Venting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

I went to the local Hobby Town tonight. I know big mistake. I waited for twenty minutes while the two idiots behind the counter were trying to sell two customers R/C monster trucks and various accessories that they did not need (including the wrong type of charger). The customers had no idea what they wanted and they were spending more time trying to decide what color they wanted on their RTR trucks than anything else. When one of the salesmen finally acknowledged me I pointed to the servo I wanted and asked if he could get that from under the counter. I figured I could take it up front and pay for it while the other guys were bouncing their trucks up and down on the counter trying to make up their minds. When I asked for the servo which was right under the guy's hand he told me that I would have to wait until he was finished with the other customer. Now I can appreciate that he was helping someone else but it would have taken him all of 10 seconds. I knew what I wanted, in fact I would venture to say that i knew the inventory better than the guy behind the counter. Well in the end after waiting five more minutes. I left. That is it. I will never go back. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Seems to be the case everywhere, and the reason all the local hobby shops are closing, here in reno there is only one hobby shop left and they specialize in rock crawlers only. Very unfortunate but a lot of businesses are trying so hard to make a sale that they are driving people away, and leaving a bad impression on others. I try to keep my business local but practices like that send me straight to the internet.

For one thing they put these kids behind the counter and they know jack **** about any rc stuff.

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
Our hobby town is very good, and never had an issue with them, they dont deal in boats (other than rtr's) so I cant expect them to know that side of the coin, but have always got me my parts quick fast and in a hurry with excelent customer service, most of the time they call me to let me know my order came in to!

I have to agree with Dave. As I see it, part of the problem is many of the shop owners don't know the products and expect the "kids" they hire to sell products by stressing the manufacturer's claims without any instructions on the what, where, why and hows of the hobby supply industry. IMHO, anyone with experience in R/C should be able to see right through the BS and should let the store owner know they don't appreciate being fed a line of bull by a kid trying to make a big sale

It was Hobby Town. The sad thing is the owner is a decent guy and has been trying to draw our club members to the store. However, there is not much there that we use. For the little things I try to drive down there about 20 min, but after what happened today I am going to think twice.

Dave you are right they know nothing. In fact if I wasn't so upset I would have piped up to help steer things in the right direction.

Wow! I can't remember the last time I was called "a kid who knows jack **** about r/c stuff". Dave- the next time you are insulting people about not knowing anything, you should at least spell "know" properly to show that you "know" something. :p

We have a great store here the guys fly run boats and race cars they know what they are talking about if they dont have it they will get it for you. Robert

Eric Canto

Know one was saying names or talking to you in the first place.I didn't see you name on the post.All I was saying that hobby shops has kids working that KNOW jack **** and we have them here to.

Dave

i have to be pretty desperate to go to our local hobbytown

when/if I convince myself it's absolutely necessary... I expect absolutely nothing from the staff there. I know what I'm there for (I call ahead to check if it's in stock) I buy it and leave asap....

the internet has made the lack of local hobbyshops (they all closed years ago) less of an issue...all my tools, materials are delivered directly to my door which is cheaper than me burning gas to get it...lol

i have to be pretty desperate to go to our local hobbytown

when/if I convince myself it's absolutely necessary... I expect absolutely nothing from the staff there. I know what I'm there for (I call ahead to check if it's in stock) I buy it and leave asap....

the internet has made the lack of local hobbyshops (they all closed years ago) less of an issue...all my tools, materials are delivered directly to my door which is cheaper than me burning gas to get it...lol
Amen to that.................

Most local hobby stores Dont want Boaters standing in there stores talking with their customers about competition boating when they are Setting on 100,000`s of dollars in inventory of cars, trks, planes.Here the Nitro car & trk toys are expensive & just about not happening. the customers are going out the door with cars & trks with li poly batteries to power them...... Even the hobby stores that can specialize in Nitro Toys are Not buying them for inventory....

Most local hobby stores Dont want Boaters standing in there stores talking with their customers about competition boating when they are Setting on 100,000`s of dollars in inventory of cars, trks, planes.Here the Nitro car & trk toys are expensive & just about not happening. the customers are going out the door with cars & trks with li poly batteries to power them...... Even the hobby stores that can specialize in Nitro Toys are Not buying them for inventory....
I have to agree with Joe about not stocking the expensive cars and trucks, as they are not selling but the less expensive cars and trucks are, (under $250.00 ) are selling. not fast but they are moving, most Airplanes we are selling are the electric foam ones. Very little nitro and gas.

Walt Barney

Walt's Hobbies

Tanks 2 U

Well get this LHS story........I go in to buy some glue and while I am there I start telling the owner that we have a pond to run boats in so if they know of any boaters in the area to contact me about running boats. The woman that runs the shop asks me what type of boats we run. I tell her mostly nitro but we welcome any type. She goes off on this rant about how nitro boats poison lakes and kill fish and so on. Turns out after talking with her a bit longer, it was a local gas boat customer of hers is who convinced her that nitro was evil. And just like you.....I'll never go back.

Mark Poole wrote " it was a local gas boat customer of hers is who convinced her that nitro was evil." This just irritates me to no end. :angry: That guy is so misinformed. We should be promoting our hobby not talking negatively about it.

Reading some of these LHS horror stories makes me appreciate the two great hobby shops in my area. Although neither one stocks a lot of model boating supplies, both are supportive of model boating. RC Hobbies in Lacey even sponsors one of club's races in April.

JD

I've got 3 hobby shops here in town and most deal with the RC car and truck stuff, surprisingly not a lot of plane stuff either and then it's mostly RTF stuff.

The HT USA in town is almost sterile with most items behind the counters or locked glass. The others sell AquaCraft and ProBoat boats and not a lot of those are in stock. One that did shut its doors was more into trains, board games and telescopes yet were good at getting me some things boat related.

I do buy local when I can but it's more for radio systems, servo's, battery packs and hardware that all segments of RC use

sounds like you have the proverbial exception to the rule Jerry, I agree with Joe that boats have always been small potatoes to the lhs in northern california, we have always been the redheaded stepchildren to the high dollar car/plane scene

boats just don't self destruct as often as cars hitting the boards or planes crashing...

tho, with the FE movement, high dollar boat racing is starting to arrive...and nitro boaters are fewer and far between

It is difficult to just lump all retail stores into one generalized category. There are some great hobby stores around. There are also lousy stores that sell things other than hobby items and crafts. I spent hours in a local Verizon retail store. The owner was trying to helpl me get improved cell service. She could not even explain the products she had in the display case or answer questions. I am sure that there are some great Verizon outlets, but I just did not happen to be in one.

Latest posts

Back