Switching my 43" Mono from Gas to Electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Pun

I have a 43" Mono (HK1) which was originally built for Zenoah 26cc.

A friend of mine was kind enough to help changing this into a fast electric boat, it is now fixed with a 5694 1200Kv Motor, a 180amp ESC, using 6S 5300Mah 30C battery, today we tested run the boat and recorded a maximum speed of 67.8Kph.

Tomorrow we will try out a bigger propeller 457 and hope to see a better result.

GP

are you just using the one battery or do you have two in series ? I would run 2 packs in series to boost your mah rating to have more power to push the boat threw the water.

Are you using full 3/16 shaft or a 1/4 stepdown one.

Hi Thomas,

I use 2 packs wired in parallel of 6S 5300Mah 30C, also using 1/4 stepdown shaft.

It was raining have to wait for this weekend to test the boat again.

Any pictures of setup? Boris

Boris,

No picture as yet, may try to take some on the next trip out.

Gilbert

What class will this setup fall under a Q or an S racing boat.

voltage puts it in Q 22.2v (6S) yet length is a little over the max of 40"

S is a max of 29.6v (8S) with a max length of 50"

I too have a 43.5in hull I would consider converting yet am unsure where I would be able to run it with only a 6S setup yet a little long per IMPBA rules

Section J pg 2

Or am I miss reading the chart.

I have run 455 and 457 propellers on the same boat, but producing the same max speed of 67.8Kph, What propeller should I use or to increase to a 459 CNC prop?

What class will this setup fall under a Q or an S racing boat.

voltage puts it in Q 22.2v (6S) yet length is a little over the max of 40"

S is a max of 29.6v (8S) with a max length of 50"

I too have a 43.5in hull I would consider converting yet am unsure where I would be able to run it with only a 6S setup yet a little long per IMPBA rules

Section J pg 2

Or am I miss reading the chart.
The length would not allow it as a Q (over 40 inches) The voltage chart for "S" class is 22.8-29.6v. (+ or - 17%). Now on 6S your actual voltage could be in that range. After a two lap your 6cell may have 3.9v per cell = 23.4v. Maybe someone can expand on this. Could a 6S boat set a "S" record technically in a 7-8cell class? Judges?

Mic

There are no reference to cell counts on the IMPBA Class Voltage Limits Chart (Section J). Also voltages should be taken on fully charged packs to indicate class confrormance as per the rule book.

Gilbert, be careful proping up. Most use 6S in a hull in the mid to upper 30 inch range. In a boat your size,amp draw will go through the roof if you push your set up too hard. I don't think a 180 amp controller will be up to the task. Keep your run times short at first and take temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for all your inputs, the hull is actually a 45" long mono boat, we used to run a 26 Zenoah Gas engine on it.

On the first few trials, I had put a SEAKING 180AR ESC with 6S pulling a CNC 459 prop, and the ESC had burnt to the ground, what I did was to run it for about 5 laps and it jumped off the water for a second then I continued to run it for 4-5 laps.

So I raised the shaft for 3mm horizontally and changed the prop to 455 and 457, and they produced the same speed.

I still don't know what I had done wrong.

I'm afraid your ESC is just not up to the task of pushing a boat that big on 6S. At least not for the speeds you want out of it. Most boats over 40 inches inches run on 8S or 10S. Why? Because you need allot of power to push a boat that big. Watts is power. Amps x Volts = Watts. The lower the voltage your run, the more amps needed to get the job done. Electric motors and ESC's are like race horses. If you run them too hard, they are going to give you everything they have untill they die.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just just got a 300 amp ESC, it is much bigger than the 180amps, will try to change it and run on larger props on the next outing.

Very unfortunate, I got the 300 amp ESC burnt before heading for the water!

Will try another configuration using 8S with a different ESC.

I really don't know why, as soon as I plugged in the 12S battery on dry land test, flames came out on the motor wires end of the ESC, the flame is about half an inch long. It was lucky that I managed to unplug the battery wire and nothing caught on fire on the bench.

Hopefully the manufacturer can get me another brand new ESC with proper wiring in place for the next trial, (I am paying of course) it in in transit now, looking forward to the next test.

was the esc rated for 12S ?

Rocket flames out of the esc is never a good sign, hope you get it all taken care of without any problems.

I would think the most you can use for 1200kv would be 8s. 10s maybe if you prop down but that'd be pushing it. Get an esc with data logging or buy an eagle tree data logger. Then you know your setups actual current draw and can fine tune your equipment

I would think the most you can use for 1200kv would be 8s. 10s maybe if you prop down but that'd be pushing it. Get an esc with data logging or buy an eagle tree data logger. Then you know your setups actual current draw and can fine tune your equipment
Travis,

Where can I find the eagle tree data logger?

Gilbert

Back