snow in the south

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

OMG,.. you would think we are preparing for nuclear fall out here..

1-3 in in Charlotte today.. people are locking there kids inside,.. raiding the store shelves..

They gotta get bread and milk. Lol. That's normal for my area. 1/2" of snow and the food stores are emptied.

Dang it was 83 here yesterday and 82 today have fun with that white stuff
default_ohmy.png

no boats here, almost 4" of ice on my pond. & i'm south of the mason-dixon line. this has been both the coldest & longest lasting cold spell since i moved up here in 2001.

holly cow,.. that's alot of ice man.. I have thought about one of those ski blade / tricycle / sailplane things for running on the ice. They can actually really fast.. like an RC sailboat on razor blades..

i don't think i've ever had much more than an inch before this.......yeah, ice boats haul butt!! i still vaguely remember the only full scale ice boat ride i ever took. early 50's on canidagua (sp?) lake in new york, our next door neighbors in rochester had a lake house there. their boat was more of an ice yacht. it had a windshield, & seated 3. 2 in front & the driver behind. to a very little boy, it seemed like we were going 100 mph+
default_ohmy.png
default_laugh.png

It always cracks me up seeing the south get snow. Get an inch and it closes down entire cities. Makes me chuckle coming from the midwest.

me too,.. but I understand more now.. There are no plows or salt trucks.. 1 inch packs down to 1/4 solid ice on the road,.. and it stays there!! it was pretty slick on the roads..

Even with plows or salt trucks (which they usually dont use on the neighborhood streets BTW, although they do spread sand) there is till much snow left on the streets. I guess me growing up in Iowa my entire life has me "conditioned"

Last edited by a moderator:
i was born in rochester, n.y., so i have a little "conditioning" too, rodney
default_laugh.png
. even salt on the roads has a minimum temp that it will work at. it's main purpose is to melt through the ice & create a layer of water between the ice & the road. that way it's bond to the surface is broken & the plows can remove it.

188" of snow so far. 12" of ice on my favorite lake! And there's a good possibility that Lake Michigan will freeze out to the Manitou Islands this winter.....

:eek:Ski resort owners would have killed for 188" in the sierras this year
default_ph34r.png

After some years of "conditioning" as Robin puts it, driving in snow is not bad. Being ready for the white stuff is a must. When I was in N. UT. I'd chuck my old tires when the tread depth got below 50% . I would not buy a new 4WD truck without a locking diff. in the back. I would never run my truck with less than a half tank of gas in the winter. I always kept a small tarp and a 60 ft. tow strap behind the seats for those that thought they knew how to drive in the snow.

On a funny note: my driveway sloped downhill at a pretty good angle. Nobody was allowed to park on the streets in the winter. One day when I got home from work there was about of 5" of fresh snow in the driveway and the back of my truck bed. I backed into the driveway opened the garage door and. set the E-brake and shifted into Park. I lowered the tailgate went and got a stiff broom and started sweeping out the back of the truck bed. Just about the time I got behind the truck to sweep the white junk off the tailgate here comes a full size Silverado sliding down the driveway chasing me into the garage
default_laugh.png
. It stopped about 6" away from the gearbox/headstock of my engine lathe and about a foot from me.

Latest posts

Back