Trimming 40 SD3 Seaducer mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Glass

Hi guys, I have had a 40 SD3 Seaducer mono for a while and it runs pretty good but it runs very wet and I can't seem to get it to loosen up. It is running all the seaducer hardware and setup as per the instructions and I'm running a ops 7.5cc motor in it with a x450 prop. Any one got any tips

Hi guys, I have had a 40 SD3 Seaducer mono for a while and it runs pretty good but it runs very wet and I can't seem to get it to loosen up. It is running all the seaducer hardware and setup as per the instructions and I'm running a ops 7.5cc motor in it with a x450 prop. Any one got any tips
The OPS is "underpowered" by today's standards.

Is the X450 a 3 blade, or a 2 blade? Either way a X450/3 needs to be de-pitched slightly to work with a CMB RS45, so I'd say it needs to be de-pitched quit a but for a OPS.

I know, that an Octura X646/3 runs REAL good on that boat with a CMB RS45, so, a X447/3 may be a good choice with the OPS.

I had the same problem with a Seaducer 60 boat with a OPS 67 in it, it would not loosen up till a bit of fuel was burned off, once I switched to the CMB 67 green head that problem went away.

If the Boat is set up properly ( Seaducer spec`s is Best)? The things that cause a boat to run too wet can be. Strut Angle, Rudder blade too long, strut blade set too deep, Bent prop, Wrong prop, also a water leak adding weight to the boat as it runs,( the inst show you cut a large hole in the transom this allows for strut adjustment & to let the water out during racing events) Do you know where the hook is in the boat hull? Most surface drive 40 seaducers only have approx 7 inches of hook from the transom measuring forward. This will be the widest point of the hook. If it is longer than that you may want to look @ the hull more closely. You cannot leave a Mono hull strapped to a boat stand Hard for long periods with extreme heat. it will disfigure the hull @ a critical point ( the ride surface) p.s. Many look closely @ the rocker @ the rear of the transom on the bottom, another area that is critical....hope this helps get you running..... jw

Last edited by a moderator:
dads boat was the same way.. we checked all joe stated above.. we ended up redoing the bottom and it is awsome now.. but it took some time..

start with all the stated above.. if that don't do it you will have to work on the bottom

chris

I would have to agree with everything said- but.

I would be thinking more along the lines Rick mention, smaller prop or more motor FIRST ,

before you go making a perfectly good hull work to match an underpowered motor.

If it doesnt work that way- then consider the bottom as a last result.

Just my .02 for what thats worth :p

Andy

My Seaducer SD3 40 runs wet when I'm not in race water, but she REALLY comes to life in race water conditions. It is super stable and rides on top of the water just fine when racing. Don't mess with too much until you see how it performs in a heat race.

It may be the power plant and prop though as others have mentioned... Mine has a CMB Cam 45 and a 3 blade x450 so your mileage may vary.

dads boat was the same way.. we checked all joe stated above.. we ended up redoing the bottom and it is awsome now.. but it took some time..

start with all the stated above.. if that don't do it you will have to work on the bottom

chris
Hi Chis, do you reckon you could send me some photos of your dads boat with a straight edge on it so I can see what it is like my email is [email protected]. I agree in heat racing with choppy water it would go well but i don't race just a hobbyist so I want to try get it sitting on its tail a bit more.

chris
Hi Chis, do you reckon you could send me some photos of your dads boat with a straight edge on it so I can see what it is like my email is [email protected]. I agree in heat racing with choppy water it would go well but i don't race just a hobbyist so I want to try get it sitting on its tail a bit more.

Troy if you just want to Air It Out put a little angle (up) in the strut & move the strut UP in the bracket. 1/16 is a big adjustment. Shorten the rudder to the min... if you know where to bent rake in the prop this will lift the nose too..

You will have to contact my father steve wood... he has the boat.. he can shoot you some pictures of the bottom.

chris]

chris

Troy I dont mean to sound like a smart ass BUT B)

Have you tried ANY of the other options presented here first before playing with the bottom ?????

There has been a TON of good advice tossed out here

The bottom of the boat is the LAST ONE .

1) Your running a low on power motor for the boat-my .02 .

2) Too much prop for said motor.

3)The odds are because you stated your not racing the boat- your running alone-

A huge factor in how a Seaducer handles.

4) DONT TOUCH the bottom till you have run through the rest of the things suggested FIRST.

This is only my opinion , and lord knows they vary by individual ;)

IMHO - IF your gonna stick with that motor and be running alone-

your gonna have to find a little different way to skin a cat- so to speak.

Andy

Again, as i stated before.. I would also start at EVERY option including props.. even a different motor if you are under power before working on the bottom.

Let me explain what we did so you understand how much work is involved.

I bought a new 45 mono sd3 for dad 2yrs ago.

new 45 rs motor ect.

we started out PER JERRY'S instructions. we went all over the board on strut height, angle ect.. worked on rudder lenght ect. depitched props.. cupped props. back cut props detonged props. tryed a different pipe that did not have as much back pressure to try and get the motor to spool up more.. again we didn't have much luck.. I know from jerry, joe and others the boats ARE DESIGNED TO RUN WET IN SMOOTH WATER.. that is what makes them work.. so it is very very hard to test one in smooth water.. and get a good idea of where you are at.

well we decided to sand on the bottom.. we talked to tom david.. he gave us a suggested place to start.. we did just that.. READ THIS CAREFULLY... WE WENT TO MUCH. the boat was stupid loose.. it would bob up and down like a porpus.. lol

so... we used evercoat bondo and rebonded the bottom.. take in mind this is a very SMALL area.. just at the traiing edge of the hull ( transom ) about a 4" wide path on both sides of the hull

we then went to the lake and i was determined to get it rignt.. so after 2 1/2 hrs of run sand run sand run sand run sand run sand you get the point.. we FINALLY got the boat absolutly spot on.. the things is awsome now.. one of the best ones i have seen.. but please please take in mind this was alot of work.. and we screwed up and had to fix it..

and when i mean we sanded it off. we are talking less than .045 off the very back edge of the ride surface.. SO IF you decide to do this.. i would suggest 400- 600 grit paper.. ALOT ot patience and someone else with you to help watch the boat.. because it is very easy to go to far real quick.

I hope i helped.. anything i can do to keep others from doing the same mistakes i did is a good thing

chris wood

Chris is Correct.. That area is Critical. But I never fixed a boat by cutting it down.... You may just have a Hull that has been mistreated. I have built a lot of 40 Seaducers.... Normally I want to look @ the bottoms. If it was Brand New??? Seaducer stands behind there work!!!! Drew is correct also. I have a lot of Seaducer boats that I personally own & race. Not a Single One has Any Extra Work done to the bottoms.... This boat will run tight up to 55 mph with all parts Bone stk & a spec set up...... You got to tweak them to get them to Fly Over 60 MPH......... includes the Motor, Pipe, Prop, & over all set up. Drew is trying to make the point. If the bottom is Not the Problem?? You must look other places to fine it what you are looking for..... Hope this helps get you Flying???????

Thanks fellas for all the reply and tips on how to get in going, I have tried a fair few different props including the x 447 and also a lot of strut adjustments i have just about worn the thread of the bolt. The only thing i have tried is the different rudder lengths, its just the seducer rudder on it set up as per there spec's. I relies a CMB ,MAC or picco motor would have more grunt but i do think the ops should work if i can get it set up right. It is a brand new hull so the bottom is stock. I just keep putting a straight edge on the bottom and thinking this thing will never sit up with that much hook in it, thats why i keep going back to it. I will give the rudder a tweak and see what happens. I have also been thinking of moving the tank and motor back a bit.

Troy

I am probably going to get slammed for this but here we go. Get rid of the boat it is made to cut corner very well. It was made for racing in the pack in race water and it dose this very well. But if you want to go fast and have fun it is not the boat to have. The hook in the boat makes it very specific to it original set up and takes lots of tweaking and testing to make it fast.

Do not mess with the bottom if it is a new boat you will never get it right again with out many hours of work and testing.

Would tell you what to buy but don't want to get into a boat fight. Just want to help. The seducer followers are very devout in there belief in the boat and rightly so it dose what it dose very well.

David

Troy

I am probably going to get slammed for this but here we go. Get rid of the boat it is made to cut corner very well. It was made for racing in the pack in race water and it dose this very well. But if you want to go fast and have fun it is not the boat to have. The hook in the boat makes it very specific to it original set up and takes lots of tweaking and testing to make it fast.

Do not mess with the bottom if it is a new boat you will never get it right again with out many hours of work and testing.

Would tell you what to buy but don't want to get into a boat fight. Just want to help. The seducer followers are very devout in there belief in the boat and rightly so it dose what it dose very well.

David
I agree with David. You would be better served selling the hull and getting a different one rather than trying to alter the bottom hook to fit your motor and desire for sport running.

If I was to make a recommendation for a good SPORT hull to fit your motor it would be the Delta Force 35... assuming that your motor/mount will fit between 4" rails. They are 2.5" shorter than your seaducer 40, and they are really fast hulls. They can be setup for NITRO or FE sport running. There are many other hulls out there that will fit the bill too.

Here is a pic of my boat. It sits up on the tail and flies. It was very easy to set up. Can make it run wet and tight with just a prop change and a strut adjustment.

David

Is that not your boat in the back ground Andy :eek: Sorry I just love this pic can not help my self. :rolleyes:

It is a little blurry going so fast ;)

Thanks to Mary Hellwig for the great pic. ;)

Latest posts

Back