Newbie question about ESC ....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabian Hill

Hi,

Total newbie in brushless stuff and just thought I'd get a small esc and motor to setup a small airboat first , but eventually would like to setup my 7.5cc size tunnel hull with outboard brushless.

Anyway my total Newbie question is this .... and please don't all laugh at once ....

On the TURNIGY TRUST 55A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller one end has three wires with bullet connectors which "I assume plug into the motor" the wires are marked "A" "B" "C"

the wires on the motor are yellow black red

anyone care to tell me what goes to what ?

Thanks heaps for reading my first post.

Cheers

Fabs

Always ask the questions as you will not learn! On the ESC there will be 5 wires, in general 3 on one end and 2 wires on the other end. (There is also a connection to the Rx, but that should be pretty clear.) The motor will use the 3 wires from the ESC, it does not matter (at first) what wire goes where on the motor wires. The other 2 wires go to the battery, and YES they need to be hooked up correctly! After you set the throttle range (that is done in different ways, the ESC will tell you how to set this) run the motor, if it spins the wrong way reverse ANY 2 of the motor wires (the motor has 3 wires remember) and this will change the motor rotation.

Paul

Ah ha, thank you very much Paul, awesome not scared any more lol ha ha

Is there a good " newbie to brushless " article anywhere that's fairly complete an concise ?

I don't suppose you would have any tips on setting up that tunnel hull ? for 7.5cc equivalent power in a brushless and what type of lower and where to get it all at a reasonable cost .... ?

Thanks again mate,

Fabs

Sure glad to help out. Have not done any 7.5 tunnels so I'm not going to be as much help on that one. I would look at 4S or 6S setups, cost can start to go up fast is you really want to go fast! I do have a 3.5 FE tunnel (Cobra) and used a 4S setup with a Leopard 4074 motor. It will rock along pretty good! The ESC for doing 200+ amps will start to hurt the bank account, but there are some options that are not bad. It looks like 200+ amps starts the price to climb rather quick. Any way you would look at a 3.5 sized FE tunnel, they are WAY more popular.

Here is some articles that are pretty good to help you with the FE stuff. (Some of it is a bit dated but still good stuff)

FE

Paul

Thanks again Paul,

Funny how you can trawl the net for a few weeks but someone still gives you a link to a page you've never come accross... lol

Some good basic stuff there that's very helpfull and also found astec forum now which looks good too, thanks mate.

Mainly trying to do 7.5cc size because I have the hull already and would allow me to run in not so smooth water as well.

Cheers

Fabs

some esc's have two servo plugs one for programming and one for the rx . Not that it applies here but if it does refer to the owners paperwork to see which one goes where. Welcome to FE.

See the discussion on 7.5 tunnels in the outboard section.

Lohring Miller

Thanks again Paul

Thanks Hugh

Thanks very much Lohring, going to ask a few questions on your " discussion on 7.5 tunnels " thread

Can anyone help me out with the basics on setting up a TURNIGY TRUST 55A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller

I've got it all plugged in and motor spins correct way but when I plug everything in I get beeps then the motor just revs on neutral throttle position I brake and it stops spinning is there a way to have it no spin at neutral position ?

thank you

Have you:

Set your center points to zero?

Set your travel forward and reverse to 100%

Read the instructions on how to arm the ESC?

I dont have this ESC but I would suspect all turnigy's are similar

Cheers

Kris

You may have to reverse the throttle setting on your transmitter to calibrate the esc.....

ok,

Set your center points to zero? do you mean the trim on the radio ? if so yes

Set your travel forward and reverse to 100% yep

Read the instructions on how to arm the ESC? yep well the manual is 3 half pages so not much info

You may have to reverse the throttle setting on your transmitter to calibrate the esc. yep did that too

Back