Older motor temp range

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Daly

I am trying to come up to speed on what operating temps I should be running on my older OPS,Picco and K&B motors this comming season,

I hope this question is not to general.

I have 1990's motors that I plan to dust off and run on 40% as I get back into the sport, I am located in District 1 [NYS} and will be running some new JAE boats.

Thanks - Mike

Mike, just be sure you run them warm enough...generally I just use the finger technique. If I can hold my fingers on the head for a couple of seconds after a full run, then it is about right. If I feel like it is going to burn before two or three seconds then it is too hot, if I can hold my fingers on it longer then it may be too cold.

GQ

Thanks Glenn -these are questions I never would have asked "back in the day"... with so much more information available to us today - hand held IR,data logging.

Great forum ! so much information to soak up

I was also told that a drop of water would bounce right off the head if too hot but would evaporate in 2-3 seconds at right temp. Is this method effective also?

if it stinks,it's too hot.if it sounds like eggs frying it's too hot.if you can grab it for 3 seconds and hold it it's too cold

good point of reference. your average car or light truck runs at 195* to 210*. go drive around for about 1/2 hr. then stop, pop the hood & touch the radiator. that is where you want your engines to be B) . being an auto tech, this is an easy one for me :p .

Back