Youngblood .21 mono setup help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyPierce

Alright guys, helping a buddy setup an older youngblood .21 mono. Currently no matter what prop we put on it, once it gets up to speed it starts hopping around violently, and really jumps and skips in the corners loading and unloading the prop.

Any setup help or even a starting point would be awesome for this thing. Neither of us have ANY mono experience, so a starting point would even be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!

If it is one of the ones where the tabs are inset into the bottom. Then u have to be sure they are smooth. They would get bent and wreak havoc on the boat. Also on a Youngblood only add tab on the outside edges.

tabs dont go into the bottom, they are just mounted on the transom. The starboard side trim tab has a bend on the furthest corner from center. There is also one turn fin on the starboard side.

Turn fin may not be large enough to hold the boat in the turn. If you have some pictures of the hardware that could also help with suggestions.

John, you think the water is climbing the over the sides in the turn? Or are you referring to an actual cup in the bottom surface of the boat? Ill have to lay a straight edge on the hull and see if that is the case or not.

It may be, as the thing jumps all over the place down the straight when you start to get a little bit of speed under it. Literally jumping out of the water.

Check the bottom for hooks and rockers. Both lengthwise and across the hull. Hooks and rockers can happen during storage if the hull has weight on it or is subjected to heat.

The thread I referred to was about ill handling of the Youngblood hulls in turns. The chine on the Youngblood is rounded with a fairly low angle up towards the bow. When the hull rolls over the water climbs up the freeboareg and actually pulls the bow down and the stern up out of the water.

As for the staight line behavior, is the hull set up as surface drive or submerged? Is the bottom glossy or prepped? Do the strakes go all the way to the transom?

its surface drive. Bottom isnt prepped but wouldnt call it glossy either. And strakes do not go all the way to the transom. Ill try and get some pictures of it tomorrow at the pond. Ill check it out there a little too for hooks.

Sounds like it is a surface drive hull. I'd look for rocker. Any rocker will make it handle squirrely in the straight line and in the corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey John, here is a few pictures. I didnt get a chance to see if the bottom has any hooks, but brought the boat home with me to check out here when I get some time. Im going to also strip the spray can paint off the bottom of the hull as well and prep it.

IMAG0186_zps34a90a5d.jpg

IMAG0187_zps0a71695d.jpg

IMAG0189_zps81de0ab9.jpg

IMAG0190_zps74f68288.jpg

IMAG0191_zpsc10ab02e.jpg

IMAG0192_zps790f6da8.jpg

Alright, got the bottom stripped and its got a pretty good warp to it side to side. Front to back its pretty straight. Below are some pictures. Would this make the thing hop like mad at speed down the straights? And what should I use to true it up? Bondo?

IMAG0198_zps7f836abe.jpg

IMAG0197_zpsc2c6232e.jpg

IMAG0196_zpse6433f53.jpg

IMAG0195_zps2e6cb9b6.jpg

IMAG0194_zps7b35b84f.jpg

Well, decided to fill the hooks with bondo. Figure it cant hurt to make it flat. What do I do where the strakes are? That area is a bit low? Just blend this around the strake, or fill that area as well on each side of the strakes?

IMAG0199_zps320cd632.jpg

I'm sorry that I didn't reply sooner. The roughness in the paint at the keel was the first thing I noticed (looked like nitro ate up the paint, lol). Just prepping the hull should have helped a bunch. There was a definite rocker front to rear, but I don't recall how flat the old youngbloods were. Just block it all flat and see how it goes. I don't think that you will have hurt anything. Just blend the end of the strakes as best you can. But it still may be ill handling in the corner. That is a separate issue.

Again, the blistered paint on the keel at the transom was my biggest concern. That would definitely cause issues. I have another trick I'll tell you abount on the phone if you want to call, 931-962-5232 during the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, no problem! I figured it wouldnt hurt having the boat flat in the back. And the corner thing is a seperate issue all together, I agree. If I can get this thing flying good down the straights that will be one problem solved at least. I plan to glue a 1/8 inch basswood stick to the side of the hull to stop the water from sucking over it. Ill glue it right at the edge there.

And yes, it had just a spray can paint job on it. The paint was eaten by the nitro. I plan to strip the hull down to the gel coat.

Was that trim tab just recently bent? Making the bottom true flat May work on a 20 boat but it's not a good idea most of the time. That paint on the bottom was definitely hurting it too.

The trim tab was bent that way when he got the hull. I assume they did it for a reason. And having hooks like that from side to side can't be a good thing I wouldn't think??

There is no way that tab should be bent that way. That's extreme. It is very hard to keep a straight bottom boat on the water. But that is something we will see about. I would straighten that trim tab though.

Back