WaterProof Servo/Radio Equipment Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReidCuddy

Just was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a waterproof servo. I am going to be mounting it near the transom and I saw that futaba makes a metal gear, water resistant one but it says Not Waterproof. Also, I need to buy a transmitter and receiver, want to get 2.4 GHz and was leaning towards futaba there as well. Any recommendations? I only need a two channel transmitter, but I see a lot of different ones online and am not sure which to get. Thanks

Some people swear by "Corrossion X" while others swear that the only way to waterproof a receiver is to fill it full of epoxy. You will find others that will run the gammut in between. First off, there is no such thing as a water proof servo. To get the motor shaft to the gears, there has to be an opening. Water WILL find it's way through that opening. You should consider your first line of defence is a good solid radio box with the proper seals to keep the water out. This can be supplemented by a piece of sponge or similar to absorb any water that gets in. There are balloons made to give another line of defence for receivers, though you will read about mixed results on those. I would talk to other boaters and see how they set up their radios and boxes. If you can find one that can run all day without getting water inside, you might start with that set up and go from there

Some people swear by "Corrossion X" while others swear that the only way to waterproof a receiver is to fill it full of epoxy. You will find others that will run the gammut in between. First off, there is no such thing as a water proof servo. To get the motor shaft to the gears, there has to be an opening. Water WILL find it's way through that opening. You should consider your first line of defence is a good solid radio box with the proper seals to keep the water out. This can be supplemented by a piece of sponge or similar to absorb any water that gets in. There are balloons made to give another line of defence for receivers, though you will read about mixed results on those. I would talk to other boaters and see how they set up their radios and boxes. If you can find one that can run all day without getting water inside, you might start with that set up and go from there
I agree with Hydro Junkie, Don't think there is such a thing as a waterproof servo-a good tight raido box is your best protection and use good 3M radio box tape. I've also folded up paper towels and put them in the bottom of the radio box to absorb moisture-if you have the room.

Glenn

I have tried the Traxxas servo, and it is NOT water proof, only good when damp, also not enough torque for a larger boat

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Walt's Hobbies

I have taken servo's apart and reasembled with RTV silicone and greased the output shaft area. Will help as also Corrosion X. Putting a reciever in a bag/baloon/condom inside a sealed radio box as secordary protection is helpful. Paper towels and something like pieces of Shamwow will absorb minor leaking moisture and cushion vibration. Again good secondary proceedure to a sealed radio box. Complete waterproofing is almost impossible but you can surely up the percenage of water resistance.

I do everything what Mic said but no ballon i take and dip it in plastic dip and make sure my box doesnt leak.

Back