SHOCK FROM GAS MOTOR

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACTION JACKSON

getting shocked holding gas motor while starting.
ground is going to case, all wires are good with no cracks. How do I stop this.
i can buy a silicon glove to stop the shock but hope I have a better fix.
thanks for your help.

Steve,

I assume you have your hand near the spark plug?
Sometimes it's hard to see if there is a crack in the silicone spark plug cap or the secondary wire. Also, make sure the plug gap is correct. Electricity always goes thru the path of the least resistance.

Marty

Thanks for your information guys. All my wires & plug cap has no cracks.
I do hold boat down while holding top of water jacket. Shouldn't I be able to hold the motor & touch the wire & not get shocked. I will try the wrap around the plug. Looks like a good idea

one of the most profound things I discovered while working on gas boats was to "curl the pull start cord" not pull with your shoulder. It take FAR less holding power to secure the boat as well as the speed of the pull it can some times be just one compression stroke and its running.

If you are holding the motor down by the top to keep the motor in and the boat on the stand.. consider curling the cord.

Light pressure on the boat.. a quick curl on the rope..

Grim

Make sure that you have a good clean spot for the ground wire and no paint under it.

Almost certainly a pin hole in the silicone boot. The spark can only jump so far. Usually where the canopy has smacked the top and the tip of the sparkplug knocked a hole through the boot.

The quality MSD boots are a lot tougher silicone than what the Zenoah red ones are made from. They are longer and go all the way down to the plug body.

Last edited:
Are these zenoah coils or aftermarket?
The red Zenoah boots seem to do it even worse than cheap China knockoffs. More real silicone in the red Zenoah boot probably the reason they are more susceptible to it happening and they are pretty thin just above where the sparkplug tip comes up through the spring with a flat top. The others usually have a dome of material there so there is more thickness above the plug tip. That is the biggest reason. Design.

Very hard to do that to the MSD either as they have a little thickness and the rest of the boot can't be pushed down on further to allow tip to come through as easy. The boot goes all the way down on the plug and is supported all the way around by the plug body.

Look at the flat top on Zenoah. Then the big dome on the RCMK. Obvious which one has a problem. Zenoah is very thin to the plug tip and bust through if boot is knocked at all on top over the plug tip.

2CmvrbD.jpg

Last edited:
The red Zenoah boots seem to do it even worse than cheap China knockoffs. More real silicone in the red Zenoah boot probably the reason they are more susceptible to it happening and they are pretty thin just above where the sparkplug tip comes up through the spring with a flat top. The others usually have a dome of material there so there is more thickness above the plug tip. That is the biggest reason. Design.

Very hard to do that to the MSD either as they have a little thickness and the rest of the boot can't be pushed down on further to allow tip to come through as easy. The boot goes all the way down on the plug and is supported all the way around by the plug body.

Look at the flat top on Zenoah. Then the big dome on the RCMK. Obvious which one has a problem. Zenoah is very thin to the plug tip and bust through if boot is knocked at all on top over the plug tip.

2CmvrbD.jpg
Where do you get the msd plug cover. I have sense put silicon tube around plug & that has helped a lot. I will ground to mount next but the ground is to lower case & clean.

Back