Taps

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUNLBOTR

July 2, 2013.

Taps.

Here I am, surrounded by many family members. The flag has been folded. Its a beautiful morning in Arlington,Va.

Then they play Taps.

Its been a long year since the phone call.We all knew dad wasn't feeling well. Doctors don't have to guess, its official.

cancer.

No matter how much you think you can handle it, it shows on your face. A year ago I thought I had the tiger by the tail. Opportunity to build some neat stuff, a woman who loves me, it was all too good.

Second opinion says it is aggressive.

By labor day it was official, stage IV prostate cancer. In an attempt to fight it off, chemo was ordered and agreed to in New York.I left to be by his side, knowing that the doctors didn't give him long, but were going to try and slow it down.

Family comes first, I dont't give a tinkers **** who you are.Returned 2 weeks later, knowing all the facts.Mel asked me to remember him as he used to be, not what he had become.Deirdre and I had planned to wait until he was better and get married when he got back to florida, but time got in the way.

October 17, I celebrated my 50th birthday, and got married Oct. 20 in a very private ceremony, without dad there.He was in great pain, it had spread to his bladder and spine.Chemo ravaged his good parts, and several surgerys to stop internal bleeding followed.

Nov.13. by then he was in Nashville TN with my brother and wife and family there, and we celebrated his 90th birthday. He was very frail, couldn't eat.

I returned to Nashville for Thanksgiving, and arrived just after the ambulance rushed him to the hospital.Pneumonia. Turkey day we got him a blood transfusion, and stayed bedside.

Dec.8

He had been back at the house 2 days.They called hospice, and tryed to ease the pain with Morphine. He watched the Army Navy game, and went to sleep , after Navy won.

The morning of the 9th, my phone rang.

July 2, 2013.

Taps.

Melvin Charles Premo, loving husband and father, was finally laid to rest. We waited because my stepmom, in caring for him, had fractured two vertebrae lifting him out of the bed in New York, and she wanted to be able to walk, not be bound in a wheelchair.

A Navy Veteran of 32 years, he enlisted in 1942 as a Seaman's Apprentice, and headed to the South Pacific. He retired in 1971 as Commancer of VP45, the P3 Orion Sub-chaser squadron based out of NAS Jax.A Mustang. did it the hard way.

I held his ashes, carried him up the walk to his final resting place, and placed him beside mom, who entered Arlington in 1999.

Sometimes life gets in the way, as does death.

To the people I told, thanks for putting up with what I was, a train wreck.

Julian, who talked to me while I was In TN with him.

Mike Zaborowski, thanks for your kindness.

Bill Gibson, the rockets Mike sent helped to let me get away from it.The Hug and compassion are always with me.

Tom Foley, thanks for listening, and caring about me.

Ron Shaw, you're aces bud.

Ron Drake, thanks for the kind words at christmas, just couldn't talk though.

Drew,

You put up with a lot of tears from me, and I am forever indebted to you and Georganna for the kindness.

The races I missed, time on here I missed, just didn't want to talk to or be around anyone. The people close know that about me. To the rest of you, I now am trying to get back to where I was.dad arlington.jpgpics 81011 022.jpg

July 2, 2013.

Taps.

Here I am, surrounded by many family members. The flag has been folded. Its a beautiful morning in Arlington,Va.

Then they play Taps.

Its been a long year since the phone call.We all knew dad wasn't feeling well. Doctors don't have to guess, its official.

cancer.

No matter how much you think you can handle it, it shows on your face. A year ago I thought I had the tiger by the tail. Opportunity to build some neat stuff, a woman who loves me, it was all too good.

Second opinion says it is aggressive.

By labor day it was official, stage IV prostate cancer. In an attempt to fight it off, chemo was ordered and agreed to in New York.I left to be by his side, knowing that the doctors didn't give him long, but were going to try and slow it down.

Family comes first, I dont't give a tinkers **** who you are.Returned 2 weeks later, knowing all the facts.Mel asked me to remember him as he used to be, not what he had become.Deirdre and I had planned to wait until he was better and get married when he got back to florida, but time got in the way.

October 17, I celebrated my 50th birthday, and got married Oct. 20 in a very private ceremony, without dad there.He was in great pain, it had spread to his bladder and spine.Chemo ravaged his good parts, and several surgerys to stop internal bleeding followed.

Nov.13. by then he was in Nashville TN with my brother and wife and family there, and we celebrated his 90th birthday. He was very frail, couldn't eat.

I returned to Nashville for Thanksgiving, and arrived just after the ambulance rushed him to the hospital.Pneumonia. Turkey day we got him a blood transfusion, and stayed bedside.

Dec.8

He had been back at the house 2 days.They called hospice, and tryed to ease the pain with Morphine. He watched the Army Navy game, and went to sleep , after Navy won.

The morning of the 9th, my phone rang.

July 2, 2013.

Taps.

Melvin Charles Premo, loving husband and father, was finally laid to rest. We waited because my stepmom, in caring for him, had fractured two vertebrae lifting him out of the bed in New York, and she wanted to be able to walk, not be bound in a wheelchair.

A Navy Veteran of 32 years, he enlisted in 1942 as a Seaman's Apprentice, and headed to the South Pacific. He retired in 1971 as Commancer of VP45, the P3 Orion Sub-chaser squadron based out of NAS Jax.A Mustang. did it the hard way.

I held his ashes, carried him up the walk to his final resting place, and placed him beside mom, who entered Arlington in 1999.

Sometimes life gets in the way, as does death.

To the people I told, thanks for putting up with what I was, a train wreck.

Julian, who talked to me while I was In TN with him.

Mike Zaborowski, thanks for your kindness.

Bill Gibson, the rockets Mike sent helped to let me get away from it.The Hug and compassion are always with me.

Tom Foley, thanks for listening, and caring about me.

Ron Shaw, you're aces bud.

Ron Drake, thanks for the kind words at christmas, just couldn't talk though.

Drew,

You put up with a lot of tears from me, and I am forever indebted to you and Georganna for the kindness.

The races I missed, time on here I missed, just didn't want to talk to or be around anyone. The people close know that about me. To the rest of you, I now am trying to get back to where I was.View attachment 49462View attachment 49463
Randy My brother. Thats a Wonderful tribute to your dad a Navy Combat Veteran who served proudly for 32 years in service to this great country. I am forever Thankful for your dad serving his country and may he rest in peace. He now joins all the other great heroes in the heavens past and present. Randy no matter how hard life gets im here for you as a friend and a brother. im sorry for your loss and my sincere condolences to you and your family.

SGT Julian J. Conde

US. Army

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy that was awesome shows deep down how much you loved your dad i am always here for you also phone call away Robert

I feel your pain Randy, walked in those shoes in 2010 when I lost my dad to cancer, the year I turned 50 as well.

Stay strong my friend, hold your head high and be proud of the job your dad did raising you.

I think about my dad all the time and miss him dearly, it still hurts and always will...............

Randy, Were always here for you. Sounds like you have perspective with all you have been through. Look forward to better days and hope we see you before too long. Mic

Great tribute to your dad. I too lost mine to cancer in 2004, he was a WWII Army vet. You have a lot to be proud of in your dad, I for one know he raised a good man in you. We've talked over the past year and I could always see your pain and struggle and I hope some of that has subsided for you. I found it harder to see my dad in pain and to know I would have to live without him than I did letting him go to ease his.

I certainly shed some tears reading this and I know how hard it was for you to write. Never forget we love you and Dee and will always be here for you.

Very nice Randy, your father would have been proud, what a great tribute. I'm also glad to see you showing your face here again.

I love ya like a brother and you know Georganna and I are here for you anytime.

Good friend used to say, friends dont do because they have to, they do because they want to. B)

Now lets go runs some **** boats-Im off monday, lake -X ? :rolleyes:

My mother-in-law passed away September 15, 2012 at the age of 97. I was with her the day before and we talked and laughed and had a good time.

The only way she and my wife could communicate was by text messaging because without her Cochlear Implant she was stone deaf. About 5:00 PM Saturday afternoon my wife came and told me she had sent her mom 3 text messages and had not heard back and she was going down there. My mother-in-law only lived about 6 miles from us. I had a real uneasy feeling and I told her I'm going with you. When we got there I went in first, and I found her on the floor in front of her TV.

She was gone. The coroner's investigator said she had probably passed away around noon that day.

We had her creamated and Friday June 28, we had her ashes intered with my father-in-law, her husband of 68 years.

I wanted to do something special for the family so I made a plaque to go on the box her ashes went down in.

Here it is.

PLAQUE.jpg

We've missed having you at races premo, such a touching tribute to your dad aswell. He is a better place now, and may you cherish every moment you spent with him in good times.

Great to have you back buddy,

Mitch, tony, Jr., and Brandon

wow,,,God Bless you Randy! Just sitting here crying..at a loss for words..I have walked in your shoes and you poured your heart out in your words. Love and miss you at our races!

Randy, i lost my dad to cancer in '71. treatment was not an option back then. he was also a ww2 vet, merchant marine running convoys in the n. atlantic. when you come to arlington, call me. i go there to visit my biirth father. he was shot down over korea. it's about 70 miles from home. place to stay for you guys too.........

WOW I to am speechless,hardly a day goes by that I dont think of Mom or Dad. Dad died when I was 16 he was 73.Now im 56 and he would be 113 I will never forget him. Cherish all your memories and never let them go........Mikey

Randy, you already know what i know.....my Father, Mother, and only brother are all resting peacefully in Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas......The words are so hard to come by.....a wonderful tribute to a good man. Be at peace with the fact that he is no longer in pain, always easy to say, hard to do. you are in our thoughts and hearts, Love, J&B

Randy, my brother, I know how your feel as I have walked in your shoes more than once. I lost my father in December 1988 to heart disease and 5 months later, in May 1989, my mother to cancer. They were only 63 and both gone in 5 months. And in January 2005, lost my sister to a diabetic heart attack, she was only 51, and her birthday was yesterday. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about each of them and how much we all miss them. You never get over it, just have to find a way to live with it. It is not easy either. You know how to get in touch with me, we can talk and cry together. Love you dude and see you soon.

John

Back