Very Fast Facts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
I decided to resurrect this that Andy put up on rc.boat a while back. Still cool no matter how many times I read it. :)

a.. One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower then the first 8 rows at the Daytona 500.

b.. Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 12 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded Boeing 747, but with 4 times the energy density.

c.. The supercharger takes more power to drive then a stock hemi makes.

d.. With nearly 3000 CFM (cubic feet per minute) of air being rammed in by the supercharger on

overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly solid form before ignition.

e.. Therefore the cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

f.. Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the equivalent output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

a.. At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitro methane measures 7050 degrees F.

b.. Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the exhaust stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

c.. Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F.

d.. The engine can only be shut down by cutting off its fuel flow.

e.. If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

f.. Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (up to 20 degrees at the rear end of the crank) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with

the pistons.

g.. To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

h.. If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

i.. Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have read this sentence.

j.. Top Fuel Engines ONLY turns 540 revolutions from light to light!

k.. The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm.

l.. To give you an idea of this acceleration, the current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.477 seconds for the quarter mile.

m.. This means that you could be coming across the starting line in your average SL55 AMG "twin-turbo" Mercedes at 200 mph (on a FLYING START) and the dragster would BEAT you to the finish line FROM A DEAD

STOP in a Quarter mile distance!

And that is why I will always be at the Gator Nationals instead of boat racing each and every year! :D

You also forgot...the driver also take an almost 8G load to STOP!!!!

...no transmissions...slipper clutch only/air actuated

... one set of clutch discs [up to 7] per run

...engine bearings are inspected after each run as compression/explosion actually flattens them, making them useless...hence they can check the tune of a motor by there compression

.engine concotion[?] is actually so hard that it creates irregular heart beats in people at the starting line....you are actualy warned [on your ticket and a sign] that if you have a heart condition to not attend

I could go on an on but it's just facts....you need to be there to understand!!!!

hi everybody......hello don,

yes, a tf dragster is really very impressive but it can be topped by slammin' sammy miller :

http://www.draglist.com/Pictures/POD-Jul-2002/POD-071302.htm

in the 80's i raced pro stock bikes here in europe and i saw this guy several times on 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile tracks.......he raced down the santa pod dragway (1/4 mile) in 3.7 seconds and made a top speed of more than 400 mph........on 1/8 mile tracks he accelerated his vanishing point in less than 2 seconds to a top speed of nearly 200 mph !!!

you won't believe it, even when you see it.........the staging tree switches to green and he is away.......your eyes can't follow him.......best regards from germany, holgi !!!

:lol: equally as wild is trying to teach someone about two strokes and all that happens in 1 rotation :p let alone try to get them to understand that at 30,000 rpm all that stuff happening is doing so at 500 times per second !

Most will shake their head and walk away :huh:

Scott

Scott Schneider said:
:lol:   equally as wild is trying to teach someone about two strokes and all that happens in 1 rotation  :p   let alone try to get them to understand that at 30,000 rpm all that stuff happening is doing so at 500 times per second !
Most will shake their head and walk away  :huh:

Scott

94405[/snapback]

.......and in the On-road cars the .21's are turning 45,000 . That's 750 times per Second. :eek:

I'm a big fan too, awsome what those cars do! I also like that it's not as big as NASCAR or F1 and that you can still get close to the "pits" and talk to the drivers. :)

Go team Kalitta!!!

Chris Forton, a buddy who got me started in R/C boating years ago, works on the Budweiser team. He started years back when Whit Basemore was driving the Permatex funny car. Then signed on w/ Chuck Etchells & followed Tim Richards over to the Bud crew. Man the stories that guy has. It is a must see event for anyone interested at all in internal combustion. Quick story, Etchells was on deck & I can't remember where when or whatever, but the car in front of them did their burn out. He was sitting in the drivers seat of their tow vehicle & the airbag went off right in his face, they disconnect the airbags now!

JOE

AndyBrown said:
Scott Schneider said:
:lol:   equally as wild is trying to teach someone about two strokes and all that happens in 1 rotation  :p   let alone try to get them to understand that at 30,000 rpm all that stuff happening is doing so at 500 times per second !
Most will shake their head and walk away  :huh:

Scott

94405[/snapback]

.......and in the On-road cars the .21's are turning 45,000 . That's 750 times per Second. :eek:

94425[/snapback]

.......and in the One Second time period the piston accellerates to 90 mph and stops 1500 times. :blink:

Terry Keeley said:
I'm a big fan too, awsome what those cars do!  I also like that it's not as big as NASCAR or F1 and that you can still get close to the "pits" and talk to the drivers.  :)
Go team Kalitta!!!

94446[/snapback]

Terry, you are very correct, they are going to be contenders if they fix the reaction time problem. The cars are running great this year. Schumacher is going to have to start looking over his shoulder. I spent most of my time at the Gators in the Kalitta pits, (all three of them). They have a lot of knowledge over there. LOL. And don't let anyone tell you Shirley is just sitting around either. LOL.

Terry, you are very correct, they are going to be contenders if they fix the reaction time problem. The cars are running great this year. Schumacher is going to have to start looking over his shoulder. I spent most of my time at the Gators in the Kalitta pits, (all three of them). They have a lot of knowledge over there. LOL. And don't let anyone tell you Shirley is just sitting around either. LOL.

94503[/snapback]

Ya, been following the Kalitta's about 10 years now, you see the same faces year after year and the guys really seem to get along and have a good time. When Connie's around he's just like "one of the boys", nobody seems to kiss his a$$ or anything, that's kinda kewl.

I caught them in Dallas last year and Grubnic lost in the final on a hole shot IIRC, when the guys were tearing down they were playing Adam Sandler's "Piece of Sheet Car" and havin' a good laugh. :p

My plan is to catch the Gator's next year, maybe I'll can catch up with you and Ron there?

Terry Keeley said:

94503[/snapback]

Ya, been following the Kalitta's about 10 years now, you see the same faces year after year and the guys really seem to get along and have a good time. When Connie's around he's just like "one of the boys", nobody seems to kiss his a$$ or anything, that's kinda kewl.

I caught them in Dallas last year and Grubnic lost in the final on a hole shot IIRC, when the guys were tearing down they were playing Adam Sandler's "Piece of Sheet Car" and havin' a good laugh. :p

My plan is to catch the Gator's next year, maybe I'll can catch up with you and Ron there?

94603[/snapback]

Give us notice so we can book the Sheridan. We need to start to work on it in November.

Terry Keeley said:

94603[/snapback]

Terry that would be great if you can make it! As Norm says let us know way in advance so we can get rooms at the same hotel.

Ron

RaceCraftBearings said:
Terry Keeley said:

94603[/snapback]

Terry that would be great if you can make it! As Norm says let us know way in advance so we can get rooms at the same hotel.

Ron

94719[/snapback]

Indeed. This year was screwed up for me. November is a perfect time to plan. Tickets in the same spot are good too. I will remind you guys. The Sheridan in town is very cool. Not much more than a Motel either.

Back