THE Tommy Lee at work...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Darin. Maybe mount a nitro engine and see where your times are. If you get those times with a nitro tunnel, you will have my attention. Yes the legends you mentioned, including Carl Van Houten, accomplished feats we are all still shooting for 25 years later LOL. I have played around with FE, but at no where near the level of where you or some here on the east coast have, such as Mic/Jay Halbrehder, Gabe Clegg, Chris Harris, or Doug Smock, just to name a few. The instant power with FE is astounding for sure and there is more to see as others venture into this arena. I watched Jay's FE tunnel run open tunnel last year, and the "instant on" power is incredible. When he pulled the trigger, he shot by the nitro tunnels like they were sitting still. Having crazy power at the immediate pull of the trigger, unlimited power choices, less weight on the transom, no varying weight due to fuel draw (unless you put the tank on the CG), and having the battery weight to use to your advantage to move around as needed, all make FE a different animal than nitro. Harris went about 140 with his FE Hydro. Crazy numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Darin. Maybe mount a nitro engine and see where your times are. If you get those times with a nitro tunnel, you will have my attention. Yes the legends you mentioned, including Carl Van Houten, accomplished feats we are all still shooting for 25 years later LOL. I have played around with FE, but at no where near the level of where you or some here on the east coast have, such as Mic/Jay Halbrehder, Gabe Clegg, Chris Harris, or Doug Smock, just to name a few. The instant power with FE is astounding for sure and there is more to see as others venture into this arena. I watched Jay's FE tunnel run open tunnel last year, and the "instant on" power is incredible. When he pulled the trigger, he shot by the nitro tunnels like they were sitting still. Having crazy power at the immediate pull of the trigger, unlimited power choices, less weight on the transom, no varying weight due to fuel draw (unless you put the tank on the CG), and having the battery weight to use to your advantage to move around as needed, all make FE a different animal than nitro. Harris went about 140 with his FE Hydro. Crazy numbers.
I remember one nitro tunnel that Jay didn't shoot by like it was sitting still at the Tunnel Champs. Pretty sure it was a 7.5 Shaman with a Nelson hanging off the back of it. The 6-lap head to head nitro vs. FE grudge match was literally neck and neck and one for the books. Probably THE best race I've been a part of with nitro taking the win coming out of the last corner. I remember Mic walking away grumbling something about needing a bigger battery
default_laugh.png
(let the smack talk begin fellas, the Tunnel Champs are just around the corner
default_wink.png
) FE is certainly cool, but nitro isn't dead yet. Too bad I grenaded that motor in Huntsville before I had a shot at Tommy's record. 70 and 80+ is definitely achievable from a nitro tunnel but it's going to take some finesse and a lot of R&D. We have a few projects in the works so hopefully looking to hit that milestone by years end. Would love some input here from Jimmy Johnson as he's had the baddest outboard tunnel I've ever seen with his own design Aftershock tunnel. For those of you who haven't seen the video, check out what an 80+ mph 40 tunnel pass looks and sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGoChpP1rjI

OK JR. I remember that race. You did a great Job driving and yes you had one heck of a fast tunnel. I think a lot of us will be talking about that race for sometime to come lol. Nitro is not dead by any stretch....
default_smile.png
The nitro only race in Florida proved that.

I'm not sure why anyone would suggest that "nitro is dead"?? I certainly didn't suggest that. That's why I mentioned MODERN Nitro systems. The modern motors are definitely more powerful.

Strap one on and let's get to it!

No turn fin this time, though...
default_wink.png

No matter WHAT you power the boat with, there is no denying

heat racing =

50% LUCK (being conservative here)

25% Skill

25% what others do

Time trials and SAW =

100% Skill

I made an 80mph pass with Tommys SAW tunnel with a "one off" OPS 80 outboard. The boat blew over just after passing thru the traps. The boat landed on the pipe, smashing it beyond repair.

I'm not sure why anyone would suggest that "nitro is dead"?? I certainly didn't suggest that. That's why I mentioned MODERN Nitro systems. The modern motors are definitely more powerful.

default_wink.png
Lol. I'm already thinking exactly what you're thinking Darin. I have that boat with the turn fin and was thinking about strapping a Nova on it and see what it would do. I'm going to reach out to Tommy for his help so we can keep his name on the record.

default_wink.png
Lol. I'm already thinking exactly what you're thinking Darin. I have that boat with the turn fin and was thinking about strapping a Nova on it and see what it would do. I'm going to reach out to Tommy for his help so we can keep his name on the record.
well Quit flapping your gums (or fingers in this case) AND GET TO IT!!!

Would love to see you hang to the pins for 2 laps
default_biggrin.png

I know Kris. Hopefully we can have an oval course setup later this year when we do SAWS in VA. I will work on this project some this summer and post some pictures.

default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
Kris,

Dad said speaking of flapping your gums, when are you going to bring some of that koala power back stateside? Lol.

And Bob, if you're building a 40" boat, what are the thoughts on adapting the new Nova .90 for outboard use and/or Ron is that a possibility that Nova might pursue? All this talk of 80, I'd love to see someone give 100 a go.

Kris or Ron or ??? Was this that 23.1 -second Record??
Yes Darin. Nitro, not FE, and with a K&B lol. Only Tommy could accomplish that feat.
I'm sure! That's why that time has stood for so long.

Would be interesting to see how a modern Nitro power system would do. I can't give the FE system the entire credit for the laps I turned. That Lynx was on RAILS! I literally never lifted. Turned the timing up 5-degrees for a little more power for 2-attempts, and the times dropped to a "meager" 24.1 seconds. The boat was about 3-4mph faster in the straights, and was pushing/flying the nose entering the turn, so I had to "drive" it with more on/off throttle than I'm used to. Probably could have figured it out, but it wasn't the fastest way around the course.

Backed timing back down to "normal" timing (7-degrees) and just drove the boat instead and hit my marks (well, almost hit my marks) and that's when the 22.7 happened. And this is all with my standard heat-racing setup. I didn't change a thing from my P-LTD setup. Likely more there. Would be interesting to try it with a boat designed to use a turn fin. Then the FE power might really come into play.

You guys are very lucky to know, in person, these legends and racers that many of us look up to, like Tommy Lee and Rod Geraghty, etc. Hopefully one day I can meet them too. Would be an honor.
Darin,I feel very lucky to have been able to race with Tommy Lee, Carl Van Houten, Karl Sturm, Terry Moore, Bob Davis, Jose Ortiz (yes he used to run tunnels), and many others back in the day. Here is a pic I came across the other day at a race I attended with Mike. I won two tunnel classes, and came in second in one tunnel classes at this race in TN, (you didnt win many against Tommy), and you can see him smiling in the background. He was always the gentleman, and happy to help you anyway he could.

default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
Kris,

Dad said speaking of flapping your gums, when are you going to bring some of that koala power back stateside? Lol.

And Bob, if you're building a 40" boat, what are the thoughts on adapting the new Nova .90 for outboard use and/or Ron is that a possibility that Nova might pursue? All this talk of 80, I'd love to see someone give 100 a go.
Jr it will be me with my new hornet ! LOL

I have Rod's K&B 11cc and a new pipe, as well as the prop that Andy Brown made. Andy said that the prop went 97mph on his sport 40. He said I should get 90mpj or more on a tunnel. Ron Shaw and I have talked about putting my motor/ pipe/ prop combo on Tommy's SAW boat. As for as the Novarossi .91, I don't know if or when it will happen, but I plan to have my Novarossi .67 outboard ready for Charleston.

Tommy stopped by today to visit during our records trial today and was commenting on David Hall's new design JAE style FE tunnel Hull.
Dont leave us hanging Zuber. What did he think about the black stealth tunnel???? It looks cool for sure.
Ron, Tommy suggested some changes for David to make and he is listening to Tommy the King Tunnel MAN! Changes will becoming most likely at our July records trial. Should be interesting in July.

Awesome news BILL thank you for sharing. Keep us updated. That is one wicked looking Tunnel for sure.

Yep we all was setting around talking about old times and new times. David, Doc, Bill, myself, and Tommy. He made a statement about the tunnel and I said to David that you have just been schooled by the master. And when Tommy said that I look to David and said that I understand completely on what he is talking about. It was like a light bulb went off. So did David.

Back