Wild thing mono kit build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so true, terry. i feel priviledged to race with john here in d-12
default_cool.png
!! he (& many others) have taught me so much.

john, "glue in the water" - are you testing in that thick azz water in greensboro?
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Terry,

I data logged on a castle controller before I blew it up, then on my swordfish before I blew that one up. Have not used the Eagle Tree yet. These products worked well by the way. It was my ignorance that took them out. Pushing boundaries beyond specifications.

Robin........actually the lake behind my house has had a lot of boilogical growth. I stopped testing there this fall. I blew up a third controller because the water pickup got filled with algie. A lot of that green stuff grows in the water down here in the South. Our SAW pond sometimes gets that way too and looks like a bowl of pea soup. Right now both ponds are clear but a bit on the hard side.

John

Mike,

I pulled some data logging from past runs and expanded them so I could make a better evaluation. I noticed, only after expanding the chart to cover the 2.7 seconds that I was at full throttle, taking up the whole chart just for that time frame........I was turning an average of 34,150 rpm at 242 amps at 18.85 volts (6s)with a 2500 kv motor. That equates to 3.14 volts per cell while at full throttle. When I plugged in those figures the slippage came out to 25 percent for that run. I did another chart from another run and pulled the voltage down even further. Voltage = rpm. I guess I need to work on pumping those batteries up just before the run when running SAW. Still figuring it out one piece at a time. Heat racing motors with lower kv ratings are much more efficient.

John
A rigger with less hydro drag would be easier on the electrics than say a cat or a spt hydro?

Mike,

I pulled some data logging from past runs and expanded them so I could make a better evaluation. I noticed, only after expanding the chart to cover the 2.7 seconds that I was at full throttle, taking up the whole chart just for that time frame........I was turning an average of 34,150 rpm at 242 amps at 18.85 volts (6s)with a 2500 kv motor. That equates to 3.14 volts per cell while at full throttle. When I plugged in those figures the slippage came out to 25 percent for that run. I did another chart from another run and pulled the voltage down even further. Voltage = rpm. I guess I need to work on pumping those batteries up just before the run when running SAW. Still figuring it out one piece at a time. Heat racing motors with lower kv ratings are much more efficient.

John
A rigger with less hydro drag would be easier on the electrics than say a cat or a spt hydro?
Even a cat or sport hydro has less drag than a mono. I have done FE rigger, cat, sport hydro and scale and all were about the same set up wise, calculations, etc for me. The monos apparently require much more attention to detail if you really want to push the limits because of the far larger wetted surfaces and what it takes to break free of the surface meniscus (water tension).

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at a 4082 motor 2000kv and a 200 amp controler, would this be a good place to start?

mb
So i wonder if this package would be good for a spt 40? How do you decide the size of the motor body and length for the size of the boat?

Don or Mike could answer that better than me as I am new to the electric stage. Don??? Mike L????

You may want to post the question in the electric forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

My 32 inch, 21 Wild Thing (ML) is coming together. I can't find anyplace in the plans that mentions where the center of gravity should be. Can you advise?

Thanks,

Bob

John,

I would also like to know, I am building mine from plans rather than the ML kit. I see where the center of the flywheel is on the plans at 11" from the Transom. The instructions from the Boat Modeler say install the engine 12.5" from the transom (not sure where on the engine that would be referenced to). I lined my engine up on the flywheel pulley, but not sure where to balance once it is all together.

Thanks,
Curtis

Curtis,

The 12.5" dimension refers to the center (glow plug) on the engine.

I can't figure out how to fit an 8 oz tank in the side. Plenty of room in front of the engine, but John suggests the side to help keep the CG steady as the fuel drains. Makes a lot of sense, but I may have to make custom tank to get it to work with the ML kit.

Curtis,

The 12.5" dimension refers to the center (glow plug) on the engine.

I can't figure out how to fit an 8 oz tank in the side. Plenty of room in front of the engine, but John suggests the side to help keep the CG steady as the fuel drains. Makes a lot of sense, but I may have to make custom tank to get it to work with the ML kit.
Bob, Ryan's doing 3 tanks for me now. Make you anything you need.http://lipgensfabrication.com/

Looks good bob! Jullian is starting to assemble a 20 seaducer so along with curtis, b mono should be a big and fun class...

Eric,

What is Julian putting into the SD? It will be good to get this snow and ice off of the pond. Should be a great year with stocked classes.

C

Back