Vintage Mono Hull's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Had one of the 31" inboards with a K&B .21 when I was a kid (always wanted all three though!), and was able to just recently acquire all three, the 31", 40", and 46", will be running an OS .21 in the 31, OS .46 in the 40, and K&B .91 in the 46, ahh trips to earlier years!!, BTW these hulls are still available from hyperformance products, you have to call though, as they dont list them online, and they prime in the mold now, the white hatch on the 40 is a new production from them. Don't know how competetive they'd be now as they are considered a deep vee, and I've been told they run best with the semi-subsurface drive that they originally were set up with, and that is how I plan to build them. No clubs in my area anymore so racing isn't my concern! The Prathers were some of the best in their day (tunnels and vee's)!"

Sounds good. I think these (deep-vee) hulls will compete well with the current mono's out there (ie. Seaducer's, CalCraft's, etc.,...) when equipped with good power and right prop. They perform best using sub-surface drive, yes. I believe their only shortfall (compared to the Seaducer for example) is turning speed. But I think this can be fixed with proper set-up/testing.

Wow, they actually prime the outer surface in the molds now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been working on my prather on IW for some time now. Where were you guys when i needed you? lol Im running surface and it turns pretty well. I think. Im still trying to work out some kinks . I pushed the skywing esc to its limits with a t600 and an x452 . I will likely put a hv240 castle or fightercat esc in it.

Last edited:
interesting. I've yet to play around with an electric powered hull (of any kind). Sounds fun. Do you have the stuffing-tube exiting the transom eactly at the bottom of the hull (like laying on top of the inside of the hull)?

Yes sir got the fe section and look for parther 40 revisited.even some short footage of it running. Its running wet but i havent been able to get past the minute mark with the skywing 200 amp esc, so I havent really had time to trim it.

hugh

Nitro, Fe, its all the same, I just love boats.

Dick Jones runs a Dumas and it is real fast and handles just as good as any thing on the water.

Surface drive with a RS91 in it. he calls it the white wale. All 24Lbs. of it. Most of it is lead on the bow.

David

Beautiful mono. Hey look at the lines of this mono I dug up from gils gallery: View attachment 34915

id take that current too. Sleek as heck.

• Wonder will anyone be switching back to sub-surface drives? I wouldnt be surprized at all.
Looks like a 3 - D Ruffstuff , still have one and a 45 size Demon .

I think it is a Bounty Hunter as it says on the side of the boat. If memory serves, it was released as an outboard.

My prather is originally designed for outboard. Thats what I was trying to explain to Darin on my thread but he never got back to me. I like the windshield on the inboard model better. I wonder which one truly handles better?

My prather is originally designed for outboard. Thats what I was trying to explain to Darin on my thread but he never got back to me. I like the windshield on the inboard model better. I wonder which one truly handles better?
The early Prather vee has a "classic" offshore style deck. I have never compared to two styles side by side but I believe they share the same hull. And I believe the inboard and outboard versions are identical with the exception of the engine rails. The inboard would handle better because of the better CG location.

no no go look at darins boat. My windshield is like the prather photos above. the inboard doesnt have a v shaped windshield its more like a square ramp . Just look around and you will see what im speaking of.

When I was speaking of handling I meant ; I wonder which winshield style does the best job aerodynamically speaking.

If I remember correctly, Prather first released the classic style deck, which has the square ramp style windshield that you talked about. They later relased the V shaped windshield in both inboard and outboard version. In fact, I remember even the early version (square ramp) was available for outboard set up.

I guess the square ramp windshield would provide greater down force compared to the other style deck. But it would only make a difference at higher speeds.

Yes, Prather's deep vees had two different deck styles, the "classic" which had a kind of ski jump windscreen, and the later model "offshore" which has the segmented windscreen. The 40" and 31" we're available in OB versions and the only difference was the stringers supplied with the kit. I'm pretty sure both the classic and offshore versions shared the same hull just different decks, but I have heard that the classic version handled better at high speeds.

Can you race a twin 45 mono in x mono?

Love that black and red boat on page 1.
to be honest I'm not sure if current N.A.M.B.A. rules allow twin engines in X-Mono. I'd like to know myself
Sure ya can,,, from the current NAMBA rule book

A. ENGINE CLASSIFICATION

1. Internal combustion glow engines:

Class Displacement

A 0 - 3.509 cc (0 - 0.21 cu. in.)

B 3.51 - 7.509 cc (0.22 - 0.45 cu. in.)

C 7.51 - 11.009 cc (0.46 - 0.67 cu. in.)

X 11.01 – 35.000 cc (0.68 – 2.14 cu. in.)

Back