Trailer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill and Mark, I've also been keeping an eye out for a popup camper. The only ones I've found so far appeared to be too precious to their owners. I will keep watching...

Wells Cargo makes a great little 4x6 that has torsion suspension.. The only down side is price...
Looks like they have a "value" brand, TC Trecker, that also has the torsion suspension that Don suggested. Interestingly, the TC Trecker 4x6 appears to be taller than the Wells 4x6.

Wells Cargo makes a great little 4x6 that has torsion suspension.. The only down side is price...
Looks like they have a "value" brand, TC Trecker, that also has the torsion suspension that Don suggested. Interestingly, the TC Trecker 4x6 appears to be taller than the Wells 4x6.

Wells Cargo 4x6 can be ordered in different heights and options like side doors. I agree with Don about torsion suspension. Now that I have a trailer I'm never going back to loading and unloading all my stuff every race. Much easer on the back and a cleaner car. I use a Subaru Outback to tow with and get 20 mpg +/- .............I use it for both my 1/8 scales and all my support gear. I think I will be able to fit my new Thunderboat also...

Marty

You can get a trailer from Harbor Freight and build it up the way that you want it or if you can get away with a tiny trailer, the motorcycle ones could be a way to go but pricier.

My new (to me) Marcury Mariner doesn't have a lot of room so I'm looking at car-top carriers as an option instead of pulling my trailer.

You can get a trailer from Harbor Freight and build it up the way that you want it or if you can get away with a tiny trailer, the motorcycle ones could be a way to go but pricier.My new (to me) Marcury Mariner doesn't have a lot of room so I'm looking at car-top carriers as an option instead of pulling my trailer.
Yup, that's a possibility too. I've seen some of the build threads on RCU. If I go that route I'd probably opt for one of the larger ones, 4x8, or maybe even 5x8 and build it with a top that opens. That way it wouldn't have to be so tall. We have a Northern Tool store locally so I may be able to save on shipping. The downside of these, that I've learned from this thread, is that they have leaf springs rather than the recommended torsion bar.

A car-top carrier is out for me, the Sebring is a convertible and putting one on top of the minivan would make things too high to be practical.

Marty's comment about not having to load and unload is also very well taken. In addition to leaving things like tables, chairs, and the E-ZUP in the trailer between races, it would be nice to be able to put the boats and tools in the trailer at the end of the race day rather than loading them into the minivan.

You can get a trailer from Harbor Freight and build it up the way that you want it or if you can get away with a tiny trailer, the motorcycle ones could be a way to go but pricier.My new (to me) Marcury Mariner doesn't have a lot of room so I'm looking at car-top carriers as an option instead of pulling my trailer.
Car top carriers will kill your gas mileage worse than a small trailer. Those cheap Harbor Freight style trailers will bounce like a buckboard, wouldn't recommend it. As far as a pop up tent trailer, unless you also plan to sleep in it, would you want to trust your expensive collection of boats to something that can be broken into with a razor knife? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Car top carriers will kill your gas mileage worse than a small trailer. Those cheap Harbor Freight style trailers will bounce like a buckboard, wouldn't recommend it. As far as a pop up tent trailer, unless you also plan to sleep in it, would you want to trust your expensive collection of boats to something that can be broken into with a razor knife? :eek:
What people do with the pop up trailers is gut them. The only thing left is the metal or fiberglass shell and the framework that allows you to lift the cover to standing height inside. This is actually an interesting option because it provides open shade, sorta like an E-ZUP.

After reviewing the towing specs on the car last night, I have to rule out the 5x8 trailers, they're too big. In particular, they would push the weight limit and there is text that says to not go over 20 square feet of frontal area. The last thing I want to do is blow up the transmission towing more than the car can handle. If I could be sure that the towing would always be with the van, that wouldn't be a problem, but considering the upward spiral of gas prices, I'm really trying to stay small. I've looked at the 4x6 listing you linked to, but I can't tell who made it. I may contact the seller to see what brand it is and what kind of suspension it's got. I've also been watching Craig's in other parts of NC...

Something you might consider is modifing a pop up tent trailer they are light and can hold pretty much stuff. I know some racers in Texas use one for the Internats.
OOPPS jsut saw Marks post he beat me to it.
My son & I have a 4 x 6 and we have it setup for 5 boats including gas & nitro. We bought it new from a reliable trailer dealer in NJ and he sold us the following additions to the basic trailer.

1) Spare tire mounted on the trailer bar.

2) a hard rubber floor covering that is impervious to rotting, oil or gas spills, etc. and can be washed out easily.

3) zerk fitted wheel bearings to grease wheel bearings easily.

4) 13" tires so car travels easily. We are towing it bewhind a small Honda CRV with no problem whatever.

5) we fitted the insides with closet maid wire shelves that are detachable and moveable so we can change configurations easily. These wire shelves permit us to tie down each boat with simple bungee cords so they don't bounce around.

6) A metal stone guard on the front to prevent denting the trailer from kicked up stones.

7) A kickup third wheel mounted on ther tongue so you can maneuver the trailer easily and don't have to rest the tongue on the ground. It alsd keeps the trailer lever while at a racesite

While everything is tight (we carry extrensive toolboxes, spare parts boxes, two foldup tables. folding chairs, an easy up and an ice chest.)

There is an advantage in that nothing bounces around.

We still get decent mileage even going 65 miles per hour on highways with no swaying or bouncing.

hope this info is of help

Trailer_005.jpg

Trailer_006.jpg

Here are some pics of my 6x4 Trailer - aluminium checker plate and galvanised chassis. It tows easily behind my Subaru Wagon.

I just got off the phone with the guy selling this trailer: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/705183448.html

It's made by Cargo Craft http://www.cargocraftinc.com . Seems like a good price and he says it's in good condition. The only downside I've seen so far is that it has leaf springs rather than a torsion axle. While I was searching last night I did happen across a kit that would allow installation of shocks on a leaf spring axle trailer http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm , but I have no idea if it would fit this trailer and how well they would do compared to a torsion axle.

I just got off the phone with the guy selling this trailer: <a href="http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/705183448.html" target="_blank">http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/705183448.html</a>
It's made by Cargo Craft <a href="http://www.cargocraftinc.com" target="_blank">http://www.cargocraftinc.com</a> . Seems like a good price and he says it's in good condition. The only downside I've seen so far is that it has leaf springs rather than a torsion axle. While I was searching last night I did happen across a kit that would allow installation of shocks on a leaf spring axle trailer <a href="http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm</a> , but I have no idea if it would fit this trailer and how well they would do compared to a torsion axle.
You could also look into having one leaf removed to soften the ride of the trailer, the spring rate is the issue, shocks won't do squat for that. Granted this will lower the max. weight capacity but it is for the boats so you that shouldn't be an issue. You should also contact your nearest trailer places (there's a bunch in NC) to inquire about upgrade trade ins and even torsion conversion. You could actually just cut the last bottom (shortest) leaf leaving just enough to make up the space between the axle & the leaf spring stack to reduce the spring rate. Anyone who is good with a set of torches can zip the ends off without damage to the next leaf. With a 1500GVW that's also not alot to start with. B)

What people do with the pop up trailers is gut them. The only thing left is the metal or fiberglass shell and the framework that allows you to lift the cover to standing height inside. This is actually an interesting option because it provides open shade, sorta like an E-ZUP.
I had one of them back in the 80s. Worked great till I hooked it up to my cutlas at 4 in the morning and forgot to latch it. It came un latched going down the hill and nearly passed me before going off the road and flipping end over end. Looked like a scene from the road runner. Good thing is that everything was packed so tight that nothing was hurt too bad. Hammered the tongue back out sorta straight and kept on going.

Back