spectrum vs futaba and wich one do u perfer and why

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol....thanks guys ill buy a couple marine reciver dont want to crash to new boats i built.....better to be safe instead of crashing almost 700 in new boats...

but another ? wouldnt the reciver go in to failsafe mode if signals lost from the tx tho or would she runn wot?
Don't take this the wrong way but there is no way I would ever. Ever. Ever. Did I say ever ? EVER trust anything that spectrum has

I have seen car guys have problems. Boat guys have problems. Not a chance

I just plunked down 800 bucks for the new 4px

Was it spendy damb right. But I don't want to do something half a$$ed and for all the hard work and time put into these pcs of plywood and fiberglass why would anyone trust something that is KNOWN TO HAVE ISSUES ?

Look at it this way. If futaba can be the supplier for radio controlled devices for the government. I would guess our stuff is going to be just fine

But what does a washed up has been know[emoji12]
+1
default_wink.png

To those that did or are not making the switch to 2.4... Its not about the conflicts at a race anymore.. Its about messy air and the encroachment of those old frqs.

The bad news is soon or someday you will “Have” to change.. the good news is good 2.4 systems are not all that much money anymore.

You can set up with VERY good 2.4 systems for around 250 bucks. A preverbal drop in the bucket if you enjoy this hobby, understand the years of service the system will provide you and the safety and security of your boats.

The way I see it.. these system end up costing about 50 bucks a year to own.. The RXs will go longer so it’s the TX that gets replaced. (fuel nasty, dropping, broken parts in time, changing features, just cuz I want to)

I have one Futaba 2.4 system now 8 years old. (my work grunt radio).. yes is a 3PM 2.4 and working great, not ONE HIT, gas boat, glow boat, FE boat, whatever boat… still working NOT ONE GLITCH, EVER!

Make mine FUTABA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I have been running the Spektrum 2.4 GHz system since the day they came out. I don't have that first marine Rx, and have never had that first issue. I don't even have an antenna sticking up in a couple of my boats anymore. Any issue anyone has with ANY 2.4 GHz system is 100% user error.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Brad.. you are playing roulette.. trust me[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have “played” with them all. We have a very good RND team that’s JOB is testing, designing and developing radio systems. We have a 2.4G expert in house.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Again.. you are playing roulette with that old system.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Using that old system it won’t be long until you are doing the good old “Spec 2.4 reach for the sky”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Then again…… if you never use them they are all 100% reliable! Add 5 runs a year, 50 runs a year, 500 runs a year.. your percentage of failure goes up. You just aint hit that point yet. You will. Just not yet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Grim[/SIZE]

went I got into boats a few years ago (FE) all electric ones I started with spectrum and marine recivers...now I have 11 boats and all run the mr3000 recivers..never a glitch at all...now I don't know why but the gas guys hate spectrum...no one ever says why but I assume its the older systems an vibration from the gass and nitro motors that gave the radio trouble....cant say what to do but if it were me id go mr recivers....

Its not vibration.. its the way the system holds (old system) the signal and the way the system reflects over water.. No more and no less.. Does not matter what power system..

The farther out you are from the TX the more likely..

I was at the 2010 FE nats too.. and WAS paying attention to whats was going on.. I saw SEVERAL guys using Spec .. praising the radio gods with radios held high

Bottom line.. no more no less.

The new one is however better…….(I will never use it but its better)

Grim

its like this.. would you buy a new muscle car that requires 91 octain fuel and run 87 because you are cheap? can you get away with it.. ya sure.. you data log get rid of knock with changing timing and adjust fuel trims ect.. but that still won't fix the problem.. there is a reason to run 91 in a performance motor.

so if you guy a say spectrum because it was 200 bucks vs 500.. what did it save you the 1st time a boat... or a car.. or whatever hits the wall.. or the bank.. ect.. now that car or boat that may have been in the thousands is junk.. over say 500 bucks..

do as you will but the last thing i want is to get run over by someone with a cheap radio.

chris

I have seen a lot of my airplane buddies lose their planes with Spektrum. And they are suppose to work the best to that way. I seen a lot of boaters have trouble also with Spektrum. I have seen a lot of boaters have trouble with Futaba. But what I also see is the same people having trouble all the time of some kind with any radio.

A few years ago I was running 3PK on 75mhz. I was at a race and notice that other that had bought the 75mhz radios at a good price were turning on just like the friends with 2.4ghz with no freq clip. This scared me badly since I run a twin. So after the race I bought a 4PK and about 10 receivers and have not looked back. I wanted to upgrade to the new 4PLS but it will not support my receivers.

Now I do use the longer antennas on the receivers to get them higher on the boat. It make me feel good.

I feel the key to no problems on radios is a good install.

Should I recognise that one,terry? Or is my old one in a box as backup? I still know where 2 more are

The DSMR receiver is considered a duel sport receiver, its listed as a receiver you can use for boats by Spectrum, you're having no problems with em, USE EM!
default_smile.png
Futaba makes great stuff, all my boat stuff is 75mghz FM AND even AM, and still work great, BUT all my aircraft stuff is Spectrum...FANTASTIC! And I dont have to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house to buy it!

Terry, MAN! I LOVE those old radios!....never got around to getting one, wish I did!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_smile.png
You guys ever see what Marty Davis still uses? Its an old ACE R/C box transmitter!! LOVE IT!!

The issues still exist with the older Spec in the air. Having cost more then one to "go in".

NOW.. if you are a back yard, part time, hardly make the club field, you are minimizing the chance for a lock out. Get a few together however and its a new ball game.

Spec has made great strides in better systems. Out old boat racing buddy Andy K is part responsible or this. He is VERY good at his job and the new systems are far better.

I have lots of data and information.. but.. chose your weapon.. MAKE MINE FUTABA!

P.S... Knowing what I know... there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to put this bird up on ANYTHING but Futaba..

The issues still exist with the older Spec in the air. Having cost more then one to "go in".

NOW.. if you are a back yard, part time, hardly make the club field, you are minimizing the chance for a lock out. Get a few together however and its a new ball game.

Spec has made great strides in better systems. Out old boat racing buddy Andy K is part responsible or this. He is VERY good at his job and the new systems are far better.

I have lots of data and information.. but.. chose your weapon.. MAKE MINE FUTABA!

P.S... Knowing what I know... there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to put this bird up on ANYTHING but Futaba..
What power system are you using? Great looking bird!!

JD

Dunny.. this has a gas 34 four stroke in it.

Separate RX, Batter and regulator for the upper wing.. The fuse has it own radio system and regs.. ALL LIFE packs.

New this year will be a 14SG to guide it (the old 7C is gone)..

The pilot is fully articulated and runs a pre-programed routine.

go to grimracer1 on youtube to see the plane and pilot.

Thanks again Greg Hahn for the kit and your inspiration.

Very nice!

Airtronics line since 1990 and will never leave. M11X and M12 are terrific systems.

Now I'll go away, lol.

Latest posts

Back