1/4" S bend stuffing tube question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeP

I bent a stuffing tube for a 1/4" shaft with an S, it seems to have more drag than expected. I use the S bend on 3/16" and didn't notice the friction like I do with the 1/4"

So the question is do those of you that prefer S bends do it on 1/4" as well?

Thanks in advance

MikeP

hey mike,

I use a s - bend on all my boats and it works out fine.. i think it helps with vibrations more so that drag. but it works great..

I also do this on all the boats that i sell.

chris

With the S bend there is way to much drag with 1/4.Its better to keep it straight and as it exits the hull make your bend it just spin's better.With the 1/4 it hits in the first bend and in the second which you lose rpm I found this out when I built my circus circus.Plus with using the S bend bigger props won't bite cause of the drag on the shaft.Hope this helps.shann

I think the key word here is "gentle" S bend the cable should turn freely when installed. I use the S bend on 3/16 and 1/4 cables. I also feel that it does make a difference. It also enables you the get the motor mounted lower in the hull of the boat, thus lowering the center of gravity. :D :D

I think the key word here is "gentle" S bend the cable should turn freely when installed. I use the S bend on 3/16 and 1/4 cables. I also feel that it does make a difference. It also enables you the get the motor mounted lower in the hull of the boat, thus lowering the center of gravity. :D :D
Yea your right on both Jerry, "S" bend needs to be minor, not major. It will let you mount motor

lower in Monos and it does free up drive shaft friction, thats what I have seen. I won't go back

to one shallow curve. Rod G has tested this, and it's on the board somewhere.

I have found for an S bend to be successful, you must follow the continuous flow and shape that the driveline wants to take, not where you want it to go.

On a big piece of paper, I lay out exactly the way or angle the motor fits in the tub of my boat. I then draw the strut and where it sits in relation to the motor in the boat. I then lay the driveline on the paper from the motor collet to the strut.

This will give the natural curve of the driveline, the shape to make your shaft log, and will even show you where to cut the hole in the bottom of your hull. I mainly do this with Scale Unlimited hulls and Sport 40 hulls.

Thanks,

Al Waters

Make an adapter for the cable and a car electric motor and use an amp meter to measure the amp draw at a given voltage. The higher the amp draw the more friction. The slight S bend draws les than the single bend. You can also check out differant lubes and if you want to use the teflon liner or not. Simple but useful tool.

Latest posts

Back