• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB squish band tool

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

top fuel 1

i am looking for a tool to measure squish band on the glow motors, i see speedmaster does not offer them anymore it looks like a dial indicator with screw in adapter for the glow engines, if anyone has any or knows were i can get one let me know.

thanks

brian

i am looking for a tool to measure squish band on the glow motors, i see speedmaster does not offer them anymore it looks like a dial indicator with screw in adapter for the glow engines, if anyone has any or knows were i can get one let me know.

thanks

brian
Just a suggestion..........a product called plastigage is what I use. To me, it is the cheapest, simplest and most accurate way of checking head clearance in our toy engines.

There are 3 types......the green, it measures clearances of .001 to .003 ( a little small for our use),,,,,,the red, it measures clearances of.002 to .006 ........and the blue, it measures clearances of .004 to .009 thickness. Simply cut off a piece (it looks like plastic string) the length of the bore width, lay it on the piston, fasten the head back down, rotate the crankshaft over 1 turn, remove the head and measure the width of the plastigage using the scale on the paper that it came in. Just that simple. No math. This method also shows the taper of the squish band.

The plastigage can be purchase at about any good parts store for about 2 bucks per 12 inch length.

Charles

being looked into at at the present time, no real time frame.

tim

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks

brian
Just a suggestion..........a product called plastigage is what I use. To me, it is the cheapest, simplest and most accurate way of checking head clearance in our toy engines.

There are 3 types......the green, it measures clearances of .001 to .003 ( a little small for our use),,,,,,the red, it measures clearances of.002 to .006 ........and the blue, it measures clearances of .004 to .009 thickness. Simply cut off a piece (it looks like plastic string) the length of the bore width, lay it on the piston, fasten the head back down, rotate the crankshaft over 1 turn, remove the head and measure the width of the plastigage using the scale on the paper that it came in. Just that simple. No math. This method also shows the taper of the squish band.

The plastigage can be purchase at about any good parts store for about 2 bucks per 12 inch length.

Charles
Yes I agree totally about the plastigage, and there's also yellow that goes from .009 to .020",anything beyond that and you will need calipers to measure.

I used to use Plastigauge when building small block chevy's.

We used it to check rod and crank bearing clearances. Very easy to use and can find it just about anywhere.

Tim

Latest posts

Back