Rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gary Murcott

Can someone please explain why a nitro canard runs with the rigger class but a gas canard can not run with the riggers but has to run with the gas sport hydro this is how I read the IMPBA rules. I thought it was the hull that determined the class

Thanks

Gary

Can someone please explain why a nitro canard runs with the rigger class but a gas canard can not run with the riggers but has to run with the gas sport hydro this is how I read the IMPBA rules. I thought it was the hull that determined the class

Thanks

Gary
I was wondering the same thing all year last year.

Nitro classes are a hydro class (B Hydro, D Hydro). Gas classes are seperated with lsg sport hydro/ lsg rigger. I have been to some races that run "open hydro" where sport hydros and riggers run against each other.

If its a rigger with a nitro engine it should be a rigger with a gas engine I have run it in open I would like to run LSG 27 as well

Attach your canard sponsons with booms. Problem solved! Or....more drama created!
default_smile.png

Gary it's not a rigger with nitro boats it's a HYDRO under the technical standards in the rule book. IMPBA has the sport hydro as a special large scale class. It allows canards to be run in that class...

Maybe Juice can shed some light on this. I'm no expert just the way I read it is that it could race with the riggers but race organizers call the class lsg rigger and not lsg hydro.

LOL one day on the job...................................batter up.......................

Gary, it's just the way they chose to write the gas rules when gas boats became popular to race. The nitro rules date way back and they chose to make changes when starting fresh with gas.

Another example, there is no cat class in nitro, they run as a hydro with the riggers.

Dang!!!

Mayhem has broken loose and the new Hydro tech director isn't even settled in the chair yet?? I call it a legal hydro per my interpretation of the rule book.. Unless there is some rule for decreased floatation area?? Honestly I have had to beat up many a rigger with my .40 and .60 Canards back in the day so don't try to tell me they can't compete with the riggers whether it's gas or nitro!! Been there done that! I find this whole subject quite amusing!!

Later!!

Pat

As stated above it is a hydro, but not a rigger. So if the class is called " LSG Rigger" it doesn't fit in the class. Now if the class is called " LSG hydro or sport hydro" then it fits! Ecept in nitro sport hydro which specific type rules to not allow canards.

You can thank the gassers for wanting everything separated, it started out as gas hydro and gas mono. I remember all the hoopla well, gas cats didn't want to run against the riggers and neither did the sport hydros (the sport hydros weren't as fast then as they are now). When they started the dividing everything seemed nobody coming up with all this thought about the canards (probably because the canard numbers were low). The rigger guys didn't want them and neither did the cat guys so they wound up in the sport hydro class which was still in what I would call a fledgling stage (nowhere near as popular as it is now in the gas ranks). So this is what you have, created by and voted in by the gas crowd. Welcome to the wonderful world of gas racing.......................

And for whatever it's worth I'm with Gary as I always felt a canard was just a rigger built backwards.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everybody that posted it dose not matter to me so long as I get my boat wet

You can thank the gassers for wanting everything separated, it started out as gas hydro and gas mono. I remember all the hoopla well, gas cats didn't want to run against the riggers and neither did the sport hydros (the sport hydros weren't as fast then as they are now). When they started the dividing everything seemed nobody coming up with all this thought about the canards (probably because the canard numbers were low). The rigger guys didn't want them and neither did the cat guys so they wound up in the sport hydro class which was still in what I would call a fledgling stage (nowhere near as popular as it is now in the gas ranks). So this is what you have, created by and voted in by the gas crowd. Welcome to the wonderful world of gas racing.......................

And for whatever it's worth I'm with Gary as I always felt a canard was just a rigger built backwards.
default_wink.png
And that brings up my point. If a guy shows up at a gas race with a canard with booms that he entered in the Sport hydro class or he entered in the Rigger class, what happens?....besides Drama in the pits?

Maybe he will just be sent home and will later contact his District director with a motion to start a new class for Rigger canard.

default_wink.png
And that brings up my point. If a guy shows up at a gas race with a canard with booms that he entered in the Sport hydro class or he entered in the Rigger class, what happens?....besides Drama in the pits?

Maybe he will just be sent home and will later contact his District director with a motion to start a new class for Rigger canard.
Good Q Andy and in my opinion it becomes a rigger.

Names of hull configurations that have run has a hydroplane in the big boy classes

1) Spoonbow. (also known as "shovelnose." Though I prefer the former since a shovel can have a lot of different shapes.)

2) Conventional, referring to a front-engine configuration

3) Cabover, referring to a rear-engine configuration

4) Picklefork, referring to a spoonbow that's been cut.

5) 3-point, referring to most hydroplanes since the Slo-mo era

6) 4-point, referring to the old Circus and Elam.

Now, here's where things get a little dicey.

7) Cabover, picklefork, solid deck. Example: 1979 Budweiser. Is there a name for this?

8) Cabover, picklefork, and a pair of small wings breaking up the solid deck. Pioneered by the 1982 Atlas

9) Cabover, picklefork, pair of small wings with driver controlled flaps (canards). Common style through the mid-80s and 90s.

10) Cabover, picklefork, one massive canard running between the sponsons in front of the cockpit. May have a spar. Common modern style.

11) Tri-wing. I know at least one Circus hull (the weird looking one Chip drove but never qualified afaik) ran in this configuration.

12) Not tri-wing... But what does that make Jim Harvey's T-Plus? The Circus had three wings, but the T-Plus only had two, with the edge of the first wing near the back. Also, the Budweiser T4, which had that strange pair of wings in the middle of nowhere attached to the sponsons in front.

13) Bud T4, T-Plus & Coor's Dry were all "Double Wings" when originally built. (T4 was a reverse delta style)

14) Circus Circus (1990 built), Fendler's boat, and Aussie Endeavor were all Jones designed "Triple Wings or Tri wings" when originally built.

Displacement Hull (early gold cuppers)

Shingled/Step Hull (Miss America, Miss Pepsi, etc)

Believe 3 points started with Ventnor's back in the 30's.

Outrigger style - late 60's pay-n-pak

Canard Style - Circus (late 70's/80's) & Elam

Lobster Boat (Winston Eagle)

Tunnell Hull (Texmo, Arcadian, Tempus (last one), a few others)

In my eyes, boats with today's single canard wing, or 80's/90's dual canards, and standard 3 point cabovers (70's-80's) are same basic design with improvements in aero over the years. The spar was hidden in the dual canard wing set up, which allowed for a deeper picklefork design, to dump air.

The Winston Eagle "Lobster Boat", had both air traps & a tunnel, they ended shortly after the sponsons. It also, had front canard wings covering the spar. Unlike a current configuration - it didn't have a tunnel all the way to the transom, and what transom it has, was VERY narrow.

Found this info very informative.

Ken

default_wink.png

Good Q Andy and in my opinion it becomes a rigger.
I agree Don. Years ago Pinckert and I both built 'riggers' that had full lengths sponsons like a cat or tunnel. I think you would agree this would be a "rigger" also.

It's good to get these thoughts out in the open and a line of thinking established because there could be a day when someone shows up at a race with something "strange looking", and worse, beats everyone with it.... ie, my TOTALLY LEGAL, Mongoose appearing, Sport 45 hydro that was disqualified at the 1990 IMPBA Internats, AFTER it had set a new SAW record at the event.

Back