Sport Hydro Options

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In NAMBA the Mutt II has held the SAW record of 81+ mph as well as the two lap record for a very long time. Eric Bourlet, Kim Grimm, Chris Witrig, and others have won the NAMBA Nationals with that hull many times.

Lohring Miller
Brian Schymik runs the mutt hull for many years and won multiple races and national events in IMPBA but unable to attend this event

Alan,
You are correct. The molds were damaged. Thou I still believe I could get a useable part from them. It would require work. They are not good for producing boats. At the time the Mutt was produced, I believe Mark made about 8-10 ish 3 piece Mutt2. Those were the precursor to that all glass boat you are all referring to. I still race mine. The all glass boat came about because the 3 piece boat were too time consuming to build. I still only think maybe 10 were sold from Mark. Brian Buuas built some for a while. I think around 5. So they are very rare. There are several other Mutt2 looking boats floating around. These were built by Russ Nachtweih and Kelly Gruol using the sponson molds from the 3 piece boat. Those molds are in my garage atm. Mark got out of boats years ago and went pylon racing. That is why not a lot were produced. Building one is fun. Two to three, the monies are good. four to five it seems like work. Six and on, you have a second job. Yucky. He has since returned to race with us. He now is building a very nice gas rigger for sale. They are limited production. Basically its to fuel the bank roll so we can go travelling to out of town races.

Sadly, it basically all comes down to a shrinking customer base. Who wants to spend that time to produce a boat that you will never break even on. I know since I made the same decision with the snake sp20. Awesome boat but nitro is dyeing. I just support the people that own them at this point.
Mike

Mike pretty much nailed it on my boat. To be honest, I have not even looked at the molds since I got them back from Brian. I have the plug and could make new molds, but with the shrinking market and my lack of interest in persuing a dying class, it does not make sense. Back in the day, we would get 15 sport 40s at a district race and 25-30 at the Nats, Now if there is 10 at the Nats, its a big turnout. Next project will be a Gas sport hydro. We have a winning out rigger design as Mike mentioned.

Mike pretty much nailed it on my boat. To be honest, I have not even looked at the molds since I got them back from Brian. I have the plug and could make new molds, but with the shrinking market and my lack of interest in persuing a dying class, it does not make sense. Back in the day, we would get 15 sport 40s at a district race and 25-30 at the Nats, Now if there is 10 at the Nats, its a big turnout. Next project will be a Gas sport hydro. We have a winning out rigger design as Mike mentioned.
I dunno guys, I think Phil Thomas is still building and selling quit a few boats.
Availability I feel drives sales.
Yes, nitro is gasping for air, but there are a few out here that still enjoy the class.
The old saying. Build it and they will come.

I think a lot of the classes depends on your area. In D14 at the Huber race we have 15 or so Sport 40’s signed up. Evansville usually gets about 18 or more for there races. In D14 there’s plenty of Sport 40’s. Even converting some over to electric.

Back