Cowling needed for 82 Atlas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who might have a fiberglass cowling and uprights that would fit the old Dumas 82 Altlas Van Lines. I had the kit in the closet and have decided to build it. Replacing most of the mahogany with birch-ply. Probably should have just started a new boat instead. :huh:

I can't help you with cowl. I have the same kit minus the frame work and bottom ply. I started the kit and messed it up. I trashed the frame work and still have the wood for the deck and cowl and other areas. You can have it if you want. You would just have to pay for shipping.

I can't help you with cowl. I have the same kit minus the frame work and bottom ply. I started the kit and messed it up. I trashed the frame work and still have the wood for the deck and cowl and other areas. You can have it if you want. You would just have to pay for shipping.
Thank you for the offer, but I am all set with the wood for the deck and bottom. Cheers!

I'm in the quest for a cowl for that boat too, I have one coming, but it will need to be modified. I will let you know how it work out.

[email protected]

Mock One Productions

723 S.W. Austin Pl.

Seattle, WA 98106

Don is a Atlas Van Lines Nut. He has built all of the blaster hulls. I am sure he has an in on getting you a cowl....

You might check with Logan Unlimiteds. He has cowlings for the 1982 and 1984 NEWTON designed boats, with the 1977 cowling mold under construction.

please correct me if I'm wrong , but the Dumas cowl will need to be narrow than a cowl for a newton plan hull. My cowling need to be 4 1/2 inch wide by about 29 inches long. I believe that most of the boats built from newtons plans are closer to 5 inch wide. As for the length on my boat i moved the radio box forward so the cockpit is no longer part of the hull wicth is why mine is that length. I have talked with John Borden about his cowlings and his narrow that what i need but I'm going to see about widen that one to make it work.

If you have the kit still just built the cowling as the plans state and use that as the plug to create a fiberglass one.

Take a look at my gallery. i did make a cowl off of the plans i had enlarged but it didn't turn out like i had hope, so i started to redesign some area's

I hope this help.

my gallery

Last edited by a moderator:
please correct me if I'm wrong , but the Dumas cowl will need to be narrow than a cowl for a newton plan hull. My cowling need to be 4 1/2 inch wide by about 29 inches long. I believe that most of the boats built from newtons plans are closer to 5 inch wide. As for the length on my boat i moved the radio box forward so the cockpit is no longer part of the hull wicth is why mine is that length. I have talked with John Borden about his cowlings and his narrow that what i need but I'm going to see about widen that one to make it work. If you have the kit still just built the cowling as the plans state and use that as the plug to create a fiberglass one.

Take a look at my gallery. i did make a cowl off of the plans i had enlarged but it didn't turn out like i had hope, so i started to redesign some area's

I hope this help.

my gallery
I think that is what I am going to end up doing. I was just looking for a shortcut. What you did with the radio box was what I had in mind for mine. Thanks for your help.

i would also make the bottom of the hull flat and not built it with the notched, I don't think that it is legal and it makes finding a rudder hard difficult. I also would consider installing a belly pan to help lower the motor little more. Here is some good reading RC U

RC zone

There is also a lot of good information on this board , i just didn't have it booked marked.

i would also make the bottom of the hull flat and not built it with the notched, I don't think that it is legal and it makes finding a rudder hard difficult. I also would consider installing a belly pan to help lower the motor little more. Here is some good reading RC U
RC zone

There is also a lot of good information on this board , i just didn't have it booked marked.
I actually had a beautiful custom rudder made by Joe Solinger to fit the transom. I will read about the belly pan. Thanks

The cowl from John Borden fits a lot better, then i figured, I have to build up around the cockpit on the hull side. I'll add some picture of it in a couple days.

Thanks I am looking forward to the pictures. Do you have contact information for him?

Back