Series VS Parallel batteries?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach Davis

Supporting Member
I am putting together a catamaran that will have a single motor. I would like to run it on 4S with 5000mah available. Is it better to run (2) 4S 2500mah packs in Parallel or (2) 2S 5000 in series?

Thanks,
Zach

Hey Zack... I was at my LHS today and asked the same question...there reply was this....if a cell goes out on a 2 cell pack its less $$ on the wallet..

There is no difference. It comes down to which batteries and fitment in the hull. I prefer to run small cells in parallel given the option.
Wouldn't you get double the run time out of 2, 4s in parallel compared to 2, 2s in series. 2, 2S in series would only equal 1, 4s battery.

I like using 2S stick packs with series connection in my FE limited cats. I find the boat handles better when the packs are installed outboard and on the bottom of the sponson runners (down low). Lowers the CG of the boat! The larger 2S 5000-6000 mAh packs also tend to have lower internal resistance, than the same brands 4S 2500 size cells. Usually the bigger the capacity lipo cell, the lower the IR!

The boat in question will have a full P motor - 5000mah no matter how you cut it isn't enough for sprints PLUS a single 4S 5000 would need to be centered where there won't be enough room on the tunnel. 2 X 2S 5000 in series isn't sufficient either as above.

Back