Question for the paint guru's.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Duggan

Hey Guys,

Had my first attempt at clear coating a "natural" rigger tub last night, The lighting wasn't so good and I'm still learning the HVLP gun. Anyway - I was a bit too heavy handed with the paint and got some major paint runs..... looks average :(

Whats the best way to fix it? Sand it back and re seal then respray? Or other?

Tim the paint newbie.

Depending on how bad the runs are you could wet sand them out with some 600 wet paper and then use some rubbing compound on it. If you decide to wet sand it use some dish soap in the water it seams to sand better with less clogging of the paper.

Thank you Terry,

I will give it a try. It has to be easier and faster than starting all over again.

Tim.

Terry Flynn said:
Depending on how bad the runs are you could wet sand them out with some 600 wet paper and then use some rubbing compound on it. If you decide to wet sand it use some dish soap in the water it seams to sand better with less clogging of the paper.
94309[/snapback]

Terry's right about the wet sanding, & the soap trick works. One thing to add is be patient. If you get too heavy handed on the runs you'll cut thru the area around the run before you knock down the run itself. :eek:

Tim scrape the run with a razor blade just like you do with the epoxy.get it down that way then do what Terry says.if you go thru just give it another lite coat.

Nikos

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guru's! I just knew I'd get some good answers from you. :) :D

Dave,

I couldn't get the PPG unfortunately :( I had every intention of using it after Don and others reccomended it. It's out there but I just couldn't get it in time. I used some stuff that other Aussies have used successfully.It's the same brand of paint I've been using with colour and it has been holding up very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spray and sand spray and sand. Thats what I did with my Mongoose. Then I wet sanded with 1500 and soap car wash soap like I was going to was my car with 1500 grit and then rubbing compound for a shine, In good light the rubbing compound left scrachs But the polishing is on hold for now. No try the 600 - 400 wet dry and still mite need more clear in the area then you will battle with the over spray.

In my world I would layer the clear with good sanding in between coats-exterior sealing is a must! you know all the turtles and logs in the water that are not seen or how about the dog in the back of a car with the boats.

BLA

BLAA

BLAAA

On the gun with clear I found with a 1.0 tip (it says on the needle) turn the regulater up to 35 -40 psi and lower in the secondary air valve from there My paint gun has an air flow valve new the regulater (two air controls).

Wet block sand (not by hand) and it will whop off the high spots. Then sand to about 600 grit and spray a thin coat and you should be as good as new.

I used a 1.4 tip and had the reg set to 35. I suspect the big problem was I sprayed it outside at night using a halogen spot light. Lesson learned!

Thanks again everyone - the wealth of information in you guys is invaluable!

Tim

you can use slightly lower pressure depending on how much you thin the paint. Key point is if it looks like glass straight off the gun without time to settle it will either run or sag. Should be just the slightest hint of orange peel when first sprayed which will quickly settle out to smooth as a baby's bum. Only other pointers I can think of at the moment is be very cautious about tilting the gun relative to the surface as there is a fair bit of paint coming out, or being too close to the surface. Both guarranteed to give you problems.

Tim...here's what we do with cars we restore...if it's a really thick run, machine sand it down to the point that you can just feel it above the surface use like 600 wet....switch to 600 again but this time on a block and by hand slowly sand off the rest checking your progress [use lots of water it keeps the paper clean/lubricated] until it is level with the rest...now the run is fixed but you still have all the scratches...

So out comes the 800 wet...hand block the conplete hull or the side that is bad till it looks level....go easy and slow...clean everything off with water and let it dry...no comes the fun part..lightly spray the sanded part with shacker can paint [different color than the hull], just dust it....this is called a guide coat...switch to 1000 wet and lightly sand the hull again...the highs will have no paint, the lows will have paint...continue to sand until the lows are gone [or close depending on how bad they are]

Now you can switch to 1500 wet or get out the buffer with some cutting compound and start polishing....once shiny switch to buffing compound and them polish....

The hull will be perfectly straight and as shinny as glass!!! Yes it's a lot of work just like on the cars...paint is rarely perfect until this is done!!!

Two things that are important when spraying clear....it's hard to see how much you are spraying on...so watch for the gloss on the paint to come up and stop and then do another coat

-if you can spray the surfaces flat ei: bottom+dry sides+dry top+last you will have better control...besides your going to wet sand anyways :)

Tim_Duggan said:
Hey Guys,Anyway - I was a bit too heavy handed with the paint and got some major paint runs..... looks average :(

Tim the paint newbie.

94306[/snapback]

Another choice is to leave it as is and say that Sir Donald Bradman or Adam Gilchrist painted it, cause those guys always get plenty of runs.

:p :p :p :p

Grub

6cuda6 said:
Tim...here's what we do with cars we restore...if it's a really thick run, machine sand it down to the point that you can just feel it above the surface use like 600 wet....switch to 600 again but this time on a block and by hand slowly sand off the rest checking your progress [use lots of water it keeps the paper clean/lubricated] until it is level with the rest...now the run is fixed but you still have all the scratches...
So out comes the 800 wet...hand block the conplete hull or the side that is bad till it looks level....go easy and slow...clean everything off with water and let it dry...no comes the fun part..lightly spray the sanded part with shacker can paint [different color than the hull], just dust it....this is called a guide coat...switch to 1000 wet and lightly sand the hull again...the highs will have no paint, the lows will have paint...continue to sand until the lows are gone [or close depending on how bad they are]

Now you can switch to 1500 wet or get out the buffer with some cutting compound and start polishing....once shiny switch to buffing compound and them polish....

The hull will be perfectly straight and as shinny as glass!!! Yes it's a lot of work just like on the cars...paint is rarely perfect until this is done!!!

Two things that are important when spraying clear....it's hard to see how much you are spraying on...so watch for the gloss on the paint to come up and stop and then do another coat

-if you can spray the surfaces flat ei: bottom+dry sides+dry top+last you will have better control...besides your going to wet sand anyways  :)

94544[/snapback]

That reminds me:

I bought a bad ass Camaro and drove it for a year w/no insurance. On a Friday afternoon one day out of the blue I took it to my insurance agent and had it inspected and set up for "Full Coverage" auto insurance. I picked my wife up and we went dancing. I had parked the car near a building that was being renavated. The workers dropped a huge replacement window from 4 stories up and it landing on my car. There was frickin' glass for miles. The great part was I was so **** happy because I just had an estimate done to get it painted...LOL...I called my insurance company and they paid it flat out. The buildings insurance probably reimbursed them but it was cool.

I took my car to a place called "Touch of Class" and the did like you said, went through all the right steps to sand the car perfect. This was 12 years ago and the paint job was $5,500 and took 2 1/2 months to complete. I guess sanding glass out of paint is a mother.... :lol:

Back