SEM 42043 Primer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked their flouresent colors. But they discontinued them. I was able to stock up on the color for the Winston Eagle dayglo orange.
Mike

SEM's quality seems to have gone downhill in the last few years. This past spring paid $28 for an aerosol can of SEM matte black specifically designed for exterior automotive panels like the tailgate center on my '70 El Camino SS. Sprayed like crap, inconsistent pressure, splattering and constantly clogging spray tip. Waited a week, sanded down and reshot with a $12 can of Rustoleum Pro-Grade matte black, turned out perfect. 2 years ago had issues with SEM interior spray dye (this time shot from spray gun) with inconsistent coloring on my Ford GT40 replica. Fortunately the local paint supplier replaced it no charge and second batch shot ok. SEM used to be the go to in automotive specialty dyes and sprays, now not so much......
EC6.jpg

38 &^%$ dollars at the local autoparts store (I dont mind blowing my money locally) for a can of 42043 and its GARBAGE... they have little say about vetting out products.. so I am not cranked at the store.. but SEM.... DONE!

Grim

38 &^%$ dollars at the local autoparts store (I dont mind blowing my money locally) for a can of 42043 and its GARBAGE... they have little say about vetting out products.. so I am not cranked at the store.. but SEM.... DONE!

Grim
I’ve used it a couple times now, The first time was the Gray High Build a couple years ago and the 2nd was just recently and it was the 42043 white high build primer. I can’t say I have any complaints thus far. The cans sprayed ok and it flashed and dried in 58 deg temps. The one thing I ran into was that it splattered on one of my parts because my nitrile glove got in the way but that was my fault I guess. I wonder if you got an old can or just a defective one. I agree the cost sucks. My local supplier sells it for like 25-27.00 a can. I was able to find it for 19.00 a can at JB Tools online. Still pricey but I needed a few cans and the savings added up at 6.00-8.00 per can. Sorry about your issues, it sucks when you have to sand and repeat. I used Rustoleum 2x white primer last year and tried using 3m spot filler on it and it melted the s**t. That was incredibly annoying. I will keep you posted on my project but so far so good.

two cans from two different sources.. same result..

I dont know.. it got to the point on one of the cans the flow "STOPPED" TWICE.. (and this was the second can. the RE-DO.. ) I mean I could not get two bad in a row.. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhtttttttttttttttt..

Grim

two cans from two different sources.. same result..

I dont know.. it got to the point on one of the cans the flow "STOPPED" TWICE.. (and this was the second can. the RE-DO.. ) I mean I could not get two bad in a row.. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhtttttttttttttttt..

Grim
Yeah that’s incredibly frustrating. For that amount of money, those things should be bullet proof.

Back