Sport 20 Hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Schneider

<_< Great class and quite popular here in NAMBA 9. We have had many inquires about starting this class in other areas. Do you run the class? Wish too? What are your feelings about it. :unsure: Thanks. Scott

PS. The hulls built by Bob Tuttle are the most popular with some scratch builts. 6 to 10 boats per event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Scott

Here in Impba D4 (WI, IL, and MO) we run the class at every event. Id's say about two years back we hit the peak with about 6 boats per event. This year...not so good of a showing. We have quite a variety of hulls, dumas pay n pak kits with stock cowls, pay n pak's with custom cowls, scratch builds, round noses, and even a dumad drag'n fly (that hauls, by the way...). The boats are out there, many of the D4 drivers have one, but opt to run their other boats for most of the season.

Phil Thomas is introducing a sport 20 now, and I guess Bob Tuttle is making one also, so I am willing to bet the class will boom around here when Phil's boats become available.

D4 also had what was known as a "scale twenty society" Mike Zaborowski and Bill Coleman lead the charge, with the intent of .20 size unlimiteds. We (D4) has since renamed the class in our area to "sport 20" adopting sport 40 rules. I am unsure of the status of the "society", maybe Mike can chime in here and help fill in some blanks from the Midwest...

Garrett Randall

Now that we have this forum and this topic, I'll repost my earlier query about Sport 20 hydro hull size.

Hi guys

One of my planned projects this winter is to design a new "Q" Sport Hydro (18 cells). While talking to Tom Moorehouse on the phone recently, he suggested that since the Sport 20 class was similarly sized that I should do one of them as well. I thought about this for a while and begun to wonder if it would be possible to do a dual-purpose design for both classes. I think that would be a cool idea.

So here I am asking for anyone's advice on what constitutes an optimum size for a Sport 20 hull.

Thanks in advance.

Ok the boat i have is 29 3/4 long 15 wide. tunnel 8 wide. was amming at 30 inches but lost 1/4 somewhere.

Phil Thomas

Could you guys with nicknames sign with your real name till i get to know who you are, unless you really are in the witness protection program if so I can understand that you cant use your real name LOL

our local club is going to have 7 or 8 sport 20 this season including my dads and mine if i can find an engine.

Joel Hanson

O YEA..Sport 20 ROCKS...

I will be delivering two Pro Built 20 boats to there owners this weekend at the DIST 4 meeting. As it is there are 2 more on my bench and one that is being built in Kenosha..

That is five more to our district next year...WE HE

Big B is going to be making some updates to his and of Course Squeaky is got a killer one off mod Pay-pak that will knock you socks off..this thing KILLER..hehe

Can you say CHOPPED AND CHANNELD... Just right...

that is 6 more and one redo...altogether...

Motley Crew just hit the Radio. .shout..shout..shout....I must head bang…..later

ROCK ON

Grimracer

[SIZE=14pt]Scott, after watching the first 4 races and seeing what a blast that class was I had to get a Sport 20. I bought Roy's old T-4 replica. I love that boat. I can't wait to race Sport 20 next season. I had Phil put me on his wait list (Phil per your request I'm Rodney G). I'll probably put a CMB greenhead or another Nova Rossi in it.[/SIZE]

When I got Roy's boat it was pretty well used and has since started to explode, slowly breaking apart, he's gonna build me a new one this winter. Hopefully GTR will get to work on his Pay-n-Pak, hint hint!

[SIZE=14pt]Grim, Shout, Shout, Shout....man I was about to bust out laughing until I saw that third "SHOUT", take one away and add...."let it all out" and you have chick Rock! LOL Wasn't that Tears for Fear?[/SIZE]

Any how as for Bob Tuttle's Sport 20 man they go smooth along the water, definitely worth racing!

O MY GOD. your right..

Hea im a child of the 70s/80s and so i might sneak in a little tears from time to......what the heck am I saying.. :blink:

Brain Burn time

Megadeath

Metalica

Motley

G-n-R

Tears for Fears

Men without Hats

Culture club..... :blink:

Help...im olddddddddddd

Grimracer

Hey wat ya say sonny? :blink:

Jimi Hendrix

Led Zep

Deep Purple

Iron Butterfly

Kooper&Bloomfield

Cream

:lol: Think I got here before dirt!!!!!!!

FOF- Thats "fast old fart".............

Gene :p

Hello Guys,

Man, at this rate I "may" be running a slimer after all. So clue me in on what the rules for the sport 20 would be, stuff like minimum boat length, engine size and drive line would be real helpful.

Paul.

Paul

See you at the Dist Meeting... i will bring rules with me..(i hope i do not forget) You will be there RIGHT? :p HEH

Otherwise i can e-mail you a set.

RC..

O yea the chicks did it...lol Love the avatar...

Grim :D

Paul

You are welcome as a member of IMPBA (i think you are one) to attend the Dist. 4 counciel meeting this sat at Saras place on Route 6 off 55.

Let me know if you understand

Also go to www.impba4.com to learn more.. top of the main page.

Grim

Hey guys, Back to the sport 20 boats. A great class. I build an epoxy sport 21 hull that has worked well. I have built 20 wood boats over the last 5 or so years now , and with the help of a fine racer, have a highly competive hull. I'm in the process of changes to the hull to make it even better. I won't have anything available until after newyears, but it should be well worth the wait. My son built me a web page with some info about the boat. That address is : geocities.com/rhtmarine276/

Also check out : fibreglast.com "project of the month" B)

:D Bobby, Welcome Bud! Here is the man that has put sport 20 on the map in NAMBA 9. Builds a awsom boat of which I have purchased 3 of that 20 wood ones he has built.

F.Y.I. One of Bobs boats set and held the NAMBA National record for 6 lap 1 mile in 2002 and his hulls have won the Sport 21 class for the last 5 years in district 9.

A very nice hull that has been built by a racer for racers !! Check it out !! Scott

I am getting excited on the class my self, My new boat that took me two years to compleat ( sence I have had too much to do to get to it) is showing good progress. I kinda have built a Smokin Joes Sport 20 the cowl is correct, no rear winglets. I have ran it three times this winter and have the speed up to a fair pace. I also Have a 32 inch shovel in the process. My first attempt the 30 inch War Eagle (Lobester Boat) was too light for the class and I turned it in to a electric boat and it won the Q/S Sport hydro at the 2003 NAMBA Nationals and set the SAW speed record at 64.47 MPH this year.

Guest said:
I am getting excited about the class my self, My new boat that took me two years to compleat ( sence I have had too much to do to get to it) is showing good progress. I kinda have built a Smokin Joes Sport 20 the cowl is correct, no rear winglets. I have ran it three times this winter and have the speed up to a fair pace. I also Have a 32 inch shovel in the process. My first attempt the 30 inch War Eagle (Lobester Boat) was too light for the class and I turned it in to a electric boat and it won the Q/S Sport hydro at the 2003 NAMBA Nationals and set the SAW speed record at 64.47 MPH this year.
Sorry I thought I was loged in. I wrote this.

One thing I did not say to Paul and Doug is that the best Sport 20 hulls are in the 30 inch range and the best Q sport Hydro hulls are in the 30 inch range

BBY Randy

Back