looking for input on a sport hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.freeze

Hey all, I'm thinking of dabbling in nitro, I'm looking for suggestions on hydo hulls. I've been looking into the miss vegas but I'm open minded right now. I have a few buddies that run a mix match of nitros right now (miss vegas, circus circus, and a 3.5 outboard tunnel) I would like something to run with them and get some kinda racing going on. Right now It's not much fun running my gas boats with the smaller hydros, so I what better excuse to buy a new boat :D

I don't think this is an "RTR crowd."

Personally, I do run RTR, that is how I got back into the hobby...but I think most folks here at IW don't run them...

As to your comment about the circus circus, etc. I think folks would need to know a little more info to know what would be competetive. "Circus circus," I believe would be more of a paint scheme than a hull. As to the tunnel, that could be anything from a Dumas hot shot with a K&B engine, up to something A LOT more competetive.

If you did get a recommendation of a sport hydro here...it would probably be a PT, or WL...or some other hull I don't even know about yet. You would probably have close to $1k into it by the time you were done assembling it, if you got everything new.

Some else here might know of a place that is building RTR, or ARTR sport 20s that would be more competative than a MV. BTW, a stock MV...with a little tweaking on the hardware would be running about 35 MPH in its stock form...if that helps you any. With a .18 CVRM and/or some hull mods, it could be anywhere from 42-48sh MPH. On the other hand, a WL with the right engine...would probably be more like mid to uppper 50s for speed. I would imagine a PT would be about the same.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
im pretty new to the boat scene, i went with the MV for my first, now i have my WL on order!!!! seems like the right progression for me a new boater! BTW think i saw a few MV this weekend that might have been poppin the 50's but no radar on site.

Just a personal opinon.. maybe grim can chime in on this.

hobbico came out with the vegas for people to run stock.. run 25-35 mph and have fun.. if you are into that then i would do that.. if you want to run faster the money you spend on a vegas is not worth it in my opinon.

i would look at a sport 20 from someone else.. by the time you buy all the hop up this and that and upgrade motors to a 21 you might as well bought a boat that is designed around that.

chris

I have the missvegas(2 of them ) and it's a lot of fun ...I have a phil thomas sport 20 and it is considerably stronger and much better suited to stand the power and stress of the high performance 21's.

in my humble opinion the thin glass in the vegas would not handle the stress of high speeds and blow offs that would be associated with the faster 21's.But i stand to be corrrected.

Terry

I have the missvegas(2 of them ) and it's a lot of fun ...I have a phil thomas sport 20 and it is considerably stronger and much better suited to stand the power and stress of the high performance 21's.
in my humble opinion the thin glass in the vegas would not handle the stress of high speeds and blow offs that would be associated with the faster 21's.But i stand to be corrrected.

Terry
pm me i have a new vegas i would love to find a new home for . they are good boats in stock form and would offer the best performance to keep up with that tunnel hull you are talking about, but if you want one of them i have several new ts2 in the box.. later

Hey the squeaky wheel gets the oil lol. Thanks for the replies, I don't have any racing events in my neck of the woods up here in VT. so I'm strickly a sport boater that being said I was just looking for any kind of imput wether it be rtr or a better sport build. The circus circus is the dumas and I believe he's got a .45 in it, any way after reading many post on other sites I went with vegas for now. Now I just need to strip it down and take care of all the little issues.

Latest posts

Back