sport 40, whip or phil thomas hull ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeKautz

Need opinions on the pros and cons of each hull. Would be running eventually in dist 19. Kit differences. Or other good hulls.

Whats your personal preference? If you like glass hulls, go with the PT, If you prefer wood go with the Whip.

What ^^^^^^^ said.

That being said, the Whiplash isn't a hard build, just takes lots of clamps and a sander.

tn_IMG_3940.JPGtn_IMG_3939.JPG

I have a PT, my frist inboard, has a 40 os tops around 55. Handles great lots of fun to drive

Both are great boats.....Brians kits are an absolute pleasure to build.....ive got a PT sport 40.. VERY easy to put together and runs GREAT right off the board IF you follow his instructions to the letter!

View attachment 13708View attachment 13710

I have a PT, my frist inboard, has a 40 os tops around 55. Handles great lots of fun to drive
Nice looking boat cuda New inboard racer and has it going 55, not too bad.

My boat is epoxy wont stress crack easily. You do have to prime and paint like a wood hull but you get the design and color you want not just one color of gelcoat.

We have had a good setup for the SuperSport45 for a long time and the 08 hull is even better than the original.

View attachment 13708View attachment 13710

Nice looking boat cuda New inboard racer and has it going 55, not too bad.

My boat is epoxy wont stress crack easily. You do have to prime and paint like a wood hull but you get the design and color you want not just one color of gelcoat.

We have had a good setup for the SuperSport45 for a long time and the 08 hull is even better than the original.
Phil,

What makes the 08 hull better than the original? I have had one of your Sport 40 hulls for several years now. Love it!

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil,

What makes the 08 hull better than the original? I have had one of your Sport 40 hulls for several years now. Love it!

David

There was a problem with the Namba rule for belly pan depth and the boat was modded to meet the rule.

The tunnels on each side of the belly pan were lowered, this gave the bottom less angle of attack and less lift. We could setup the boat strut shallower and flatter, allowing the boat to run looser without blowing off easily. Everyone that modded or bought a 08 hull likes the change.

i just finished a wood whiplash build and i must say the boat is smoking fast nothing against the PT 40 but i speak on what i know i never owned a PT i know the run really good when set up properly but that wood whiplash has me thinking of building another one. MY 2 Cents

Nothing against the whip, just no time for building. Actually thinking of a gas whip sometime in the future.

Mike

I see it as a choice of time, money, and personal preference. Both are proven designs and either would be a good choice. Being made of glass, Phil's boat will get you on the water faster. Mine is fast, handles great and I've had great success with it. I also think there may be less maintenance long term with a glass hull. OTOH, if you like the look of wood, enjoy building with wood, and/or want to save some money, the Whiplash is also a good choice.

I went with the PT, for one is build time, and two it seems like a real sucessful hull design. When I talked with Phil he was real easy to talk with and real helpful with his knowledge and set-up. Im sure both hulls are really great performers. I have an ad looking for a mac, picco or cmb in the for sale section. Ill post more on the build as things start to come together.

Front radio box or rear? Build the boat by the book and you will be very pleased with the performance...They look pretty cool too!

Latest posts

Back