Who Makes This Hull???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Smith

Hey All,

Quick question. I recently came across this beautiful Budweiser and was wondering if anyone could identify the builder? Bill Fritz? It is glass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Ken

Bud1.JPG

Bud2.JPG

Bud3.JPG

Bud4.JPG

Ken,

I would say that it is a Bill Fritz T-3 hull. I would need to see the bottom for sure. The molds were sold to RC Boat Company down in Florida. Steve is still molding hulls.

Bert Dygert

Hmmmm, I don't think it's a Fritz hull unless it's been modded big time. The Fritz hull uses a split cowl with the driver's cockpit and scoop section being two pieces. Also the cowling for the driver's cockpit is the actual windscreen that you paint to match the build. Is the center section offset? Hard to tell in those pics but if it is which side is it offset towards?

I'm trying to get the seller to snap a few "top-down" pics to determine the position of the center section. He said he has raced this boat both ways which makes me think the center sections is actually in the center. Also the drive line is a solid shaft not a flex. That will need to be replaced. The fact that this boat has an OS, solid shaft and the hull is an unknown makes me think its pretty old. Perhaps whoever made it, built it shortly after the real boat was running and kept it as a show boat. I'll post more pics as I receive them. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks Aeromarineish to me,would you race this boat? If its old enough for a hard shaft better have the seller weigh it might be a fatty. So many things to consider when buying a used scale boat.

Yeah, its a bit odd. The canopy appears a bit bulbous for this Bud. The real boat had a more lower profile canopy. Also, the paint work at the nose would need to be redone as the "glass" in the canopy is way far from the tip of the nose. Real boat had a 'V" pattern to the windshield if you look at it head on. Everything else though looks good. The shoes and the non-trips look correct to scale. The centered center section may be a deal breaker. Seems most clubs require the boat to be as close to scale as possible and that includes the center offset. The seller says it is glass but I'm guessing this was a wood project a Bud fan took on back in the 90's that never saw much lake time. Probably been sitting in a closet since then. We'll see. I'll post more info as I get it. Thanks.

15 pounds loaded I hope. Its a beautiful boat from the photos. Not saying I wouldnt change it but some folk are going back to solid shafts. Depends on the hull and setup I guess. Before I ripped the drivetrain out id run the boat as is and see what you got. If you have to angle the strut on the flex beyond a point to get the butt out of the water then it might as well be rigid. Testing the boat will answer all those questions. Run it first tho. It may run just fine as is. I like the Gold on that boat; such beautiful flake in that paint. Not trying to be all in your business but is the coin required for this boat reasonable?Looking at the width of the gold on the deck it looks to be a symmetrical hull. Im starting to lean with Mikey that it may be an aeromarine. If I had it id still race it . Why not :unsure: the superior hulls may dnf or you might be a better driver who knows. If the price was right Id bag it Just to have a BUD in my fleet. From here it looks to be a nice looking scale. Love the turbine stack.

Last edited:
This was at one of our local hobby shops for sale for along time. Best I could figure it was an aeromarine hull that was modified. Very tail heavy. He said 15 lbs? I dought it. Have him send a photo on a scale. 18 more like it. It is a very nice looking hull with some good workmanship in it. A lot of work to get it running to todays standards.

This is not the Aeromarine hull that I am familiar with. I believe the Areomarine hull was patterend off the 1986 boat, this definately is not that.

The boat has the tiplets and rear end that most resemble the Fritz hull, It is the t2 hull not the t3 as the nose is the right width for the t2, skinner than the t3. If you look closely at the radio box picture you can see outside gold paint is definitely wider than the inside so i believe it is offset, but better pictures would of course prove that.

The odd things that makes it not look lie a Fritz is the wooden radio box and the one piece cowling.

If John is correct and it was a local Seattle area boat, I would be happy to go take a look at it for you.

Harry

This is not the Aeromarine hull that I am familiar with. I believe the Areomarine hull was patterend off the 1986 boat, this definately is not that.

The boat has the tiplets and rear end that most resemble the Fritz hull, It is the t2 hull not the t3 as the nose is the right width for the t2, skinner than the t3. If you look closely at the radio box picture you can see outside gold paint is definitely wider than the inside so i believe it is offset, but better pictures would of course prove that.

The odd things that makes it not look lie a Fritz is the wooden radio box and the one piece cowling.

If John is correct and it was a local Seattle area boat, I would be happy to go take a look at it for you.

Harry
Looking closely at my pictures of the 1992 boats, this is a near perfect resemblence of the 1992 T-2. That of course still doesn't answer your questiona bout who made the hull.

didn't know this boat was topic . put it on craigslist but it found its way to inter/waters. any way its 17 lbs dry with the cowl and weighed the cowl by itself as it is heavy and it came in over 1 1/2 pounds . its offset with the strut offset to the other side. will try to get pictures to post with this post to show offset better. unw members thought it was the 92 bud. i don.t know as I bought it to display in the rec room, i couldn't see racing it and have it busted up , i have a simple round nose for that carnage. lots of places to lighten it up as its built stout. has aluminum runners on sponsons. who ever built it was a racer and master builder, did pretty good with a spraygun too. can bring it to next unw race. going to try and post pictures with this post, twelve hundred $ gene 206 799 8819

bud boat 001.JPG

bud boat 002.JPG

bud boat 003.JPG

bud boat 004.JPG

bud boat 005.JPG

bud boat 006.JPG

bud boat 008.JPG

bud boat 009.JPG

bud boat 010.JPG

bud boat 011.JPG

bud boat 012.JPG

bud boat 013.JPG

That hull has a lot of trick goodies I see B) . I always thought of metal laminated sponsons keeping a sharp edge! Nice to see that actually incorporated into a vessel. Amazing to see that much offset on the drive shaft. Wonder how they came up with that angle :mellow: . Id like to see this boat run.

Thanks Gene for posting the extra pics :) The boat's center is offset but it appears to be opposite to the full scale boats. It appears it was offset for clockwise racing instead of true-to-scale counter-clockwise. However, the larger sponson is on the left. You'd think that if the builder was going to scratch true-to-scale offset he'd also put the larger sponson on the right for better clockwise-racing weight distribution. Also, the prop shaft has a pretty sharp angle...for cornering I'm guessing? I've not seen this before. Is this a common technique for better cornering? This boat is very unique. The builder did some interesting things. I'm with Hugh, would love to see a vid of it running. Thanks.

The larger sponson needs to be on the left for aerodynamic reasons. The prop angle is definately extreme, more so than needed in my opinion, but it does help push the boat into the turns and, to an extent, counters prop walk. As for the rest of the bells and whistles, they look good but are really more show than go

Actually the wider sponson goes to the left (or right depending on direction is being run) to allow for support in the turns when the weight shifts to the outside sponson. This was done to help keep that sponson from digging in too much and causing the boat to hook or trip. ;)

Don, I think both actually apply. I was told by Mike Hanson that it helped hold the sponson down by having a shorter, higher angled face against the air flow rather than a more vertical taller one while at the same time increasing the downward pressure due to the larger deck area. This downforce was increased further by adding the clear vertical spoiler on the right sponson inside forcing the sponson down even more. This was after he rejoined the Madison crew as crewchief while they were still running the 8806 hull

I have the sellers info if anyone would like to contact him shoot me a pm and he said he is ok with me giving out his number to anyone interested in the boat. It is a truly beautiful boat

I guess Im different I couldnt have an opinion unless I saw it run. I find it hard to believe that someone would have such a great angle and it not be intentional.It Seems too radical to not be on purpose.Bells and whistles? HJ you could be right but youd have a hard time convincing me that if someone really found a way to laminate the sponsons with aluminum or some type of composite that would keep a sharp flat edge; that that sponson wouldnt handle better in most situations. Maybe not. I like the theory. Just the fact that someone wasnt afraid to go outside the box or inside maybe were out; makes it an interesting model. On offset - I didnt touch the topic coz I was told by an old guru that because of the overall displacement of an rc hull versus the real deal we run offset in a different manner and not totally for the same reasons as the real deal, so.... In others words I havent figured out whats correct with that yet :wacko: . Anyhoo It seems a very nice model for someone who wants that year bud . Some will say its too heavy. Id say nah coz Ive seen a 60 dollar brushless motor make an 18 pound scale do wheelies.That weight is not ideal but it just requires a motor with some kahunas. Its an extremely interesting model. I dont know who built it, but I sure like it B) . Seems something for a true scale fan - not necessarily a hardcore racer but concours HMM :wub:

Last edited:
Back