1/4 Scale Gas Outboard Tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
Jay Selby, who's actually been doing model tunnel boats longer than me, loves scale tunnel boats. Anyone who has seen one of Jay's tunnel boats knows Jay love for scale appearing boats.

Jay is working on a gas powered tunnel. He took the time to develop a set of rules for what he calls Grand Prix Quarter Scale Gas Outboard Tunnel/GPO: Grand Prix Outboard. I have Jay's Draft Copy of the rules/guidelines in MS Word. I've sent a copy to some IW members and would be willing to sent them to anyone else who might like to read them.

Jay is looking for comments/suggestions/whatevers. I don't agree with not allowing recovery pads or "stumble blocks" in the Hull Specifications.

All I need is your e-mail address.

JD

Jerry, after seeing the prototype of the lawless 1/4 gas outboard lower unit at the Tunnel champs (thanks Carl) I have put SERIOUS thought into building one of these beasts.... please send me the file.

~James

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl Van Houten asked the CMB club if we would allow him to demo the new 1/4 scale gas tunnels at next year's tunnel race. He expects to have it running by or before then. We agreed to that request. If there is sufficient interest and numbers to run the class, we can certainly add the class to next years race. We are expecting to drop the Enduro class due to the lack of entries, the time required to run it and to make room for considerably more entries we expect to see for the race as a whole. Later this year we can put out an note to determine if there is enough interest to add the class.

John

CMB President

Is this something I will be able to buy or is this just one guy building for himself?

got the email Jerry, thanks. I cant see anything wrong with the rules written the way they are. Im sure someone will have more input as to what could be changed. I think they are great.... and I can already see my boat in the makings...

with the scale portion, making the boat look like full size OPC with the numbers and logos, I cant remember, but do they have to be actual boats? or can they be fictitous? I prefer the latter, most of us have "Team Names" I think it would be cool to come up with our own designs and logos....

John, I vote to run these rules next year at te Tunnel champs....? what do ya think? :)

got the email Jerry, thanks. I cant see anything wrong with the rules written the way they are. Im sure someone will have more input as to what could be changed. I think they are great.... and I can already see my boat in the makings...

with the scale portion, making the boat look like full size OPC with the numbers and logos, I cant remember, but do they have to be actual boats? or can they be fictitous? I prefer the latter, most of us have "Team Names" I think it would be cool to come up with our own designs and logos....

John, I vote to run these rules next year at te Tunnel champs....? what do ya think? :)
James,

The boat can have any name you want. It's more like Sport 40 in that regard than 1/8 Scale Unlimited.

Personally, I'd like to see "stumble blocks" allowed. They do not detract from the scale appearence since they are under the hull.

JD

Jerry, thanks for the sheet.

Do like how the rules are written as is. I've never used stumble blocks, but have used the full inside spray rail. That boat would turn, full lock, at WOT, like it was on rails.

The full size Outboard Tunnels don't have the need for stumble blocks (Rod blocks) because the course they are running requires a full set down and a pinwheel type turn to get around the bouy. We are not running that type track here. In order to maintain control of these boats around the bouys, we should allow the stumble blocks as an option. If the designer wants to use them, let him. If he don't...well, he can leave them off.

-Carl,

Carl, If you have yours done by July, bring it to the D12 race here in Greensboro, and we can have a little match race/demo. Mine is all but ready to toss in and find out what it's going to be like, it's an Aeromarine/Quickdraw 25. There should be a pretty big group of 20 tunnels as well.

Mike B

If there is enough interest to run them, adding the class is the easy part. I see no problem with it. I would like to see those big tunnels honking at top speed around the Walterboro lake on the full course.

Jerry,

Send me a copy too. He has sent them to me via snail mail but I haven't gone to the PO box yet.

BigRagu

:D :D :D

:eek: Tied up to the dock: Two OSSI F1 Hulls from Germany and more for North America on the way! B)

Carl, If you have yours done by July, bring it to the D12 race here in Greensboro, and we can have a little match race/demo. Mine is all but ready to toss in and find out what it's going to be like, it's an Aeromarine/Quickdraw 25. There should be a pretty big group of 20 tunnels as well.

Mike B
Mike,

We hope to have ours ready by then but the prototype will go straight to the molding process.

-Carl,

How much are one of these bad boys going for fully rigged minus radio. Are these stock gas motors or mod motors.

In just a couple of days, there has been a tremendous amount of input from many interested model boaters regarding establishing some Rules/Guidelines for a 1/4 Scale Gas Outboard Tunnel Class.

To recap:

1. Jay Selby created a draft copy of his ideas/thoughts about establishing 1/4 Scale Gas OB Tunnel.

2. Jay sent a hand written copy to me and I transcribed it to a MS Word document.

3. I sent the document to numerous model boaters.

4. We began receiving "feedback/comments/suggestions" about the class.

Several of the suggestions will be incorporated in the draft copy:

1. Under Hull Specifications, the minimum width(beam) will be changed from 20" to 18".

2. Under Hull Specifications, "stumble blocks/front recover pads" will be allowed.

3. Under Engine Specifications, for NAMBA the engine rules for G1 Gas engines will govern the engine size/allowed modifications. IMPBA can probably pick one of their popular gas engine classes for determining engine specs.

It is important to note that what we are doing is basically "brain storming" ideas for a proposed class. There are no rules. There are procedures that must be followed to establish rules in both NAMBA and the IMPBA. However, it seems like a good idea to formulate some basic guidelines, especially in hull specifications, to allow designers/manufactures to develop boats that meet some basic dimensional parameters.

JD

Latest posts

Back