HITEC Lynx users

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brian, we already discussed this radio at the race but for the sake of others who are interested I think it is a fantastic radio. To me the best part is buying the variation with the "Proton" receiver included. That is the only receiver that has the built in GPS/speed meter. That single feature has helped take so much guess work out of performance gains/losses of different props, pipes, etc... When I bought the radio 2 years ago it was the only radio with GPS/speed meter built into the receiver. (No add on telemetry sensors required like other brands.) Also 4 channels, almost infinite combinations of button, switch, and dial assigning for things like remote needle adjustment or whatever. And all of the fine tuning features you can ever ask for. No signal issues. I think it's the best bang for your buck in mid/high end radios. And it does go on sale quite often at certain online hobby shops as well as the option to use discount coupons along with the sale price. The receivers themselves are also very reasonably priced too.

The receivers and transmitter are high voltage capable meaning you can use lipos to power them without voltage regulator. I like using the lipos in the boat for receiver batteries because they're smaller, weigh less, and can handle high current draw without sagging unlike nicad or nimh batteries.

I'll second the radio. I've have mine 2 plus yrs with zero issues. The gps is a awesome feature. It also gives you real time onboard voltage.

Rpm and temp does require additional sensors.

It outrange tested futaba at the same field.

Oh yeah I forgot about the ability to read real time receiver voltage. You can also set a warning if the voltage gets low on the receiver or transmitter battery. That way you don't really have to worry about keeping track of your remaining capacity constantly.

I will say I have the same radio. Never had a problem and now I have 3 receivers in 3 different boats. I find myself wanting another receiver so I don't have to swap receivers from boat to boat. My Futaba now is my back up radio. I wish the directions to bind the receiver was better in the manual. It's not hard to do but the directions are not very good. The rest of the radio is very easy to use. I also like the throttle setting at 70/30 % so you can set the idle when starting. 1 to 10 I give mine a 9. I love the GPS get the proton receiver

The temp and rpm is real time only. No memory.

The speeds shows realtime and highest and has a alarm so you don't have to keep looking to see if you have passed a certain point. But clears out once powered off.

The binding is harder then futaba. Futaba made it so simple. But once your used to hitec it's fine.

I can't imagine it would be hard for hitec to build on the telemetry memory aspect. It would be nice but still love it the way it is.

One thing they should do IMO..... make a rpm interface that can hook right to gas boat coil. Something that would hold up and be simple. I have used the magnetic option they offer. It is too fragile for long term use on a boat. But it will work. But a interface from coil to reciever would be AWESOME.

The temp and rpm is real time only. No memory.

The speeds shows realtime and highest and has a alarm so you don't have to keep looking to see if you have passed a certain point. But clears out once powered off.

The binding is harder then futaba. Futaba made it so simple. But once your used to hitec it's fine.

I can't imagine it would be hard for hitec to build on the telemetry memory aspect. It would be nice but still love it the way it is.

One thing they should do IMO..... make a rpm interface that can hook right to gas boat coil. Something that would hold up and be simple. I have used the magnetic option they offer. It is too fragile for long term use on a boat. But it will work. But a interface from coil to reciever would be AWESOME.
Ya I have stumbled thru the binding twice and I'm still not sure how I did it.

Binding is easy after you do it an understand how you did it. If I remember correctly you hold button on receiver and turn it on. Be sure the transmitter is in the binding mold 1st. You should bind in a few seconds. Hope this helps because the directions don't tell you about the receiver button being held down when turning it on.

I have used telemetry for a long time back to my Nomadio radios. The real time GPS is my most informative feature. Mid course and turn speed help prop selection far more than top speed. The GPS receivers aren't cheap but there are cheaper ones without. When you power up your TX see what version of firmware you have. Version 1.05 is the latest. (Mine had 1.01) I spent quite a while on the phone with tech to find out I needed an update to bind a Proton 4E RX. You will need an HPP22 interface http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=%3Cb%3Ehpp%3C%2Fb%3E22.

Mic

Wes

Google your radio for binding and it will tell you how to do it.

Had to google my Futaba radio for the third channel because the book didn't say any thing on how to do it.

Dave

Mic, Bob Horowitz here. I don't know if you remember , but you helped in the past with my Lynx radio. I have another question. I run electric boats and if I have more than one boat powered up, regardless of which boat is called up from the memory all the boats will respond to the Tx. I had one boat disabled on the pond, so I called up another boat to use as a rescue boat and the boat that I was rescuing responded to the Tx as well as the boat that I was using as the rescue boat. I had two boats out on the pond that were active even though only one was called up from memory. Is there a way that you have to cancel out the previously called up boat?

Regards,

Bob

Tech support # is 858-748-6948. Easy to get through to a tech. The manual is crap and even Hitec referred me to some You Tube video's. PM sent Bob.

Mic

Thanks Mic. I'll give them a try. As I said in the PM, the last time I tried, the person who knows the most about the Lynx radio was away.

Regards,

Bob

Wow guys this is one great radio as all these posts have stated. Danny failed to mention the range test that he did showing the awesome range that this radio has over some other radio's. Yes the binding instruction's don't seem to be quite rite, however once you have done it a few times it's just fine. Remember that with most product's the instruction manual really does have most of the answers to your questions so take some time and read them. My manual goes to the lake and every race for a refresher if I need it. My fellow racer Charlie just bought one and I'm sure he will be happy. Also use e-bay for your search to purchase RX's because there are some deals out there. If you don't want or need all the telementry you can purhase a 4 channel RX for around $40. When you get familiar with the radio set it up with the vibration feature for a set speed or put in a ear plug and listen to your favorite music while you smoke that racer that new you could beat, yes this radio has those features read the book, hook it up to your computer and make it so!!

Brian I met you at Huntsville and hope to race with you again!!! Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Hitech Lynx for a long time. I had the synthesized transmitter and I used the Novak synthesized receivers and I never had really good luck with them.

Back