Speed Secret

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin_R_Clark

As I am re-doing some of my tanks I was wondering. Years ago in Drag Racing when Big Daddy was smoking the competion he had a simple secret. His fuel line from the tank to the pump was bigger than anybody else`s. True Story. Has anybody experimented with this on our motors? Just wondering?

Hi Kevin,

I use a 3/32" tubing for my Mod 21 motors. If not, they will lean out at WOT. No doubt there's alot of fact in what you've stated. Also, on previous SAW setups I've removed friction in the fuel line caused by the fuel filter to increase flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Old Man" had a ton of tricks up his sleeve through the years. The larger fuel line thing came up when he found out that the motors were going lean at the top end because they couldn't pump enough fuel through the small lines. He was the first to use port nozzles to by-pass the blower partially and spray some fuel right into the manifold. By running it under the intake above the cam, it wasn't easily seen unless you knew what to look for!

One of my favorites was by I think Kenny Bernstein. They put a Holiday Inn towel over the gas pedal like they had a big secret there. While all the racers were wondering what was going on down there, they had moved the rear wing higher up and back for more downforce in the cleaner air!

On My Mac and CMB I had to run the biggest fuel line i could get.

As it would lean way down, would run run run, and then when out of gas, plug was shot. Took several R5s to finially figure this one out.

Once i did, they all got large fuel lines.

Tom

Ron that TOWEL TRICK was Crew Chief Lee Beard . The Driver the late GARY ORMSBY. ALL OF BIG`S TRICKS ARE IN OCALLA FL. 1 OF THE FINEST MUSEUMS YOU EVER SEE.

Hi Guys!

It's true that the gear driven fuel pump on most blown, multi port fuel injected drag racing motors use a fuel line from tank to pump on the order of 1 1/2"............and the pumps they use will put out an unbelieveable volume(a lot of that volume is returned to the tank via a relief valve)................Short lines and long radius bends are critical too. I don't know about lil boat nitro set-ups, but cavitation and fuelfoaming inside the lines was a big concern running blown alcohol motors for drag racing..........But thats talking about passing 4 gallons in 8 secndsor less

Bob the Fool :blink:

Ever notice the differance in a McDonolds straw and a regular straw? The quicker you can get it down the more drinks they sell.

haha, taht is true 7 elevens slurpee straws are alot bigger than school straws. and the 3 dollar tapioca drink straws are jumbo. they are like 1/2 inch diameter

Last edited by a moderator:
Back