U-25 Pride of Pay'n Pak 1969

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the photos of the real boat closely, the rear tail cockpit and engine cowl are of the TALL type, not the low profile style.

Color is Persimmon, I can get the color Number for you guys.
What is the color number?
I'll get it this afternoon.
Ok, This time I made it down to the shop and didn't get distracted...............

Dupont Chromabase (Axalta)

NFC 44466K H

LT Persimmon - Effect
I got the boat built, primed and ready to paint. Where can I fine this paint?
Roger,

Dupont or now known as Axalta, automotive paint supplier

FWIW, this is the hull that should make the nitro 1/8 scale straightaway record run. it should beat his Dads record!!

I am a slow poke,after much consideration a Klegicel Carbon sandwich it will be. A layer of carbon between each and a couple on each end should make for a strong light boom........ As you can tell lamination has not started im going to do all 4 at once.

I should know, but what is the current Nitro .67 SAW record? in IMPBA? I thought Liddycoat put it up near 100? and the electrics are close?

Great post. Thanks for the input.

Back on topic, The weakest point on the 69 outrigger PNP, as a race-boat, is between the tub, and the tip of the right (STBD) sponson. The spars can be constructed in many ways, without failure, because of the large cross-section. On the STBD Sponson, pay attention how the sheer, the front recovery pad, and non-trips can structurally support that vulnerable area that is prone to hitting bouys... :-

SAW is another Animal...

For my race boat, I have previously previously preferred to use a G-10 Backer plus 1/16'' aircraft plywood laminate as transverse bulkheads, beamed by any type of foam to create the beam between sponsons, to be light, and strong.

DJ

Last edited by a moderator:
1/3 oval 1/8 LIDDYCOAT/PORTER 19.056 47.229

PORTER / LIDDYCOAT 2.419 93.014

I should know, but what is the current Nitro .67 SAW record? in IMPBA? I thought Liddycoat put it up near 100? and the electrics are close?

Great post. Thanks for the input.

Back on topic, The weakest point on the 69 outrigger PNP, as a race-boat, is between the tub, and the tip of the right (STBD) sponson. The spars can be constructed in many ways, without failure, because of the large cross-section. On the STBD Sponson, pay attention how the sheer, the front recovery pad, and non-trips can structurally support that vulnerable area that is prone to hitting bouys... :-

SAW is another Animal...

For my race boat, I have previously previously preferred to use a G-10 Backer plus 1/16'' aircraft plywood laminate as transverse bulkheads, beamed by any type of foam to create the beam between sponsons, to be light, and strong.

DJ
what thickness g10 makes sense? how does g10 hold up to boat to boat/bouy impact?

DJ's boat has a total of 35 wins over 17 years so I'd say it held up VERY WELL. Here's what I could dig up in the R/C Unlimited archives:

1985: 1 win

1986: 1 win

1987: 5 wins

1988: 3 wins

1989: 2 wins

1990: 2 wins

1991: 4 wins

1993: 2 win

1994: 2 wins

1995: 2 wins

1996: 2 wins

1999: 1 win

2000: 3 wins

2001: 2 wins

2002: 1 win

There were also two more wins by this boat, apparently driven by DJ's father.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lennard,

I used .015 thick G-10 (it's kind of heavy) to reinforce all (4) transverse bulkheads that formed the spars on my boat when it was built in 1994. I didn't have the 'cool stuff' you all have today. On it's debut at 12.5#, my new Pak won a Gold Cup in its first race in 94'. And used blue foam as the beam between spars. Light.

Again, what I stress is that the distance between the Pak Hull (center section), and the STBD sponson was almost exactly perfect to put maximum stress, on breaking the front tip off the Pak Hull. Lets say the distance between the sponson and the hull was 4", and the bouy diameter was 4.5"... can you imagine the leverage at 60 mph.... That was the reason for my input. It trained me to not hit bouys... and in that era, Crab pot bouys were the standard.... very HARD. Made me a better driver. :) Ask Away, I'm here on occasion.

Thanks for the support HJ, but your numbers are inaccurate.

DJ

As I said, DJ, I pulled them from the stats page on the R/CU's website. If they're information is inaccurate, that's why my numbers are as well. Hell, they have Harold Shew listed as Keith Shew so, if they can get a name wrong, it's likely they have other stuff wrong as well

DJ,

My Pak was approximately the same weight as yours. I had a crack in paint across the sponson but never had a failure as you described. Not that it was built any stronger. Sounds more like Im lucky we have softer breakaway bouys held in place with rubber bands. . Its a plug now.

So you ever going to dust off the boats and race them again?

Hi Lennard,

I used .015 thick G-10 (it's kind of heavy) to reinforce all (4) transverse bulkheads that formed the spars on my boat when it was built in 1994. I didn't have the 'cool stuff' you all have today. On it's debut at 12.5#, my new Pak won a Gold Cup in its first race in 94'. And used blue foam as the beam between spars. Light.

Again, what I stress is that the distance between the Pak Hull (center section), and the STBD sponson was almost exactly perfect to put maximum stress, on breaking the front tip off the Pak Hull. Lets say the distance between the sponson and the hull was 4", and the bouy diameter was 4.5"... can you imagine the leverage at 60 mph.... That was the reason for my input. It trained me to not hit bouys... and in that era, Crab pot bouys were the standard.... very HARD. Made me a better driver. :) Ask Away, I'm here on occasion.

Thanks for the support HJ, but your numbers are inaccurate.

DJ
thanx so much DJ....

reason i ask is i recently hooked up Rudy Formanek with Brad Maglinger for the sale of a Jim Wilson build of the Circus Circus canard....

build involved alot of g10 over foam...needless to say, I hadda wonder what i was missing out on building with g10 (not to mention... many of the record holding boats in our district used g10 throughout)

worked with dave brandt on my two most recent builds....primarily wood, CF and glass,,,

considering g10 on my upcoming builds

Back