TT & carbon fibre pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10x8

TO Tim_Duggan: or Thunder Tiger OB runners,

Hi Tim,

Could you possibly describe how to put a pipe on the TT Pro 21M? I got one from Gilly at fast elecs. I cannot see how this can be done, as the entire unit of the TT looks to be all connected, re: muffler, skeg etc...The motor is brand spanking new and I do not want to tamper with it, without prior knowledge.

Also, is the hitec 705bb 1/4 scale a good choice for steering servo or should I stick to a high torque/speed normal size servo?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks

Peter :)

Last edited:
10x8 said:
TO Tim_Duggan:  or Thunder Tiger OB runners,
    Hi Tim,

Could you possibly describe how to put a pipe on the TT Pro 21M?  I got one from Gilly at fast elecs.  I cannot see how this can be done, as the entire unit of the TT looks to be all connected, re: muffler, skeg etc...The motor is brand spanking new and I do not want to tamper with it, without prior knowledge.

Also, is the hitec 705bb 1/4 scale a good choice for steering servo or should I stick to a high torque/speed normal size servo? 

My email is [email protected] 

Thanks

Peter :)

105398[/snapback]

You'll have to cut away the portion of the lower unit to fit the tuned on.In other words the stock muffler that is built into the lower unit needs to be cut-out to allow the tuned pipe to fit.I'm sure others will key-up and explain it better.

And that servo will turn just about anything.....If you have room for it in your radio box go for it. If not the standard case hi-torque will do.

I understand that your going to meet with TimD soon, believe me , he can tell you stuff about that engine like no one else can. He can even make it "scream" without a pipe :eek:

Hi Peter,

The GadjetCraft F1-11 and the Thunder Tiger Outboard are a great combo - even without a pipe that combo can run 77Kph in a sensible trim angle for racing - More than competitive. My friend and I raced this combination for about 5 years. That combo won a lot of "dust collectors".

My suggestion to you would be to set the boat up and get it running without using the pipe straight away. You can do the mods to fit the pipe later when all of the "new boat bugs" have been removed. With the pipe on, it is easy to overpower that hull! That pipe works pretty well on the TT engine by the way - It haul's @ss.

Servo - make sure you use something with Metal Gears. If you haven't bought something already - then have alook at the Hitec HS645MG - standard sized servo but plenty of torque and metal gears.

Our next club day at the regatta centre is on the 10th July. There should be about 5 O/B tunnels there on the day. We are there from 8am. Newbies are welcome!

Thanks Tim & others who replied, much appreciated. Hopefully I will have it finished by the 10th July, but I doubt it. I will bring it out to show you anyway and get some tips. Is the regatta centre at Penrith, if so, could you give directions on how to get there or a website? I will talk my mate into driving as I ride a bike and cannot fit the boat on it. If that fails, I will ask her indoors, and if that fails, I will ride out, boatless.

I am very glad what I have heard about the TT. I was going down the OS path, but could not find one for under $8 million, lol. I picked up the TT from Kelletts for $340 delivered.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to the day. :D

Regards

Peter

Hey 10X8,

Here's a pic of my last F1-11 in action at Hunter Valley - hope it serves as some inspiration for you to get your boat done :) My F1-11

Aim for a CG of 28% with at boat when youy build it and it will be very close.

Where are you located? Someone might be able to give you a lift to / from the pond.

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic of the gadjetcraft coming together. If it does not load, it is yellow and looks fast. :) Grrr,

Tim - Boat looks sic, my inspiration is complete and boat is done, except throttle hook up, experiencing pain. We will be there on the 10th, mate will drive. I am inner west Sydney. I will bring my boat to get corrections on my failures, BUT, I have glued hard like good Smiffs do. My mate with the other Gad'cft with O/S says it looks ok though, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Tim,

I plan on the duel tank setup, I will see your boat for info. I put a Hitec 705 for the steering and a Hitec 5625 for throttle. I like the 705 for steering, it is prob overkill, but I got it for a great price. The dig servo is good & strong too, but I once set one to 120% throw and it failed to work, thus I set them at 119%, if I need too now.

I have a charging jack mounted with on/off switch on the radio box lid. I will cover it with tape when it will be running. I cannot get another pic to load? :blink:

This is my own personal website for photos of various ve-hicles:

http://landmax.bigpondhosting.com/album_6.htm

P.S. - You know the funny thing. The old man and I were reminiscing just last night about the old days. As a snotty kid, I'd ask for the F1 nitro boat from Bergs @ Parramatta, and he'd say, idiot, what are you thinking son? Where will you race that? Where son? I said today, Dad, I got that boat, and we both laughed!!

My mate, Bob and I are looking froward to seeing these tunnels race, no doubt.

Last edited:
Hey Peter

great to see more interest in the tunnels and looking forward to seeing you guys on Sunday should be a good turnout.

Mate you wont go wrong with Tims advice,just ask us weve all been there.

Cheers

Greg

gmorty said:
Hey Peter
great to see more interest in the tunnels and looking forward to seeing you guys on Sunday should be a good turnout.

Mate you wont go wrong with Tims advice,just ask us weve all been there.

Cheers

Greg

105826[/snapback]

[SIZE=21pt]TIM IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE] :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww shucks! I like helping people who want help or are prepared to listen to advice. It's in everyone's interest in r/c boating to look after newbies. Without new people it will go the way of the dinosaurs.

Peter,

Your throttle cable outer shroud needs to be connected to the motor mount so that it maintains the correct carb setting when you change the rudder position. Easy enough to do with some flat alloy plate and some fuel tubing over the shroud to stop it moving. Also, it looks to me like the cable shroud has been cut too short. You could remove that adjustable engine mount if the shroud is too short and too hard to remove/ replace, and just use the stock TT mount on the F1-11 transom (it's not perpendicular to the running surface on purpose - suits the TT engine VERY well B) ) i can explain this in more detail if you wish.

You might want to think about some sort of "transom brace" also.

The 2nd tank helps to maintain a needle setting as the tank level drops. This is real important with Thunder Tiger's as the carbs are fairly sensitive. Try to get the tanks as close to the CG point as you can.

Use a wooden dowel to balance the hull on RTR less fuel and try to get it to balance as close to 28% of the hull length from the rear edges of the sponsons. If you need to add weight to get to this figure, use stick-on lead and put it on the front of the radio box.

Cheers,

Tim.

Hey Tim,

If it rains this weekend, will the event be called off? :(

Also, my boat is all finished, bar the throttle hookup. :D

Cheers

Peter

Latest posts

Back