0ut riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn

Hi guys,

I am building my first out rigger, a Dumas Hawk 40. I am fairly new to r/c boats. I have built a few Dumas boat kits in the past but they never saw water. I am really fasinated by the looks of these out rigger boats and decided I had to build one.

After doing some research on these riggers, I learned that Gary Preusse designed the Hawk kit and races them. I gave him a call and now I have one kit on the way. He is also sending me the updated sheet on this kit.

There seems to be alot of out rigger guys on this forum. That's good. I do not plan to race this boat at the present time. I relize this boat is designed for right hand turns at full bore! I want to enjoy the building and running of this kit.

I am going to try to make a few NAMBA meets in my area to see these riggers run and get some set up tips. I am asking you guys who run riggers and especially Hawks for some help. Any construction tips...hardware...engines...props...setup tips would be appreciated and pictures of Hawks all set up would be a big help.

Keep in mind I might be out at the pond by myself and have no one to dial this in for me. I able enouf to build the kit and finish it. I can put a motor in and run a shaft at a real basic level. I am not sure what side the rudder goes or the water pick up tube goes or any secrets about setting a angine in with the mount. Also, have no idea how itis suppose to plane or what adjustments will be needed so it is stable in the turns.

So I am at your mercy...I am excited about this build and really lookfoward to running it.

Thank you,

Shawn

Well i can say your off to a good start by talking to Gary. He has made some mods to the boat, and when done PER HIS PLANS they handle well. Might want to get with him about what prop, and strut depth to start with.

Outriggers seem to be the hardest to set up, you have to balance them out, get the sponsons to ride perfect on the water, strut height, and theres props that will make it go fast, and theres props that will make it run the oval at full throttle.

I found riggers to NOT turn well at slow speeds, you need to be at a good speed for it to turn well. or its a wide turn. So just keep that in mind and good luck.

Tom

Most guys will tell you to replace the wood. I built my 3.5 with the wood in the kit and had no problems with it. If you are just planning on having fun with it building it box stock will work fine. As far as hardware there is alot out there so find something you like and thats in your price range and go with it.

I will keep in contact with Gary. Any qustions he will answer and I will use his recomendations. There should be no problem using the wood that came with the kit. I would like to go with a OPS .45, but might consider a good used .45 to keep costs down.

Hi Shawn

I know Ron Zaker ran a hawk and he is great on set ups on riggers.

Try giving Ron a call 1-630-953-0048

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. I wil give Ron Z. a call. In the mean time while I await my Hawk kit, there are a few construction articles on web on the Dumas Hawk. I have been reading them and getting some tips there too.

Shawn,

My first boat was a Hawk 7.5 and I don't think it is a bad first boat at all. It builds fairly easy, and can be a fairly competitive boat if built right. I can give you a few pointers on it, though..........

First, build in an extra bulkhead, about 2" forward of the transom. This will isolate the radio box from the stress the transom exerts on the hull. Make another deck lid to cover this new "bait box" compartment. Install your steering linkage pushrod seal to this bulkhead, not the transom.

Build the transom flat. Don't build it with the hull sides sticking out past the transom. With the transom flat all the way across, you are free to use what ever transom hardware you want.

I don't know what your kit says to use, but mine suggested MarineSpecialties hardware. If your's says the same, ignore it. MS hardware is crap. You're much better off with SpeedMaster or CMD hardware.

Tilt the engine back about 10-15 degrees, don't mount it flat like the kit provides.

Don't do the shaft tube the way the kit instructions say to. Install a stuffing tube in the hull intead of glueing the shaft tube directly into the hull. Glue a 9/32" OD brass tube (stuffing tube) into the hull. A 1/4" OD tube (shaft tube) will then slip into stuffing tube. This way, if you ever damage your shaft tube, it can easily be replaced. Also, run your shaft tube all the way through you strut.

This is all I can think of for now. You can E-Mail me directly for more info if you'd like.

[email protected]

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Shawn,

Here's a few more tips.

The front sponsons are built starting with a 3/8" thick (I think, it's been a while) piece of balsa as the top. Laminate a piece of 1/32 birch ply to both sides of this before you get started with building the sponsons. When you glue the boom tube blocks into the front sponsons, they will hold to the ply much better than the balsa. Also, lay a couple layers of 3/4 oz glass over these boom blocks before continuing with the building process. This will make much more sense to you if you don't do it, the first time you hit something solid and you have to rebuild the sponsons from the inside out.

Also, make sure you have the solid carbon fibre boom rods (not the hollow rods) and the solid CF turn fin strut..

Hope all this helps. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Shawn

Follow DJTs idea..

The boat is fine as is.. The wood and plans are great the way they are. The MS harware is fine.. To tell you the truth the ears on the back are not so bad eather. The solid rods and CF spar are a must however...im sure Gary has already got you coverd on that.

Have fun and keep us posted. ;)

Grim

Hello,

My Hawk arrived yesterday, UPS. I have to read the instructions several times before I begin building. I am going to build it pretty much the way the indtructions tells me. I am going with Gary's updates and hardware recomendatios as well.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks to all who posted replies. I feel the Hawks wood and directions and hardware recomendations is pretty good. Gary knows what he is doing...these are his boats and he builds them and races them.

I gald I was able to contact him and have him as a source of help. It is encurageing to me.

Shawn

Back