so what happen??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroboy383

seems every where i turn people are ditching the .18 aqua and installing somthing else.. heard and seen pictures of the whole crank breakage issue,,but i have to say i have never once broke a crank, nor has my buddy..

i have to say i have done plenty of tinkering with mine.. and im very impressed by these $84.00 engines..

i have cleaned the poor transfer port machining up, if you look in the case the rear port was never really finished as far as depth into the crank bore,,they kinda just stopped short on the mill.. you can see just a tiny chip came out at the end,but it was about .010-.015 shy of poppin through..that alone changed my needle a bit and responded a well....

another thing mine has responded well to is the belt start upgrade.. machine the pto pin off the crank and .018 of the o.d of a cvrm back plate and you have belt start in a heart beat..PULL STARTS ARE AWFUL :( .... did notice a heavy vegas flywheel responds better to the belt than the aluminum flywheel if in a sv-27..

the carb barrels venturi opening has a smaller i.d than the body of the carb,, i match the barrel to the body and it seems to have helped some on throttle reponse..

another thing i have been experimenting with is raising the port timing..still have no solid results as i only had it out once but it turned a x440/2 to the point the engine would rev to the moon,,(over rev) i can see this thing slingin a x442 no issues.. spins a x637 with ease.

need to play with head space next the numbers are huge,, ill try sqeezin it up some..

all in all im lovin these $84.00 .18's think my next rigger is gettin one.. ;) ..even better when their pulled from boats and sold cheap...

mr. rtr champ bill gibson bought one from me that i modded,, but dont think he ever ran it????? did you bill??? would like to see how that one is holdin up and how you like it if you ran it....

alden

seems every where i turn people are ditching the .18 aqua and installing somthing else.. heard and seen pictures of the whole crank breakage issue,,but i have to say i have never once broke a crank, nor has my buddy..

i have to say i have done plenty of tinkering with mine.. and im very impressed by these $84.00 engines..

i have cleaned the poor transfer port machining up, if you look in the case the rear port was never really finished as far as depth into the crank bore,,they kinda just stopped short on the mill.. you can see just a tiny chip came out at the end,but it was about .010-.015 shy of poppin through..that alone changed my needle a bit and responded a well....

another thing mine has responded well to is the belt start upgrade.. machine the pto pin off the crank and .018 of the o.d of a cvrm back plate and you have belt start in a heart beat..PULL STARTS ARE AWFUL :( .... did notice a heavy vegas flywheel responds better to the belt than the aluminum flywheel if in a sv-27..

the carb barrels venturi opening has a smaller i.d than the body of the carb,, i match the barrel to the body and it seems to have helped some on throttle reponse..

another thing i have been experimenting with is raising the port timing..still have no solid results as i only had it out once but it turned a x440/2 to the point the engine would rev to the moon,,(over rev) i can see this thing slingin a x442 no issues.. spins a x637 with ease.

need to play with head space next the numbers are huge,, ill try sqeezin it up some..

all in all im lovin these $84.00 .18's think my next rigger is gettin one.. ;) ..even better when their pulled from boats and sold cheap...

mr. rtr champ bill gibson bought one from me that i modded,, but dont think he ever ran it????? did you bill??? would like to see how that one is holdin up and how you like it if you ran it....

alden
Hi Alden, I gotta say that even though im running a CVRM in my Vegas right now, i NEVER had a single problem with my Aqua .18! I actually picked up a couple more Aqua .18 motors along with the modded motor i got from you and im simply keeping them for spares...I may stick your motor in the boat one day just to see how it runs as it IS a nice motor! Unfortunatly here in NAMBA Dist 3 we dont have a stock class yet, just Mod...i hope that will change one day as i would have no problem sticking an Aqua .18 back in the boat....(Or maybe get another boat!! Thats just what i need!) I just remembered that i still have a dumas Lil Rascal rigger kit in my shop...that might be something to try an .18 in ! And I TOTALLY agree with you that cheap is GOOD! Bill

Alden,

the only thing we ever broke on the Aqub 18's are bearings and P/S (because we were running stupidly lean).

we have however broken 4 cranks on the CVRM.

Dan.

Alden,the only thing we ever broke on the Aqub 18's are bearings and P/S (because we were running stupidly lean).

we have however broken 4 cranks on the CVRM.

Dan.
Try shaving the head 1/10,000th. This increase in compression is very noticable. We have an .18 Aqu keeping up with a CVR, same boats.

Do you have any suggestions on modding these motors? I have a few of them and have never had any problems with them, I would just like to get a little more power out of them. I am running them in a Miss Vegas.

Do you have any suggestions on modding these motors? I have a few of them and have never had any problems with them, I would just like to get a little more power out of them. I am running them in a Miss Vegas.

Ill tell ya what, as a welcome to intlwaters, you send me one of them engines and ill tune you up for absolutely nothing. I just ask you pay shipping both ways and for any parts needed. Anyone else needs one tweaked a little let me know, no charge.

But obviosly if the engine is damaged in any way i would have to hault and ask if you want to continue.

Pm and we will talk

Alden

im goimg to have to try that. i have a couple of these motors. thanks for the idea, im going to try it. is it hard to do?

Cutting the ports in the sleeve can be tricky. But in all reality isnt very hard to do.

The belt start mod is a little harder in my opinion. The pto pin on the crank has to be machined off. And a cvrm backplate needs the .018 thou machined of the o.d of it.

Carb barrel is nothing but a porting party to match the venturi of the carb entrance and exit. I do this with a ball mill.

If you pull the engine down and look through the top of the sleeve bore,(with out the sleeve in it) you can see the rear most port of the case was never finished all the way through. And the foward port stops also right above the bearing and has almost a flat step. The rear port i clean all the way through,the foward port i machine a nice ramp down to the crank case. I do these with a ball mill also.

The buttons can be machined to increase compression but i havnt yet had enough play time with them to find a magic number. I.have had great results with no button mods, but this will for sure increase power. Would like about .008 head space.

Alden

i run a aqua in my sgx eagle funny huh anyway it does very good keepin up with alot of fast boats, nothin done to it but no head shims and a .12/.15 CV crank , no pull start, cooper pipe and it is very reliable

matt matt matt you just had to get it on the water huh lol! i love my little aqua motors, we cant run any other even in our mod class so us up here in wa all still have um'

Back