THOR - FLAT BUILD / CORELOCK

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow......just read this thread ...how could I have missed it???

Carl, thats a very nice boat and design work you did there.

The first thing that came into my mind, I want one. But I have already a "few" tunnels and I can only drive one at a time......

Then about the the proto of the Taboo, the X3....I guess I missed that too although I was at the races......

Anyhow, keep the good work up Carl and thanks for showing it all.

Thanks Ronald. There is more coming. I just received the prototype Mod-VP Pods yesterday. They are laser cut too. They are designed to be interchangeable with the THOR and allow you to run the same boat in both the Mod-VP and well let's just call it the un-piped 3.5cc classes.

Maybe when people are not required to have a dedicated boat to run in Mod VP, it will get more people into running the class. I haven't had any suggestions about what pod designs works best so we are just shooting from the hip on these two new designs. I feel good about them. Maybe this will get people interested in playing around more with pod designs because you can change one out and put on a different one at the pond.

I will post some pictures of the pods later this week.

-Carl

This is the basic design that meets the minimum requirements according to the Mod-VP rules. It is shown without the center planking. The pod uses slot and tab construction and builds up fast. It can be run "as is" or it can be used as a base-line platform to be modified into different configurations. It is a removable design and offers a lot of test options to the Mod-VP class.

-Carl

Mod-VP 2.JPG

Carl, that is a slick looking pod. Just check to make sure that it remains at least as deep as the sponsons for 40% the length of the boat from the rear. The dedicated boat rule is in the rulebook and has been there a long time so I think we should not mess with that one. There is still a benefit to your design as someone could race the boat as a Mod-VP at one event and then a tunnel at another event. What you are going to find is that there are some set up changes that will have to be made when going from tunnel to Mod-VP. I look forward to more competition.

Thanks Mark.

The Pod does meet your 40% rule. I have had a lot of guys send in suggestions about pod design. I have seen what others are doing to deal with the added displacement and vertical surfaces the pod adds in the front as 40% can be quite an issue in the turns. The best part of the design is you can build up a couple of these that are a little different (but staying within the rules), swap them out to see what works best.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had some disagree with me but I believe any Mod-VP built to those rules will never turn as fast as a tunnel. The challenge is to carry speed through the turns. I am making changes to my boat to hopefully improve that. Turn fins are legal but I would rather see my boat work well without one. When you get it to the pond, be patient. It will not turn like a Lynx!

Mark,

The finished sponson length of the Thor is 28-1.4" long. When my pod is screwed into position it is even with or below the sponsons for 11-1/2 inches measured from the trailing edge of the pod. I am placing a straight edge across the sponsons to determine the "point of blend" forward of the trailing edge of the pod. Is this considered a legal MOD-VP entry?

I should be good down to 11.3 inches correct?

-Carl

Mark,

The finished sponson length of the Thor is 28-1.4" long. When my pod is screwed into position it is even with or below the sponsons for 11-1/2 inches measured from the trailing edge of the pod. I am placing a straight edge across the sponsons to determine the "point of blend" forward of the trailing edge of the pod. Is this considered a legal MOD-VP entry?

I should be good down to 11.3 inches correct?

-Carl
Carl,

If my math is correct, the minimum length of 40% for a 28.25" length hull would be 11.25". Just barely enough as long as someone does not shave off any of the length of the pod or the hull as well. Just for safe assurances may want to consider to give it a 12" length so there would not be any dispute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have but 2 things to say Carl ..........

How much ? and How soon can you sell me a Kit { No training wheels required }

I think you got it right ... + I am ready to build 1..............

Rick Reisinger

Rick is a smart man!!!!!....
default_smile.png

Back