JAE 21GE video

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Bourlet

Here is a video of my P-Spec running in NAMBA District 8 open hydro class at the last poiints race. It has a UL-1 motor, Turnigy 120 Speed controller and 2 R/C car 5000mAhr batteries in series.

Here is a video of my P-Spec running in NAMBA District 8 open hydro class at the last poiints race. It has a UL-1 motor, Turnigy 120 Speed controller and 2 R/C car 5000mAhr batteries in series.

Eric looks really good. Where you running 2 - 2S or 2 - 4S batteries?

Our P -Spec rules only allow 4S total . And that is my P-Spec boat. The only reason I was running in open hydro is I can't get enough P-Spec boats to show up for the class to make. The eagletree shows that about halfway through the race I loose between 1-2volts due to the extra connectors required to series the RC buggy packs. I Hope to get real 4 cell packs before the next race. It would be nice to have the extra 2 volts when I have to race against Brian B.

Rod Geraghty sure has a hit on his hands with this design. I built it from his plans and it can be done in a weekend.

I am curious how do you know its the connectors causing the voltage drop?? how is the eagle tree measuring that? That is something I would like to know how to set my Eagle Tree to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video of my P-Spec running in NAMBA District 8 open hydro class at the last points race. It has a UL-1 motor, Turnigy 120 Speed controller and 2 R/C car 5000mAhr batteries in series.

I move the "Pack Voltage" probe from the 140 Amp current sensor before and after the connectors, log each time and you can see the difference. Another way is to pull a load of the same current through the connector on the bench and measure across with a good voltmeter.

Here is a video of my P-Spec running in NAMBA District 8 open hydro class at the last points race. It has a UL-1 motor, Turnigy 120 Speed controller and 2 R/C car 5000mAhr batteries in series.

thanks! I never thought of doing it that way! good info! what connectors are you using? or is just those stupid packs with both the 4mm female connectors mounted in the plastic?

i dont get it? how can connectors affect voltage? i understand they can affect amperage but voltage? i use 5.5's on mine and have there is no difference in speed at the begining speed vs: end speed.... just curious? here is a video of mine on 4s1p 30c

i dont get it? how can connectors affect voltage? i understand they can affect amperage but voltage? i use 5.5's on mine and have there is no difference in speed at the begining speed vs: end speed.... just curious? here is a video of mine on 4s1p 30c

Any resistance when you run current through results in a proportionate voltage drop. E(Voltage)=I(Amps)/R(Resistance. You do not see any change because the 5.5mm Connectors have very little resistance. The connectors with less mated surface area have a higher resistance resulting in a higher voltage drop (this is easy to see on mine even without measuring the actual voltage because you can feel heat in the connector after running)

Actually, the real secret to Eric's boat running as well as it does is the great launch it gets to start the heat. ;) Check out the first few seconds of the video. Without that super launch, it's all over.

See, Eric says to me, "JD, will you help with the launch?" And, I replied, "Sure, I'd love to help with lunch. Are you cooking hot dogs again?" :lol:

JD

So....if I were to use 4 mm (OSE) bullets on the UL-1 ESC motor leads, would that be ok? I don't want to use the 5.5 mm bullets if I don't need to...I will be using them on the Lipo/ ESC wires...

-Kent

yes kent, that will be good. i use the stock 4mm connectors on the motor to lead extentions, then 5.5's on the motor and battery side of the esc itself. the extentions are made of 12 guage deans wire. i have no problem with heat in any of the connections. the ul-1 motor spikes to about 100 amps and that set up can handle that kind of amperage no problem. i am no longer using the turnigy esc, it got wet and fried. i now use a older (without larger cap) stock ul-1 esc but the extentions are the same

I got to see the JAE in run in rough water today. I was running her hard in the chop and she cartwheeled twice only to land lid side up. I took a second to check my drawers and got back on the thottle. Gotta Love it!!! I was running the Turnigy 40C 5000's with the original CF boom tubes and surprisingly they held dispite the mishaps. Unfortunaly it was too rough to effectively test props but I was impressed how well the ski and prop stayed planted in the water dispite the conditions.

Ok...I think I got what you're saying Chuck...so, 5.5 bullet on ALL of the UL-1 ESC wires and then the motor to extension leads to the motor are just the stock bullet connectors (the ones that are already there)......Thanks for the help(and the pic too)!

Mike...good to see your running well! Mine should see primer this week... :D

-Kent

Latest posts

Back