Waterproof servo connection question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley Maglinger

I used an exposed water proof servo which worked great last season. The radiobox was up front and the servo in the rear so I ran extended cables to it. I know people use silicone at the connectors if exposed to keep water out, and I had no issues. Is there a better way to do it? Thanks in advance, I don't want to leave any stone unturned.

I also run exposed servos. I bother with silicon at the connectors as that wont gaurantee anything. Use circuit wash and then shoot your connections with a waterproof spray designed for electrical circuits. I'll get the name of mine when I get home. My connections look shiny new after multiple runs. You could always hit them with rostoff after every run too.

Solder and extend wires,then heat shrink connections,plug will be in dry radio box,no issues can happen!
And while this is very doable, what many don't know is that THE TYPE OF SOLDER USED DOES MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you go this route, only use solder made for electrical work as others will increase in resistance over time. Something else you SHOULD DO is to stagger the solder joints. This does two things:

1) makes shorting between joints practically impossible

2) keeps the wire trio's thickness to a minimum. You can use one piece of shrink sleeve this way rather than using several as would be needed if the joints are all in the same location

Thanks everyone for the input
default_smile.png

There is a rubber paint product for coating tool handles. It may work well over standard servo connections maybe???

Back