Servo Replacement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007clint

I just got an older 60 Roadrunner with a Picco 67. I am cleaning it up and upgrading it.

It has a Futaba FP-S34 (of unknown condition) - I see that this had 112.6 oz in of torque.

I also have two JR DS 8417's in good shape - I see that these are rated at 82 oz in of torque.

Would one be enough (ie, is 82 oz in enough)?

If not, should I install both (164 oz in of torque but 1.36 oz heavier)?

Is there a problem in using dual servos?

Last edited:
I just got an older 60 Roadrunner with a Picco 67. I am cleaning it up and upgrading it.
It has a Futaba FP-S34 (of unknown condition) - I see that this had 112.6 oz in of torque.

I also have two JR DS 8417's in good shape - I see that these are rated at 82 oz in of torque.

always use the bigest torque you get on the rudder for 67 or bigger specailly on hydros as there is some serious loading on the rudders if you canget them with higher speeds as well then you got it made .... the other two only need to be std torque but it is a big help to have them high speed ;)

Is there a problem in using dual servos?
Hello Clint,

If set up correctly, 82 oz should be fine. Just make sure you use a 6 volt Rx pack. I wouldn't recommend trying to use two servos.

-Buck-

Gotta disagree with my buddy Buck on this one. I consider 100oz. torque the minimum on anything larger than a 20 sized hydro. I also don't care for digital servos in boats, I personally think they are a waste of $$ & drain your batt. packs down faster. Put a Futaba 3302 in there & be done with it. If I recall the S34 is a 1/4 scale case size so the 3302 will be a drop in replacement, no reworking the radio box, another plus. At 6 volts the 3302 will give you 162oz. of torque, won't put excessive drain on your batt. pack & Tower sells them for $49.99. Also the added benefit of the larger case is bigger gears which are stronger. B)

Gotta disagree with my buddy Buck on this one. I consider 100oz. torque the minimum on anything larger than a 20 sized hydro. I also don't care for digital servos in boats, I personally think they are a waste of $$ & drain your batt. packs down faster. Put a Futaba 3302 in there & be done with it. If I recall the S34 is a 1/4 scale case size so the 3302 will be a drop in replacement, no reworking the radio box, another plus. At 6 volts the 3302 will give you 162oz. of torque, won't put excessive drain on your batt. pack & Tower sells them for $49.99. Also the added benefit of the larger case is bigger gears which are stronger. B)
OK, I decided to err on the side of caution and wnet by my LHS and picked up a 1/4 scale 189oz-in servo.

Thanks everyone.

Back