This happened to you?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
john,, this is a common thing in all o/b engines,,,that is why it is common practice to check the cable evry time your done for the day and grease it well... looks to be under lubed and was binding to the point of failure... its a must to grease the cable and gear set constantly.... replace the flex and liner,,,grease well before every outing and you should be fine... if you inspect the cable every outing you will see if there is a issue with it coming apart,,at that point you replace it to be safe... i have very little to no shaft issues with a well lubed lower....

alden

i only broke 2 flexshafts in a season of racing with my B mod tunnel have to check that every heat or time you put it in the water

Anyone ever have this happen to their Thundertiger OB engine? The drive cable broke. :blink:
Are you able to get replacement cables John?
Ace hobby is sending a replacement. Also, thundertiger4u has them in stock. At least according to their web page.

Funny thing is when I called Ace Hobby and questioned them about it their response was, "We have never seen this before". :rolleyes:

Is there a better replacement cable? What kind of lube are others using? Lithium grease?

JAW

I use NAPA's Engine Assembly Grease shot in the right side of the lower with a chain saw grease pistol.

I shoot it between every run though. There are several full size O/B types of grease that work well. It just

has to be a low viscosity type so it will travel thru-out the drive system easily.

Pay attention to the flex quite often,, I use 3 shafts in rotation during a race so I can keep an eye on

them looking for the bulge that forms near the square ends. I've wadded up a shaft up in the plastic

guide one time during a race resulting in dismantalling 1/2 the o/b,, Not Fun.

Kris Flynn and the Lawless Man make TT shafts too even tho I haven't used either.

The latest TT shafts made by TT haven't been the best over the years, in fact their

the worst they have made.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have run the lawless shafts and do quite faithfully,,,, i like them alot... to this day have not had any break on me.... keep it lubed up as much as possible..... ;) ...im actually curious,,,,, did you clean that shaft up???? cause it looks like it was dry as a bone.... i know the boat was brand new as i followed your last thread..... did you pull the shaft and grease it before you ran it?????? did you grease the gear set???? those gears are your life line buddy,,,, you have to keep them up to par along with the flex...

alden

i have run the lawless shafts and do quite faithfully,,,, i like them alot... to this day have not had any break on me.... keep it lubed up as much as possible..... ;) ...im actually curious,,,,, did you clean that shaft up???? cause it looks like it was dry as a bone.... i know the boat was brand new as i followed your last thread..... did you pull the shaft and grease it before you ran it?????? did you grease the gear set???? those gears are your life line buddy,,,, you have to keep them up to par along with the flex...

alden
Thats good to know 'bout the lawless shafts, I bought several but gave most away to various boaters, still have a couple left.

The "brightness" of Johns flex in the pic got my attention too,, usually the latest shafts are black. Probably due to being a stock muffled engine where raw fuel dribbles down thru that hole in the bottom of the muffler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I cleaned the shaft when I pulled out of the motor. I did not lube it, but this happened after the 5th run. I will keep an eye on it in the future once I get the replacement shaft.

I also lubed the gears when I took it apart to remove the flex shaft. ;)

John

i knew you would catch that dubs,,,, that sucker is clean boy......

john,,, my friend,,, i can absolutely garantee that if you keep an eye on them after every run you will be fine... if you would like a lawless shaft,,,let me know,, i might have one i could sell as i had 10 and never broke 1....i have since sold a couple and gave a couple to friends so im unsure as to what i have left... let me know if you have issues getting them....james from oval express was selling them till he had to shut down cause of some clown burning him out of some big dough........

i want to point somthing out to you at this time..... if you look on the right side of the lower unit just under the cavitation plate,,, you will see a hole that is threaded and leads directly to your gear set... if this hole remains open and you run it,,,water enters the hole and washes the flex and gear set.... this very well could be your issue to,,,its just washing the grease/oil off the cable... i use a very short,,,,and make sure its short,, i cant stress that enough,,,, use a small o ring or rubber gasket under the screw and snug it in that hole... it will keep alot of the water out of the lower....this is just how i run them....

alden

Back