everybody .

This is a enquiry from Australia . 1 of our members over here who is not on International Waters has a 1 / 8 Scale Shovel Nose Hydro with a Zenoah motor that has the cylinder reversed , so that as he says , the carby is out of the spray of water coming off the turn fins from other boats . Is there any performance issues with doing this . Some of the members at my home club , Model Boat Club of N.S.W. Inc are trying to get a 23 cc 1 / 8 Scale Hydro class up and running and usually these boats don't have dummy engines . Does anybody know of a manfacturer of dummy motors that will fit these boats that have Zenoah motors in them . I look forward to reading your replies .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the 2 port older model 230 zen no problem thats the way crakerboxes used to be riged. The 231 and 260 engines have 4 ports and if the jug is reversed the performance will be poor if it runs at all. Sounds like a fun idea for a new class.

So long as modifier has blended in the cases to match transfer passages, it will run the same ... * Except *

* Cylinder in the stock position places piston thrust under the power stroke against the intake side cylinder wall. This helps seal the intake port better resulting in less fuel spit back from carb, and has piston thrusting against the better lubricated and cooler temperature intake side.

** Reversed, piston thrust is placed on the drier & hotter exhaust side of cylinder and a greater gap is opened up on the intake side from having piston thrust no longer against it.

Net result, easier to seize up, greater fuel spit back and a tad less stability on mixture adjustments, not able to run as lean for max HP because of the aforementioned reasons :huh:

Just curious if there are any up dates on this one. I'm also curious as to whech engine is in the boat

Back