1/8th Scale Servo Size

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Norton

Hey guys...building my first scale, what are you using for rudder servos? I've been using Futaba S3305's in my sport 40's, are they enough? I have a number of new Futaba FP-S34's, some may be unfamiliar with these, like a waterproof 1/4 scale servo with 112 oz. of torque, would one of these be a better choice? thank you Kerry

Hey Kerry,

I use standard size high torque servos in scale and sport 40 hulls - Airtronics 94161 analog To be specific. I don't believe they are produced any longer.

I use a Futaba S-34 type 1/4 scale servo in my Classic Thunderboat (CT). I think quarter scale are to large and heavy for 1/8 the Scale boats generally.

I only used them in my CT because I had four Hitec 1/4 scale servos in hand - NIB, that I had around the house but we're older models. Murphy's Law implies that if you have a replacement part -that part will not fail. That turned out to be false. Each Hitec servo failed during three test runs, so I ordered a Futaba S5301 that I thought would fit and mount in the place of the Hitec voids. That servo arrived the afternoon before we departed for the 2010 NAMBA Nats, and has worked well since.

CHEERS!!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
After similar experiences as Bob a number of years back I quit using Hitec and went all Futaba, well before I became part of the Futaba marine team. I personally like the S9405 servo for steering in my scale boats, if you prefer digital you can go with the S9155.

Kerry, It's been a few years since I've run a 1/8 size boat and things have changed but I liked the Airtronics 94358 MG BB 200 oz. standard size case. No failures.These have since been replaced by digital servos.

I'm going to agree with everyone else's posts, stick with a high-torque standard sized servo(not going to give a number, type or brand as that's been done above) as they take less room and weigh less than a 1/4 scale. If you can fit it in, as well as if the RX and servo can handle it, go with a larger 6V battery pack as it will give you more torque as well

I am very intrigued by the waterproof servo above!!

I have used Hitec 645MG standard size high torque servos for years in all of my scales for rudder

I use hitec 85mg for throttle and third channel

These have been very successful for me

if spectrum servos are good with you u might try the s6030 it 278 at 6 volts...with the bigger boats I try to go a little overboard

Back