45 VAC teardown.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Got 27 runs on her, probably a coupla gallons, lookin' good! :)

DSCN0586.JPG

DSCN0588.JPG

You can see where the backplate was rubbing on the case, I used a thin layer of RTV to stop it.

DSCN0590.JPG

DSCN0592.JPG

DSCN0595.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

DSCN0606.JPG

Changed the needles as a precaution but these aren't bad after breakin.

DSCN0612.JPG

Very happy with it so far, much stronger than my purple heads, looking froward to pushing them a bit! :rolleyes:

Specs here if interested: https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10068/2012_CMB_VAC_45.xls :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, what you hiding in the drum intake. :ph34r: My drum has only one crankpin hole drilled clean thru, a mod buy you???? Very clean for 2 gallons.PS. stop biting your finger nails. :D

Got 27 runs on her, probably a coupla gallons, lookin' good! :)

DSCN0586.JPG

DSCN0588.JPG

You can see where the backplate was rubbing on the case, I used a thin layer of RTV to stop it.

DSCN0590.JPG

DSCN0592.JPG

DSCN0595.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

DSCN0606.JPG

Changed the needles as a precaution but these aren't bad after breakin.

DSCN0612.JPG

Very happy with it so far, much stronger than my purple heads, looking froward to pushing them a bit! :rolleyes:

Specs here if interested: http://gallery.intlw..._CMB_VAC_45.xls :)
Terry, a gasket maker/sealer called Hylomar works very good for a form-in-place gasket. It is used primarily in metal to metal situations. Mercury Marine. Porsche, General Motors are some of companies that use it. It is quite a bit better than silicone for this purpose.

You can get it at any good auto parts store.

Charles

Terry, a gasket maker/sealer called Hylomar works very good for a form-in-place gasket. It is used primarily in metal to metal situations. Mercury Marine. Porsche, General Motors are some of companies that use it. It is quite a bit better than silicone for this purpose.

You can get it at any good auto parts store.

Charles
There's actually an o-ring to seal the case but with the vibs and metal to metal contact you get the rub marks and black streaks outta the joint.

Put some simple black Permatex on it and the rubbing stopped.

I have a Die Grinder that you can borrow...Just turn it on and drop it in the motor a couple of times,maybe three :) Motor looks REAL good.

Newbie? the head button and piston dome looked norm to you guys?

cause I thought it looked sadblasted.JB.

The piston looks normal. The head button has a little detonation going on, but nothing to worry about. That little bit of deto could have came from one run that was a little on the leaner side. Knowing Terry, Im sure the motor stays on the rich side of the needle 99% of them time.

Thought I'd update this old thread with a quick teardown report 2 years later.

I've got 93 runs on the motor, about the equivalent of 7+ gal. of fuel.

All looks good, started to get some increased end play in the front bearing so I changed them both. Also had 66 runs on the rod needles and found they had worn about 0.0001" (a tenth) and were dark so replaced them too. Interesting the crank pin hasn't worn at all that I can measure.

Piston fit is still good, there was some slight deto on the exhaust side, also on the head, cleaned them up easily with some 400 grit.

There was minor galling on the crank where it seals just before the front bearing, cleaned it off with 400 grit paper.

It's completely stock, head set at 0.012", 60% nitro with 12% oil (1/3rd castor).
default_smile.png

DSCN3088.JPG

DSCN3089.JPG

DSCN3094.JPG

DSCN3104.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Terry,

What prop and pipe do you run and is it a conventional rigger or jae style???

Thanks Kevin.

Hi Terry thanks for the info, are the irwin s pipes still available ??? If not what would be the next best pipe.

Thanks Kevin.

Back