Setup for Aeromarine miss Bud

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerbob

Guys,

I'm new to scale boats. Picked up an 1/8 scale Aeromarine Miss Budweiser. Right off the bat, I plan to:

1. do away with the oversize cowl opening by closing it up to the point where only the turbine cowling is removable.

2. Move the radio box into the nose.

3. Go to 2 fuel tanks and move them into the hull somehow (still working on that one :lol: )

4. Mount the rear fins and wing in a more logical manner.

What I need help with is strut selection and where the balance point should be. Any advice pro and con will be appreciated. Oh, been R/C boating for 15 years or so.

Thanks

Robert

tracerbob said:
Guys,

I'm new to scale boats. Picked up an 1/8 scale Aeromarine Miss Budweiser. Right off the bat, I plan to:

1. do away with the oversize cowl opening by closing it up to the point where only the turbine cowling is removable.

2. Move the radio box into the nose.

3. Go to 2 fuel tanks and move them into the hull somehow (still working on that one :lol: )

4. Mount the rear fins and wing in a more logical manner.

What I need help with is strut selection and where the balance point should be. Any advice pro and con will be appreciated. Oh, been R/C boating for 15 years or so.

Thanks

Robert
You can make those mods to the cowling but dont add too much weight. the front radio box should work ok. If you make some bulk heads to hold up the deck that you cut off, just leave some access holes for the tanks to sit in. Lots of struts would work for this boat the speedmaster or the areomarine brand struts and octura have good struts.

Phil

Thanks for responding Phil. I'm still giving the cowl mod a lot of thought. My latest idea is to make a one piece glass tub affair that sits down into the hull center section attaching to the deck and to the floor. To offset the weight penalty, I was thinking of removing most of the engine rails as the "tub" would structurally take it's place and free up the tub walls for access holes. Ya know, it would have been a lot easier to have bought a different brand hull, but I like a challenge. :D

One last question. On a picklefork type hull, where would the balance point be? I'm thinking at or around back of the front sponsons.

you should also check the angle of attack on the aeromarine miss bud hull. You may find that the left sponson may need some angle of attack added to make this hull ride correctly. I am with Phil on the be careful on how much weight you add to the hull thing. Check the weight of what you are adding verses the weight of what you have. On this hull you should get things as far foward as possible and still keep the boat scale. The back of the sponsons may be ok. definately no farther foward than that, in my opinion. Good luck with your project. Ken

Lets try that so I dont look like a guest. hehe. the left sponson may have a negitive angle of attack on it. Place the boat on a level surface and compare the left and right sponson setting the boat at a normal looking ride angle. You could set the boat upside down and set the bottom of the hull level, and use an angle finder on each sponson to find out what the angle of attack is. hope I made sense. good Luck, Ken

Ken,

You right! :blink: I didn't even notice that! Holy crap! Why would Aeromarine do that. It looks like I would have add over a 1/4 inch of material to make it match the other side. Major bummer. :( How would I go about correcting that?

Robert

Back