Transmissions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkhedeos

i was just wondering why nobody has done this yet. works fine on cars, but cow come nobody uses them on boats?

Answer: Weight. The amount of weight added will far exceed any gearing advantage. Also more resistance(friction) on motor. Its the same reason you dont use a clutch or pull-start, it just slows you down. Its a cool thought, but will never work in competitive racing.

Larry Jr.

I understand for competeive racing it wouldnt help and I asked many people this at the meets I go to, but what if your only after straight line speed?

I was told most gearboxes only gear under 1:1, but surely you can get some to go over and this would greatly improve straight line speed, from what my little brain can figure out lol

I understand for competeive racing it wouldnt help and I asked many people this at the meets I go to, but what if your only after straight line speed?

I was told most gearboxes only gear under 1:1, but surely you can get some to go over and this would greatly improve straight line speed, from what my little brain can figure out lol
As I see it, the prop works as your transmission. the more pitch you add the farther you will move for each rpm, the less pitch would be like shifting to a lower gear. Steamer

I would love to see the look on your faces when you were in a boat or plane and went for another gear!

Gears have no choice but to respond,,props have no such responsibilities and tend to slip,, quite a bit,, Wooogah,wooogah :lol: :lol:

Not exactly the result you were looking for,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see a .1 rigger set up with a 2 speed like a car. I bet it would be awesome. Low gear to get off the beach and high after you get on plan. You could even set it up with a switch to change gears when you wanted it to..

I would love to see a .1 rigger set up with a 2 speed like a car. I bet it would be awesome. Low gear to get off the beach and high after you get on plan. You could even set it up with a switch to change gears when you wanted it to..

I would Love for You To See It,,

hrmm, thats kinda useless :lol: when we run boats, we usually never let go of the throttle anyways and the boat is always moving.

Single speed transmissions have been used successfully in fast electric racing boats for years. Several electric SAW records have been established using simple transmissions in overdrive ratios. The ability to change gear ratios can produce very high RPMs from a high torque/low rpm motor. It seems like they could be made to work with gas engines. Strong and reliable gears would be important.

I am working on a transmission that will replace the flywheel without adding much weight. Low gear will be less than 1:1,but top gear will be 1:1. The idea is to launch with a larger than normal prop. I may do a two-speed for my geared outboard too.

Back