Who Makes This Hull???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The left or right sponson depending on a model or the real thing is only larger for turning. No other reason. The clear deflector you see on the inside edge of the outside sponson is there to kill the lift created by the hull turining. Thus the air flow from the side of the sponson. It does not create down force it just kills the lift. Again only effective when turning. Tomato-Tamato. Since the development of this larger sponson, the extra lift it creates in the straights, they have corrected some of this by tapering down the deck as it gets to the rear of the sponson and offseting the leading edges. The left side of the center section is longer than the right. As for the aluminum runners, They do work. But not really needed on the models. The sharper the edges in the water the better.

Yes the scale trying to remember their name. It was two guys that worked for Ron Jones back in the day and made the first vacuumed type boats made from prepreg type glass. I had one for years and never ran it.

thank you Gale54, Jone's crew thinking full scale but building eighth scale explains how the bottom of this boat came to be. thats way cool. answers alot of questions. where did the one you have end up and was it ever ran? mine has had fuel in it and appears to have run the motor , but shows no signs of bottom scratches that it was ever in the water. now that really ads a bit of history to the mix, even more reason to hang it on the wall.. Hugh, you hit it on " Seems something for a true scale fan" now we know how it ended up in the northwest , it never left. gene

One thing for sure Gene - id take measurements of the offset and hold it for safe keeping you never know in this situation how that angle was derived. Question: does that offset also mean this scale could run a larger prop and suffer less from propwalk than what you normally see? Id put it on the shelf - AFTER I RAN IT :lol: . Only way to answer those questions.......

Last edited:
thank you Gale54, Jone's crew thinking full scale but building eighth scale explains how the bottom of this boat came to be. thats way cool. answers alot of questions. where did the one you have end up and was it ever ran? mine has had fuel in it and appears to have run the motor , but shows no signs of bottom scratches that it was ever in the water. now that really ads a bit of history to the mix, even more reason to hang it on the wall.. Hugh, you hit it on " Seems something for a true scale fan" now we know how it ended up in the northwest , it never left. gene
Gene, the guys worked for Ron Jones Sr. building boats. They built the 1987 Bud and helped build the 1988 , Mr Pringles. and miss Madison. They used what they learned from the big boats and made R/C. They used canoe molds made by Jones and built center molds and son on to make the boats. I think only 3 boats where ever made. They ran the first one and it had problems but did run. The second one was sold to someone out west not sure who got it and the third to me. I never ran the boat kept it for many years and I cut the canoes off of it and made my own design center of the 96 Picco. That is all I can remember about the boat I do not even remember the names of the guys who built it. They did do great craftsmanship and I would just put it on the shelf. Don

Well one wouldnt be in better company than to own one it seems ;) !

Nice Scale .Bring it out to some of the events and try concourse with it. The history alone will make it a star :wub: . pictures never really do the boats justice. I hope one day I may make a national event and see it there B) .

Make some measurements and compare it to the real thing to see how dead on or off it is. I bet it pretty true to its scale.

Hugh

Last edited:
I recall several years ago Harry Gatjens built a new Bud hull using Jones canoes, don't know if he still has it or not. I remember in the R/C Unlimiteds newsletter the comment made to not hit the boat due to the cost of the Jones supplied canoes

If this is the same hull that Don is talking about. I have a pic showing it running ?

Yes you do Doug that pic is hull number 1. They changed the cowling later on.

Gene, the guys worked for Ron Jones Sr. building boats. They built the 1987 Bud and helped build the 1988 , Mr Pringles. and miss Madison. They used what they learned from the big boats and made R/C. They used canoe molds made by Jones and built center molds and son on to make the boats. I think only 3 boats where ever made. They ran the first one and it had problems but did run. The second one was sold to someone out west not sure who got it and the third to me. I never ran the boat kept it for many years and I cut the canoes off of it and made my own design center of the 96 Picco. That is all I can remember about the boat I do not even remember the names of the guys who built it. They did do great craftsmanship and I would just put it on the shelf.Don
Sounds like Ed Allen and Tim Kelly.

Dont mean to go off topic, but Mr. Kramer I need some things from you ,Gauges, drivers etc. Sorry fellas Ive been trying to track Mr Kraemer down to no avail. Gotta sieze the moment sorry.

Last edited:
Back